icon

Box building and choosing subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
badtazboy 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
I have cruised the forums and did search but with help to me so here I post.
I am construction illiterate and cheap (don’t want to pay a shop 300+ to build).
What I want to do is build a box to fit into my spare tire well, for the subs to sit flat with the rest of the trunk, to not lose any space (need all the trunk space I can get) and to house 2 12’s (which have not bought yet until I figure out how much room I will have in a box).
I have a Saturn SL1 with spare well dimensions of 23½L X 26½W X 7¼H.
My first instinct was fiberglass but after reading it seems complicated (even with walk thoughts). So I figured it would be easier to build with mdf.
Another general question which might help in me choosing a sub is generally how much airspace is needed between the magnet of the sub and the bottom/back of the box?
When I talked to a local shop they suggested Jl 12w1’s, fiberglassed bottom and 2 sheets of ¾ mdf (to support the sub). But that would be me losing 1½ of trunk space.
And if going to have to lose the space and being illiterate wouldn’t it just be easier to drop 2 or even 4 (another shop even told me I could possibly drop 4 12’s) free air subs in?
Clarion VRX935VD
Clarion DVH940 5.1 Processor
Infinity Kappa 65.7i
Clarion SRK5
Stinger Wiring
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 2:44 PM / IP Logged  

Consider this. Given the fact that the box is the most important part of your sub system, would you build your own sub? If you do not have the necessary tools or are not adept at woodwork or fibreglass, have the box built for you as it will guarantee results that you on the other hand cannot. Just my.02

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  
box building in saturns is pretty easy as the trunk possesses no major obstacles.
however the trunk spare tire well isnt really optimal for 2 12"s
( i have owned 4 saturns, 1 for SPL, 1 turbo'd,2 for daily)
ideally you may want to check out using the side wheel wells, there is someone who has done it... and it was nice looking.
if you are going to approach the project heres my suggestion.
coat the spare tire well bottom in Fibreglass and resin to make it hard and more resistant to rattling... then raise the trunk floor (read put down a thicker piece of MDF or other building material) and use that to mount the subs... then seal around the lip of the Spare tire well.
Good luck and check cardomain for some installs.
also TurboSaturns.net is a good source of info
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 12, 2006 at 4:56 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with forbidden.  This project you want done is not a walk-through, "just a hammer and a razor knife will do" sort of build.  This is done by a professional if you want everything you asked for here.  Save up your pennies and have it done right.  Those shops you mentioned have already begun earning their pay.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
badtazboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 4:18 PM / IP Logged  
saturnsubohio:
found someone on cardomain who had done what I am looking but I want mine to drop lower (want to hide them under the carpet, going for a no show install). Looks like it’s just a basic build. I guess my question should have been initially:
Does anyone know of a good pair of shallow mount subs?
I am not opposed to doing 10’s.
Here’s picks off cardomain:
Box building and choosing subs -- posted image.
Clarion VRX935VD
Infinity Kappa 65.7i
Clarion SRK5
Stinger Wiring
bandarenko2003 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  

Hi everybody, what subwoofer would be the best match to sinle Q-logic 12" bandpass enlosure. I was considering Alpine R. And box is not tuned yet.

Thanks a lot for any opinion!

Igor
geepherder 
Platinum - Posts: 3,668
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 9:18 PM / IP Logged  

You're going about this the wrong way.  Once you choose a sub you like, decide what kind of enclosure to use (based on what's recommended for it, and your liking).  Then either build one (have one built) or buy a prefab to fit the bill, and select an amplifier.  Do some searches in here (upper right of the screen) and read up- you'll find lots of useful links and info.  Q-logic makes several kinds of boxes of all different types/sizes, and yes, they are already "tuned". 

Once you feel you have a grasp of things, you can post back with a question (and create your own thread).  "Best" is about as generic a question as any, and would be like me asking you how "blue is blue?"  It's too tough a question to tackle.  Don't take this like me jumping down your throat, I want to guide you in the right direction so you can ask the proper question to get the info you really need.

My ex once told me I have a perfect face for radio.
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2006 at 9:26 PM / IP Logged  

I would like to point something out.

You say you need all the trucnk space you can get. That tells me you're going to be putting things in the trunk.

That would require you putting things on top of the subs. They generally do not appreciate being held down, where they cannot function properly. You may need to consider some sort of protective device for tops of your subs. The half-a aluminum grate style covers from wal-mart are not an acceptable answer either (you know, the one's that cost 5 bucks)

saturn(what ever goes here) has a good idea. the side wells may not be a bad idea.

Remember, you can spend $5,000 on a pair of subs, but they're worthless if you squish them, and put a hole in the cone.

Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
badtazboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 10:53 AM / IP Logged  
Back again still working on my trunk project.
I’m reading that the fiberglass project that I originally was going to try is going to be way expensive.
So I’ve decided to go with just an mdf well.
Now since I’m not pushing a lot of power (460@2ohm) and just looking to get some bass in the back I’ve considered running free-air/ib subs.
With free-air/ib would you still need a divider for 2 subs?
The two subs I’ve been considering are;
Kenwood (KFCW300S) (150rms/600max)
Infinity Kappa’s (102.7w or 122.7w) (350rms/1400max)
As for protection I would just use a sub covers
Wouldn’t I get better sound from the spare well over the sides?
Clarion VRX935VD
Infinity Kappa 65.7i
Clarion SRK5
Stinger Wiring
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
bass = omnidirectional.. so the "sound" you hear would be equivalent.
it will come down to how you build the box and how you prepare your trunk.. i myself suggest taking off the reflector and tailights and getting some deadening materials in there.
also the exhaust heat shield is a common problem with saturns
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic