icon

Does price include parts?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 15, 2006 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
Just to throw my 2 cents in, in virginia, an install is about 50-65$ an hour.
if you figure the average time vs. the price.
the remote start, keyless, alarm system install is about 200 dollars, figure 4 hours worth of work is what is slated down, and you're up to 50 an hour.
plus, parts.
that's where the real money comes in
74 dollars for a universal bypass installed
a part that takes 10 mins to put in, and costs 23.00...
not to mention in most cases you're paying the cost of the key.
so 35 bucks an hour is a steal if it's quality work. but i bet they just pad it out to 6 hours worth of work to even the $
mrcllusb 
Copper - Posts: 489
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2006 at 8:24 AM / IP Logged  
I could see if my alarm was a had 50 hookups.but i've only got 37.The only person it may take 6hrs do to this install is me and that's because i have all the time in the world and have a wife that likes to ask me about what i'm doing and what it does..This system i have should take 2 1/2 hrs tops for a professional.I did work at an install shop at one time for a couple months.Before i actually started working,i would spend the day there just watching the installers.From prep to completion..I'm a firm belive in researching before i step into anything..I know that there are some shops out there that will bs the jobjust to keep the meter going.I've been to places where i see the installers spend more time talking during an installation then they do working.If i took out the bs time i tell ya the install coud of been cut in half.Now i'm not saying that all shops are like this,but some are and customers like myself like to try and keep a hold on how long the meter keeps going.I'd rather be informed from research like form here then to go into a shop blind..
"ole blake"
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2006 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  
I don't think you have listed what kind of vehicle you have, or what model alarm it is. An average alarm/remote start install takes me 4-5 hours. Bypass modules are another $50-75. I would charge $200 labor if you brought your own product, and it was a product I was familiar with. If it was a crappy brand, I wouldn't install it. I would do a top quality install. The quality of my install could not be done in 2 1/2 hours.
mrcllusb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2006 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  
I've got a clifford arrow3 w/intellistart.Going in a 98 dodge intrepid with black key.Lets think about this from a consumers standpoint.As a business i understand you have to stay in business and get paid accordingly to your profession.But don't you think from a consumers standpoint when a customer brings you in lets say a good quality system and you quote 200.00.But you'll sell a system installed for 225.00 let's say.How do you think the consumer feels at that point.Trust me i understand from a business aspect,but sometimes the decisions a consumer is givin is just ridiculous.I would rather a business be honest with me and just say look to not lose money,i'm gonna charge you the same price it would cost me to if you bought one of my systems..I'm in the military and have a no bs kinda attitude,and i would rather you just tell me what your intentions are rather than to try and bs me with longwinded technicalities.Honesty is the best policy.Cuz if i get the feeling that ur trying to bs me and start tap dancing,i'm gonna dig deeper to see how long you wanna dance.That's the goo dthing about the military.If you get a business that's shady and service members have had problems with that business,you'll just get black listed..Which means you go on a list that is posted base wide for that area that tells military personel and family members to stay away from it..
"ole blake"
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2006 at 11:12 AM / IP Logged  

A quality install for an alarm/remote start usually takes us 4-5 hours. $200 is generally what I charge for something like this, including parts on this vehicle.

Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2006 at 11:34 PM / IP Logged  
Alright dude, if you have a shop in your area selling a good quality starter/alarm combo for 225 installed then let me know where it is cause Im going there. My shop has the entry level alarm starter combo's at 429 installed and the step up models at 599 installed. If I get a alarm starter brought in that I think is acceptable to put in a vehicle I will charge 175 for basic install and then charge standard pricing for add ons. Like 80 for a transponder bypass, 50 dollars for door locks, 40 dollars for trunk release, 30 dollars for starter kill, etc etc etc. These are the standard prices I charge regardless of where the unit comes from. I dont charge by the hour and I got to be honest with you, If I bring in your car and I tell you its gonna be 4 hours and I do it in 2 1/2, than be happy I got your car back to you faster than the book time, and on that same note if your car is booked for 4 hours and it takes 6 becuase of some kinda hang up, it doesnt matter if its a hang up on my end or the vehicle end or the product end, im not charging you more. This is to me the fairest way for me to do buisness and I have never had anyone complain about it.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
JWorm 
Platinum - Posts: 2,208
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  
mrcllusb, an alarm/remote start combo unit starts at $400 with me. Figure $200 labor, $200 product. I have no idea where you see alarm/remote starters installed for $225, but whereever it is they will be out of business real quick. My labor quote was not blown up and "rediculous" like you claim.      If you asked me to do a combo unit installed for $225 at my shop I would have asked you to leave because you are being absolutely rediculous and wasting my time. Ooh...I'm scared of your black list. Hopefully not all our service members are cheapos like you. From your previouse posts on this sight I actually though you may have had some experience in this industry. Now I see how clueless you really are.
mrcllusb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 12:21 AM / IP Logged  
Here in upstate ny,a basic alarm/remote start unit starts at about 250.00 installed,and that's by a professional shop that understands the type of people that are in the area that they have their business.The shop is called installations unlimited in syracuse ny.Feel free to go to their website and check out there shop.One of the biggest and most well know shops in the area.They have yet to get one complaint from anyone i know that has had work done there.Very well known and a pleasure to do business with.But to have the cost of a basic alarm/starter unit in your shop to start at 400.00 is kinda high is what i'm saying.There should be a baseline and go up from there,but it seems that you're starting just about at the top and that's it..And to the consumer it's like ,"hey you can't afford it then oh well tough."I'm not doubting that your work is good,but your business attitude is like if the little people can't afford it then to bad..And as far as the blacklist goes it's not about price,it's about the quality of customer satisfaction.If your customer satisfaction sucks,then yes i'm gonna let my fellow service members and their families to stay as far away from your shop as possible period.It's the same concept as business around a military post.Most of them understand that there must be a military discount to stay in bussiness.If not then it's a we do for you ,but your doing nothing for us.Simple...
"ole blake"
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 12:30 AM / IP Logged  
If you dont mind me asking, what brand are these things. Evey single shop I have ever went to charged a minimum of 150 dollars for just the labour to put the unit in and the units are clearly worth more than 100 bucks, so thats why Im asking. If its like a bulldog or some other piece of junk like that then it would make more sense but for it to be a QUALITY product and be that cheap just makes no sense at all.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
mrcllusb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 12:32 AM / IP Logged  
Raven,thanks for being honest.That all that i'm looking for..If you say to me hey it's gonna cost me 175..then great i'm with you.But to say hey it's 50.00hr and it gonna take 4 hrs.Then it ends up taking 6 and i get charged for 6 when i come back,the first thing i get told is,"I know i told you 4hrs,but it took 6 so that's an extra 100.00,"i'm gonna be like wtf..That's your problem cuz you quoted me 4hrs..
"ole blake"
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic