the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Box building and choosing subs

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 11:40 AM / IP Logged  
That would be a no to the free air subs. A free air sub needs as much air space behind it as possible and it needs to be 100% sealed off from the back pressure wave of the sub. What you should be doing is dropping the must have 2 subs idea. Go to one good dvc 4 ohm sub, have the proper slot port enclosure built for it and call it a day. Next thing to consider here is simple. Put your hand over your mouth and talk, that is what you will be doing to your sub when the carpet is over it. Then the carpet is going to flap around like your butt cheeks during a wet fart.....ewwwww. So you have a couple of design flaws to consider here. You can always rebuild the floor of the trunk to come up another 2 inches or so, don't limit out ideas for the box based on leaving the floor where it is.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
boug0752 
Copper - Posts: 73
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
I believe that forbidden really hit it on the head with the wet fart explanation...Box building and choosing subs - Page 2 -- posted image. You really should be looking at the possibilty of building a false floor so that you can have the correct volume and what not. How often do we really need that extra two inches of trunk height anyways...
If your counting pennies and dimes then maybe you shouldn't be spending every penny and dime you have!!
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
I have done more false floors than I can count. It is the only way to go if you intend to use your trunk or utility area . Easy to carpet to match, Don't rush on making the top piece, gets some cardboard and make a template for each side. In a trunk I usually use 2 pieces. If your handy enough to do this you can mount your amp under this false floor, I would recomend using a cooling fan and possibley a vent above the amp. The best benefit of a false floor it slow thieves down....
badtazboy 
Member - Posts: 36
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
Ok enough on dreaming of going flat. Reality has hit.
False floor 2 piece?
Would I be assuming that means I would make a box specked to sub then put 2 pieces (shaped to the floor) over the box with the subs open?
Suggested was 1 good 4 ohm dvc, what would be the advantages of dvc vs svc, 2 or 4 ohm, 1 or 2 subs, 10 or 12?
Suggestions on a “good”, “better”, “best” sub? I know that will just open up a ton of suggestions. Currently I have a set of older Kenwood’s. But I know there are better out there.
saturnsubohio 
Copper - Posts: 114
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 1:13 PM / IP Logged  
Image Dynamics for FreeAir
2006 WRX STI
Electrical Engineer
Ohio University Alumni
arrow12 
Silver - Posts: 527
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 3:44 PM / IP Logged  

The advantages of a dvc over svc sub is the wiring options.  For instance...  A subwoofer that has 2 4 ohm voice coils can be either wired in series for an 8 ohm load, in parallel for a 2 ohm load, or you can even only wire one voice coil for a 4 ohm load.  You must also take into account that the subs power handling will be reduced by about half if you use one voice coil.

There is an advantage of a 2 ohm load over a 4 ohm load, but it all depends on what you want.  An amplifier that can "receive" a 2 ohm load will put out about two times the power in a 2 ohm load when compared to a 4 ohm load.  It usually isn't exactly twice as much; it's usually less.  This can only help you though if your amp is 2 ohm stable.  The problem is...  The lower the ohm load you give your amp, the worse the sound quality is.  Guessing that your a daily listener, this won't really matter.  You probably won't even be able to tell the difference between a 2 ohm's or 4 ohm's sound quality.  If you're in a sound quality competition, then that could be important. 

The difference between a 10 inch and 12 inch sub if usually loudness and bass extension.  A 12 inch sub is generally louder than its 10 inch counterpart.  This is due to the increase in surface area.  Larger subs can also gain a little low end extension.  This doesn't always occur, but a 12 inch sub might be able to play lower than a 10 inch.  Everything I just said though only applies if the 10 inch and 12 inc h subs are the same brand and manufacturer.  Things vary greatly between different lines and brands of subs.

The whole "good," "better," and "best" sub can't really be answered.  There are a lot of things to take into consideration.  You have space requirements, money limitations, and most notibaly, hearing differences.   The best advice I or anyone else on this forum can give you is to go listen to different subs.  Everyone hears sound differently and has a different perception of what is good and what is bad.  I, for instance, find the Infinity Kappa Perfect subs to sound a lot better than many other subs in the same price range and higher.  Someone else might think that the Perfects sound like crap though.  It's all in the ear of the beholder Box building and choosing subs - Page 2 -- posted image..  So my advice is to go listen to what you can and pick what YOU want.

Well that's the best I can do for now.  If I said anything wrong, misleading, or unclear, then please correct me or ask.

That's my opinion. Take it, leave it, or correct me.
boardinbum 
Silver - Posts: 358
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 4:39 PM / IP Logged  
I would listen to what forbidden said. Drop the 2 sub idea, put your money into a a single, 4 ohm dvc sub with a ~500 watt RMS rating, and have your local shop build you the proper box for it.
I would suggest looking into a single Alpine Type R SWR-1242D - 500 RMS, works well in a 1.7 ft^3 vented box, and imo, sounds very nice.
badtazboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2006 at 5:35 PM / IP Logged  
My amp in Eclipse PA5532. It pushes 200rms/460max@2 ohms. Not a lot of power but it’s clean.
General rule of thumb isn’t it best to match the rms?
Wouldn’t it defeat the purpose of running a high power sub?
Clarion VRX935VD
Clarion DVH940 5.1 Processor
Infinity Kappa 65.7i
Clarion SRK5
Stinger Wiring
badtazboy 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 28, 2006 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
Talked to 2 shops today.
One agrees with the single 12 and another suggests 2 10’s (Kicker cvr10).
1st shop didn't go into any details just suggested.
2nd shop asked and narrowed down a little more also gave me dimensions for building my own box. Based on my choice of music (rock) the 2 10’s would give me the bass to bring out the music.
Clarion VRX935VD
Clarion DVH940 5.1 Processor
Infinity Kappa 65.7i
Clarion SRK5
Stinger Wiring
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic