Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 2:31 AM / IP Logged  
thank you! Big Dog.
tazz
gixxerrob06 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 11:53 AM / IP Logged  
any one know if this unit uses the same plugs as the 791 cause im thinkin about switching over to it from my 791
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: August 30, 2006 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
Same connectors plus one extra for aux channels. Same antenna cable but different antenna.
Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
Mike411001 
Member - Posts: 7
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2006 at 4:34 PM / IP Logged  
got mine installed. not getting good range. where did you all put your antenna and my blue led no longer blinks at all when armed. what could be the cause of that?
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 05, 2006 at 5:33 PM / IP Logged  

who installed it???                           antenna should be high in the middle off the front windshield..... is it poor line of sight range or poor inside a building range?

mine workd from about 8-9 blocks line of sight, but i can't start my vehicle from inside the pub a block away.....

no idea about the LED unless you pulled out the plug or a wire..... does it still show it arming or disarming on the remote?

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Mike411001 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2006 at 8:57 PM / IP Logged  
still shows the arming and disarm on the remote. A friend who installs alarms regularly installed it for me. Right now the antenna is by the headboard on the drivers side almost touching the headboard on the blue tint. so the blue tint on the top of the windshield makes a difference?
mobilecustoms 
Silver - Posts: 397
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2006 at 9:55 PM / IP Logged  
is the led burned out? try a new one
the antenna in thye blue windshield band can reduce range but not make it not work at all. i put the antenna if it is the small hx nest to thw rear view mirror wedge is possible or if it is the xhf antennas, in the bottom left of the windshield with the pole of the antenna aiming upwards. the responder antennas i put sometimes sideways on the side of the windsheild
make sure to STRETCH OUT the antenna cable also. this will make a BIG difference in range.
Big Dog 
Gold - Posts: 1,265
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 8:16 AM / IP Logged  

Broken solder at the LED can cause it to stop functioning (never happened yet but who knows....maybe it was tugged). Replace the LED with a known good one and you'll see what's up. It might also be unplugged from the brain.

Antenna placement isn't critical on the 5900 because it's SST. Don't go undoing everything to move it 10 mm. Mine is sitting on the dash hidden by the wipers and I still get great range.

Prepare your future. It wasn't the lack of stones that killed the stone age.
Mike411001 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 11, 2006 at 11:46 AM / IP Logged  
The LED solder did come loose which is what caused my problem.  And I followed the advie of leaving the antenna wiring loose and untangeled inside the dash and also I moved my antenna right under the rearview mirror mount and get MUCH better range.  Couldn't be more happy with my alarm now, thank you for your help.
kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 11, 2006 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

just another "quirk" about these units... my remote battery indicator dropped to DND "Damn Near Dead" after about 3 weeks...but has stayed there ever since..... it's about 6-7 weeks now and i'm still using the same battery....

it's just like the gas gauge on my old '75 Nova.......

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic