< Prev Topic Next Topic >
pmendoza408 
Copper - Posts: 56
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 11, 2006 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
thats just lazy and someone was just trying to make some quick money
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 31, 2006 at 9:06 PM / IP Logged  

Well, after this customer compared his vehicle (that someone else did) to his brothers vehicle (that we did), he went to all 4 shops in Victoria, BC. Two large big box stores and two indipendents. All stores told him the same thing. They always drill the door jamb because of liability issues regarding warranty on the molex. If the windows stop working or the door locks stop working, then there is no more warranty. Then they told him that because the hard plastic in the molex has been drilled out that the wire will be cut by it. So, I call a big smelly pile of lazy BS to this. If the wire right now is free and coming through a hard plastic grommet as shown in the pic, how on earth can it shaff on a secured molex with a smaller smooth bored hole? The only way for a lock or window to fail is if they had nicked a wire when they were drilling the molex, that is installer error and nothing else. So I am of the opinion here that the installers in all 4 of these stores are just plain lazy and unwilling to do the job properly for the paying customer. No wonder some shops get such a bad name. Unflipping beleivable the things that my friend was told. Needless to say, I am going to make a how to on the proper way to do a molex.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
mjmadskillz 
Member - Posts: 14
Member spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 1:32 PM / IP Logged  
Wow
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 2:41 PM / IP Logged  
I didnt get any ics because I wanted to fix it right away. My buddy got his 4ga wire kit installed by best buy in his focus ZX5. The battery is on the drivers side of the engine bay. Instead of running the wire behind the fuse box right next to the battery and through thte firewall, The installer ran it up over the engine to the passengerside and through the firewall there. The problem was that he let it drape across the manifold and it melted the plastic and started welding the wire to the manifold. Hes lucky the damn thing didnt catch on fire.
"People with mullets live 40% longer"   - Ricky Bobby
gregory863 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  
i could care less what these melon-heads do to thier cars. what i hate is when a "do it yourselfer" comes with a real customer to give me all of his wisdom and tell his friend wether or not i'm ripping him off.  59 dollars for a 4ga amp kit??? yo man i can get that at wal-mart for 19.95!
I can eat fifty eggs
duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 24, 2006 at 3:05 PM / IP Logged  

i had a customer bring in an early 90s corrolla because she was seeing sparks in her dash.  i went out too look at her car and smoke was pouring out of it.  i ran into the shop, grabbed a 10mm socket and disconnected the battery.   looked behind the dash and its all a bunch of black burned up wires.

the previous owner of her car had a stereo installed in it, removed the stereo, then sold the car to her.   instead of using the factory harness, he ran speaker wire to the fuse box and tapped into the wrong side of the fuse.  ive seen crap like that before, but this was the first time i had a car on fire at my shop.  scary

Melted Fabric 
Silver - Posts: 509
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 27, 2006 at 2:17 PM / IP Logged  

I have ran into a similar case.  Friend got a used Civic.  I inspected the hollow space where the would be factory radio would go.  It was just a mass of wires with naked ends all touching each other.  I was going to work with it, but when I went to trace the wires to their door location.  Somewhere along the route of that speaker, guess the cable was too short, they had changed the color and type of wire.

I said screw it, and extracted all old cable and ran new cable everywhere.

I wish I would have upgraded the Big Three, but did not know about it at the time.

I have not failed. I've just found 10,000 ways that won't work.
When you do not know what you are doing and what you are doing is the best -- that is inspiration.
medved 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: June 30, 2006 at 5:22 AM / IP Logged  
oughcht... it's scary... brrr...
Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2006 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
i've seen so many bad installs in my area of Dallas, TX.  we have these "flea markets" here that sell cheap car audio products like boss and legacy and tell the customer that they are good amps and speakers, etc.  then they get some guy in the parking lot to "install" the stuff.  i've pretty much seen it all with these guys.  they use cheap walmart home audio RCA cables (thekind with no shielding), run RCA and power cables on the same side of the car right next to each other, no solder or connectors or anything (classic twist and tape...and BTW, i don't condone connectors except ring terminals and spade terminals), undersized power/ground wire, improper ground, and about everything else wrong you can possibly do.  i saw a ground one guy made by putting a wood screw right through the side of a piece of wire without even stripping it...they just screwed through the insulation and through trunk carpet to the body.  what's worse is the customer didn't want to pay to have it fixed...if i couldnt do it free, it would just have to work.  I've seen people try to integrate into factory amps by hooking up the outouts of the HU to random wires in the harness until they got noise from the speakers.
Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: August 15, 2006 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
one time i had this 19 YO girl come in wanting to get her amp looked at because it didnt sound right.  when i looked, i almost broke out into laughter when i say the amp install.  it turned out she tried to do the amp install herself (and she was not a very bright  crayon i later learned) she had 16g wire run to the battery ground for ground, the batt power wire run to the remote turn-on outpout of the HU also in 16g, and had the remote of the amp hooked to the memory wire of the HU with 14g.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic