the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Electrical Problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
ziggyb222 
Silver - Posts: 593
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 7:08 PM / IP Logged  

Seems a though all of the issues you are having stem from the steering colume.. the wipers and lights. Are the lights and wipers on the same stick control?  If so, the problem might be right in that assembly..

NowYaKnow 
Gold - Posts: 1,217
Gold spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2006 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
Seems like most of the suggestions here are on point. The red park light wire at the steering column is negative. If you hooked up the positive output from the module to it, you fried something.
Aside from that making sure all the plugs are all the way in and the grounds are tight would be all I would look for.
Good luck,
Mike
floaterr 
Silver - Posts: 383
Silver spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 1:37 AM / IP Logged  
Possible for some reason that ground was pulled through on of the ECU's pos wires and fried it. I've done this on alarms before and the things just acted freaky and random. Kinda like lightning damage. Sometimes it obvoius, sometimes it random.
Hopefully it's just a bad ground (dim lights) or connector. Pull the column apart and double check..
**Also check all fuses with meter. You might have a "high resistane open", or basically a mostly open circuit (fuse) that passes enough current to kinda power up things. Starving (current limiting) the ECU..
Good luck
rfh1234 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 7:41 AM / IP Logged  
The thick white wire had a jumper for either neg. or pos. It wasn't even plugged into alarm brain. Nothing was actually plugged into alarm brain. So no power ever went into alarm and out into the wires that are hooked up. I made all connections, but did not plug anything into alarm. I wanted to check status of vehicle and make sure everything was still normal before plugging things into alarm and proceeding.  I appreciate that people are responding. It makes me feel like at least I'm not completely on my own. Thanks. And any other ideas would be greatly appreciated
kohara73 
Copper - Posts: 192
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 9:04 AM / IP Logged  
Now that things are working "better" than they were before, have you tried a reset with the scan tool?  Does the car have daytime running lights?  It almost sounds as if one of your igniton wires is getting power when it's not supposed to.  I would meter them also to see if either one is live all the time.
Keith
rfh1234 
Member - Posts: 28
Member spacespace
Posted: March 19, 2006 at 9:15 AM / IP Logged  

Yes car has daytime running lights and it does seem as if some things are getting power when they shouldn't. I just dont know how. Nothing can be crossed or anything. As I took out all traces of alarm system yesterday I looked closely at everything to see if something got crossed somewhere but found nothing. I carefully taped all bare portions wires etc. I am currently looking for the directions for my OBDII. I hardly ever use it and don't remember exactly how it works, plus the book has all the codes in it 

If worse comes to worse I'll take it to dealer and see if I can pass it off as something that just "happened" I've taped everything up etc. It looks like nobody was messing around. Actually, when I took a close look at the factory wiring job, it looks pretty hack, just electrical tape etc and not even a nice job of wrapping it. Maybe I can catch a break and get someone who doesn't investigate too far, but rather just hooks it to computer, finds problem and fixes it

Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic