the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

Customers and the funny things they say

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2007 at 1:24 AM / IP Logged  

i just love it when a customer comes in and and says:

"is there free installation?"...on everything

"well i can get that at so and so's for this less than half that much"...i reply with "you better head over there then i guess"

"i can install it myself.......what wires go where?"

"you mean i have to pay tax on that?!"

"If a man made it, another can modify it...it just takes some thinking."
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."
Installer_mss 
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 23, 2007 at 1:26 AM / IP Logged  

customer calls 10 minutes before we close...

them: "what time do you close?"

me: "7 o'clock"

them: "do you have time to install an alarm real quick?"

"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."
Installer_mss 
Posted: June 23, 2007 at 1:28 AM / IP Logged  

customer comes in 20 minutes or so before we close...

them: when do you close?

us: in about 20 minutes

them: do you have time to do this [six hour] job?

(sure...i don't have a home to go to after work...let me stay here and work on your car until tomorrow)

bigfoot286 
Copper - Posts: 53
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 11, 2007 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
Had a lady come into get an Interlock installed in her saab.(the things that wont let ya start if ya drink) well we turned her down because her cover that holds the sparkplugs in was lose and the car would just cut off if you touched it. well we get her to leave and about 30 minutes later i get a call"you STOLE the bolts to my raido"
ME-"mam we didi not touch the raido"
HER-"NO you you took ou the bolts to my raido and i want them back"
ME- "ok come back and ill check it out"
SO i start thinking and cant figure out what she means, i never took anything apart in that car just opend the hood, well she gets here and i walk out to look at the car, Her Sabb uses Ford keys to remove the raido. She points at the hole"There, there was bolts in there before and you stole them"
ME- "No mam thoes are holes for a speical tool to romove thae raido
HER-"no you took them" so i go and get my ford keys walk out side and slide the raido out and tell her "NO thoes are for the tool that pulls out the raido"
mando2155 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 12, 2007 at 11:49 PM / IP Logged  

Customer came in and wants to buy a sub.  I ask what kind of amp he is using or if he need to get an amp as well.  He tells me it s 300 watts, so i ask is it mono or a 2ch or what?  He tells me it s the 300 watt bose amp that came in his new mazda.  At that point  I try to explain to him why he s going to want an aftermarket amp and that his factory amp is not designed to run a 12" kicker sub.  Thats when he tells me I dont know what Im talking about , his amp will put 300 watts to the sub and his bose is better than any amp we carry,  because the guy at the dealership told him so.

Every once in a while i get the guy that bridged his mono amp to get more power, and his buddy that has a 50x4 head unit with a 400 watt durabrand 4 ch amp thats a total of 600 watts to his highs.

Then there was the guy who wanted to know how much it would be to have his wires buried.  I cant speak for anyone else but I dont keep a shovel in my tool box, however if the customer wants to provide one and pay me $60 an hour I guess I can dig a hole in the ground large enough for an amp kit. 

rogue212005 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2007 at 9:25 PM / IP Logged  

This might have already been asked does it have to be about car Stereo, I work for Radioshack and the stories I could tell you about cellphones!

mando2155 
Copper - Posts: 74
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 18, 2007 at 11:51 PM / IP Logged  
I dont know about the rules but a laugh is a laugh.   And i enjoy a good laugh from wherever.
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: July 19, 2007 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
I just enjoy looking at the customer sideways when they say stupid things.
Customer: This new radio you installed unlocks my doors
Me: The radio is not hooked up to the door lock system in your car mam.
Customer: Well I accidentally opened my door while I was driving and almost fell out.
*Gives customer side ways, you're freak'in crazy look*
Me: You accidentally opened your door? BLAHAHA!!! We'll... check it out for you man...
Another one...
Kid: I hooked up the amp I bought and it doesn't work there is no sound comming from it.
He openes up his trunk to show me his install.
Me: Where is your sub?
Kid: It's inside the amp.
Me: What?
Kid: You didn't know that?
*Gives customer side ways you're crazy look* lol
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
s_p_n_k_r_07 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2007 at 2:15 AM / IP Logged  

I'm not too sure how funny it was, now I giggle a bit but then I was a tad angry.

I work at Best Buy and we had a trend for a week or so of people coming in with air soft guns and my (now fired) trainee thought it was great to shoot me with them while I was at the counter talking to customers, wiring harnesses, installing anything...you get the point.

I was working on a mercury/ford something or other for an alarm, I'm facing the kick and I hear a metalic click and a thud. I slowly turn around to see the louder and more painful end of a Glock and my idiot trainee that had accidently hit the clip release lever dropping the clip onto the seat.  He had this dumbfounded look on his face and stated that he didn't know it was real.  That woulda been a pretty messy oops.

On a funnier note... I did a remote start on a CRV, while connecting the brake wire I broke the brake switch where the treads meet the body of the switch.  For mobility purposes I super and hot glued it so we could shuffle cars around.  I called the customer and let them know that even though I was off the following day I would get the part early morning and have it installed by the time we opened the next day.  After a wild goose chase I tracked down the switch ($7.49) and got to Best Buy almost as we were opening.  I did the swap real quick and started to leave when the customer insisted that I show her what I broke and that everything was fine.  I did and she then insisted that I give her the broken switch back. 

Me: But I bought a new one for you this is my reminder of what not to do. *fake haha*

Her: I bought that switch with my car and I want it back.

Me: I bought the switch IN your car and I want that one back.

My Boss: If you don't shut up I'll clock you in to fire you.

Me: Have a wonderful day, and thank you for shopping at Best Buy. :-)  *throw switch into car*

s_p_n_k_r_07 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: July 21, 2007 at 2:29 AM / IP Logged  

I have a funny one but Its me that was stupid.

At Best Buy my senior and myself did fiber glass kick panels in a 1987 BMW 5?   The customer brought us a 5or 6 ch McIntosh amp so we knew we had to go all out.  We had just picked up Alpine so we did a Type-R 10 and Type-R 6.5 componants, along with the Type-R 6*9s,  we cut the holes for the 6*9s and carpeted over the grills with black carpet.  We did a beauty board over the amp, and of course the Kicks which were really cool, except the fact that I never checked the clearance of the glove box door opening.  He he.  for those of you that are un-familar... this is the one where the entire passenger side dash drops to reveal the multi shelved, and pocketed glove compartment.  Yeah, never looked into that when I was making my cardboard moch ups. Which I might have caught somewhere during construction but we had to do almost everything at my seniors home after hours due to policy and no chemicals or table saws bla bla bla. so we basicly had to do an install without the car preasent for 50% of it.   I did however run the iPod cable into the glove.  When the customer came to pick it up I went to show him the cable and only then did I realize that it didn't open.  at all.  I remebered clearly pressing the kick up before securing it.  He could have been a better sport about it but I was more angry at myself that he could have ever been.   we never did see him again.

Page of 15

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic