the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

3 ohm subwoofer and a dual 2 ohm?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
killer sonata wrote:
DYohn wrote:

killer sonata wrote:
Personally i would say stick with the 10". I prefer them to a 15" anyday. Ofcourse I look for sound quality and not sound pressure level. Typically, the smaller the sub, the more accurate it is going to be. Unless you fork out some big bucks for a top end 15", its going to sound sloppy. Kicker is a great example of sloppy sounding bass.

This is a myth and is completely incorrect.  There is nothing inherently more "sloppy" or "tight" that is created by cone size.  It's all in the enclosure.

With most manufactures they use the same motor for the 10" 12" and 15" on a woofer of the same series. That being said, the 10" will be more accurate than the 15" because there isnt as much surface area for error. In other words, the motor will push the 15" more unevenly than the 10". Or atleast this is what I have been told time and time again by numerous credible people.

It is simply wrong.  Whoever told you this is spreading bad information.  I refer you to THIS white paper, as one source.  There are many others.

Support the12volt.com
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 1:56 PM / IP Logged  
killer sonata wrote:

jeffchilcott wrote:
killer sonata wrote:
Kicker is a great example of sloppy sounding bass.
This is the perfect example of an amature box builder.
Tight, Low, Clean Bass is all we are getting from our kickers!

I just prefer quality products like JL and MTX for my subs thats all. Im guessing you think infinity is high quality door speakers too huh?

Killer, I am guessing you have not done your research before you call someone out.    I am quite sure I have more money wrapped into amps just to sit around then you could ever image having in your car.
But then again I just build world champion caliber vehicles, so what do I know HUH?     
Word of advice, when you see someone in this fourm with 4 of 5 stars next to thier name, dont bother calling them out.
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 2:50 PM / IP Logged  
Dyohn, the "white papers" you poiinted him to, where can I find more things like that?
Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
concept 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 3:23 PM / IP Logged  
ok DYhon by the amount of  stars and your information you seem like you know your stuff..so im going to take your advice
concept
killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 03, 2006 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
I thought i made it clear that the info I was relaying to you guys is just what I have always been told. Im not trying to pick fights or anything. Plus no offense, but I find it hard to believe that the "guys with the stars" next to their names are NEVER wrong. Everyone is wrong sometimes. If you want to critisize me please do it as constructive critisism. I dont take kindly to getting bashed. Anywho... Thanks for that white paper! That is some great info! I will be sure to spread the word to those who have told me otherwise.
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 7:32 AM / IP Logged  
Sorry for going off sonata,   trying to turn around this whole Kicker L7's are dirty thing.   Thats why I have been posting boxes I have came up with for public use, hoping to get quite a few people to use them for real potential.
We do make our mistake from time to time, but normally the gang of gold and blue starts will mock the other senior members for life if we mess up   haha
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  

Hey no problem Jeff. Im sure you have made some pretty impressive boxes for kickers. Do you have links to pictures for them anywhere? From my personal experiences I have yet to hear a kicker I licked. Especially the square ones. I know you made a comment earlier about my amps and what not. Im not trying to revive a dead arguement. I just want to let you know what I have in my car so you can see Im not totally a noob to car audio. Ive got a MTX 1501D mono, a MTX 564 4ch, 2 x MTX 202 2ch, 2 redtop optima batteries, street wires 1/0ga, 2 x MTX 8500 12" subs, 1 MTX rt10 10" sub, 2 x  JL6W0 6" subs, focal access series 2 way component, and a set of focal polyglass 3 way components.

Ill be sure to keep my eyes open for the mistakes the ppl with stars make. That will be fun. lol

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 6:05 PM / IP Logged  
Jeff so you post up the boxes you have designed? Cuz I am thinking about getting only 1 12 inch L7 and if you could give me some box recommendations to get the best outta this sub that would be great.
concept 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
okay sorry guys now im looking at getting 2 memphis PR15......what kinda box do you suggest?
concept
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2006 at 8:05 PM / IP Logged  
Any subwoofer you buy will generally come with a spec sheet. It will give you the recommended box dimensions for both ported and sealed boxes. These are what the company who made the sub tested and came up with. Those are always good to use unless you want something more custom. If that is the case, make your custom box but use the recommended box volume as a guide. 
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic