icon

Besy Buy Installers, What do you make?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
dominocrx 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 12:27 PM / IP Logged  
well not meaning to jump back onto subject, but im a newb and seriously thinking of car audio/installation as a new career. im trying to see where i can expect to be and what i can make doing and learning as much as i can in 5 or so years. and what is the pay like at a high end shop?
gregory863 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 10, 2006 at 1:58 PM / IP Logged  
domino best buy is very good at teaching young installers. they also have a lot of rules and regulations. for a lot of young guys this is good, it teaches disipline.  if you want to get into install it's a good start. you won't be doing a lot of high end but it is good experience. collage and a differant career might be better for you if you can hack it. my son is in college and i tell him don't be like me. if you like to work with your hands or are doing burger king or some job like that best buy is a huge step up. also most managers like murphy says are good guys but some get off on telling people what to do and love firing people. but i guess that's everywhere. if you go to best buy be on your toes for the first few months. do what you're told without ever arguing. never give a manager a hard time about anything. do your best. be on time. shut up and listen. you'll do fine.
I can eat fifty eggs
meltingplastic 
Copper - Posts: 225
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 13, 2006 at 7:37 PM / IP Logged  
I left the company making 12.50hr. The problem with best buy is politics.. I can make more money on my own or with a bigger shop. I hated the management at the store. Like mentioned before, i was just a shirt with a name on it. No manager knew what i was doing. if there was no one on the sales floor, i was forced to shut down the bay or leave the other isntalled by himself even if we were swamped(2R/S deck and 4 u know the drill) But if i had to call in sick, i got doodie cause no one could cover the install bay for me. I worked off the clock way too many hours for that company and almost punched out the sales manager after finishing up a corvette and the guys amp wasnt powerful enough for the sub. After being verbally abused by both the customer and the salesmanager in FRONT of the customer, i took off my shirt, told them im off the clock and have been so, im going home.. locked up my box and walked out..   unfortunately i will never work for a company like best buy again because of all their politics and their bs. Its a shame, but installs should not be a part of retail
Driving a Bagged, Caddied 02 s10
bazzgazm 
Copper - Posts: 113
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 14, 2006 at 9:26 AM / IP Logged  
Ron gold And danny glover? Man, this is my morning view of the tech tips all over again.
Maybe someone will post something like "combos neato chewy wow" again.
if anyone remembers that post.. feel free to bring it back to life...
that one kept me laughing for a good 6 months.
and on the pay subject. i made a little more at circuit city, but i do hate that place with a vengence.
people leave my shop all the time talking about how good they are, then i drive by the shop and see their car out there for 3 days straight=P... do that math..... and i'm always cheaper..
if i could hire people who didn't get on here and complain.. and i'm not going to call them out coughspookiecough.. then maybe we could get some work done, get some bonus hours in the bay and start making money again!
anyways.
no ones EVER going to be completely happy. be it pay or the company. and the mom and pop stores here in virginia open and close here so fast most of those guys end up back at your circuits and best buys.
All in all. everything is what you make of it
if you wakeup every morning saying how doodiety your job is.. guess what... your day's going to be doodiety
Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2006 at 11:43 AM / IP Logged  
So any employees hear the news about the discount.
5150azn 
Silver - Posts: 584
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2006 at 2:58 PM / IP Logged  
bazzgazm wrote:
Ron gold And danny glover? Man, this is my morning view of the tech tips all over again.
Maybe someone will post something like "combos neato chewy wow" again.
if anyone remembers that post.. feel free to bring it back to life...
that one kept me laughing for a good 6 months.
and on the pay subject. i made a little more at circuit city, but i do hate that place with a vengence.
people leave my shop all the time talking about how good they are, then i drive by the shop and see their car out there for 3 days straight=P... do that math..... and i'm always cheaper..
if i could hire people who didn't get on here and complain.. and i'm not going to call them out coughspookiecough.. then maybe we could get some work done, get some bonus hours in the bay and start making money again!
anyways.
no ones EVER going to be completely happy. be it pay or the company. and the mom and pop stores here in virginia open and close here so fast most of those guys end up back at your circuits and best buys.
All in all. everything is what you make of it
if you wakeup every morning saying how doodiety your job is.. guess what... your day's going to be doodiety
I blame managers, leads, sups, what ever you call them. If you treat your guys like crap then it makes everyone bitter. I never worked at BB but I've worked at 2 CC's first shop was a great place to work. We were always in the top 5 in the company. Everyone got along and we hit our numbers. The other CC, was never top anything until I worked there and started taking everyone out for drinks after work.
But the bottom line is that those old guys they called "Regional Managers" suck! Suits don't belong in the 12v industry! They are the scum of the earth. No matter how many times you hit your numbers or how much money you put in your pockets they are never happy. What I would give to get my hands on a CC Regional manager now that I don't work for them anymore.
(sorry, turned into a little steam vent there at the end)
Tell the Snap-On guy I'm not here!
Fastlearner 
Silver - Posts: 346
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2006 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
bye-bye august 1st
mobilecustoms 
Silver - Posts: 397
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2006 at 3:59 PM / IP Logged  
what type of discount do you get at best buy
gregory863 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2006 at 5:42 PM / IP Logged  
dang murph that sounds like a defeatist statement! what was that reply that you always get when you suggested something not  the best buy way??
I can eat fifty eggs
gregory863 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 15, 2006 at 6:08 PM / IP Logged  
i was a install manager. what was that saying? sounded something like self fufilling prophesy. like if you told your manager that cancleing the employee purchas program would cause you to lose installers he'd reply- _______  ____ ____!!!  come on murph! it's starting to bother me that i can't remember that! plus i got a whiney installer i want to use it on.
I can eat fifty eggs
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic