icon

Does price include parts?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mrcllusb 
Copper - Posts: 489
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 12:34 AM / IP Logged  
The first unit i looked at was the audiovox aps-996a that was somewhere close to 300.00 installed..
"ole blake"
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 12:43 AM / IP Logged  

mrcllusb wrote:
Raven,thanks for being honest.That all that i'm looking for..If you say to me hey it's gonna cost me 175..then great i'm with you.But to say hey it's 50.00hr and it gonna take 4 hrs.Then it ends up taking 6 and i get charged for 6 when i come back,the first thing i get told is,"I know i told you 4hrs,but it took 6 so that's an extra 100.00,"i'm gonna be like wtf..That's your problem cuz you quoted me 4hrs..

Im a very firm believer in sticking to what I quote. If I look at a vehicle in person, quote a price and then something comes up and it takes longer I absorb the cost involved. I have done several cars where I am doing basic decks and end up doing full amp bypasses for free because I miss quoted. However if I feel the customer is lying to me, than thats another story. Quick case in point, yesterday I have a guy show up who has a acura vigor that had a deck stolen out of it. Its his car and I asked him if there was any other work done to the car besides the deck that used to be in it. He said no. So I install the deck and when I get done the front passanger speaker doesnt work. I ask if it worked when the old deck was in the car and he says yes. Alright then, I try to bump the speaker and that doesnt work so, I pull apart the door and find that the speaker wasnt hooked up and the wires were not even close to being hooked up. I fix the problem there and it works fine, go figure. So the customer lied to my face on more than one ocasion so he paid for it in the end because I charged him extra. Its one of the rare ocasions where I charged more than quoted but thats because I cant provide an acurate quote without acurate information to start with.

double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
mrcllusb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 1:10 AM / IP Logged  
Raven you sound like a shop i wouldn't mind bringing my vehicle to to get worked on.It's the shops that tell you one thing when you bring the car in,then when you come back to pick it up,they're telling you another.That was my whole point..To tell a customer one thing,then when it's all said and done,you just raped there pocket is just wrong.And the customer is stuck with having to pay extra because of something on your end is what some of these businesses are doing.As a professional,you generally know when a particular vehicle comes in if you've worked on it before what it's gonna take to complete that install.So that customer knows exactlyhow much it'as gonna cost.What if you quoted a price of 200.00,and all they brought with them is 200.00.Then when the job is done,you had to do something extra that cost another 50.00 and they don't have it.Their stuck without there vehicle until they come up with the money..Those are the types of places i can't stand.Atleast if it's gonna cost a lil more give the customer a call first,just don't do something figuring hey they'll just have to deal with it..Thanks for your positive feedback Raven i really appreciate it.Ya know Raven,if you did work on my vehicl,and you said to me i needed an extra part but since i didn't qoute it in the price i'm not gonna charge you,just due to the fact that you did that fo rme,i would pay for it anyways,just outta pure appreciation for you not trying to rip me off.But to not be able to give a customer a qoute before actually starting is kinda fishy.It leaves too much open air there for me..
"ole blake"
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 8:11 AM / IP Logged  
I can tell you first hand what happens to those knid of shops they go out of business because bad experiences travel fast. I had a shop locally blow my remote start quotes out of the water. when all was said and done customers would get billed sometimes 2 times as much as they were quoted!!! That shopped folded up for its actions, I can't say I'll miss them as they make every shop look bad. I won't say I am perfect with quotes but if I quote something wrong I eat it. Not the customers fault, my bad, I would rather send out a customer that is happy and have them come back to buy more stuff and have it installed. 
mrcllusb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 8:26 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks xtremej for running a legitimate business.I don't mind spreading the names of good shops that i've dealt with to help push customers there way.I'm sorry none of you guys have a shop close to where i am.I wouldn't mind driving an hour if i know it's gonna be done right..
"ole blake"
dualsport 
Silver - Posts: 983
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 1:18 PM / IP Logged  
Word of mouth and references from prior customers is probably the best way to select a shop, as difficult as that might be, if you don't know anyone that dealt with them before.
A higher price quoted doesn't guarantee you won't get a strip-wrap-tape and run quickie job, but hopefully it tends to decrease the chance of getting one, if you have no other references to go by. I'd much rather deal with a shop that may charge more, but doesn't take shortcuts that might result in failures down the road; factor in the aggravation aspect and the cut rate might not turn out to be so appealing any more. No doubt there are variations in pricing, and there are some that may charge less for the same workmanship, but bumping the budget a bit gives you a better chance of success.
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: April 17, 2006 at 7:51 PM / IP Logged  
Oh and for anyone who doesnt know me, I work at Future Shop which for my american friends is a big box chain like Best Buy or Ciruit City, so see, were not all bad :)
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
mrcllusb 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2006 at 6:09 AM / IP Logged  
Hey anyone of you guys close to Fort Drum NY?
"ole blake"
Page of 3

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic