icon

Square Speakers, Why?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
geezeride 
Member - Posts: 12
Member spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2006 at 6:06 PM / IP Logged  
Has sound production changed in recent years to the point that a square speaker can create a smooth soundwave? Everything I've read and graphs I've seen, have always showed round speakers to reproduce the most accurate waveforms. Even oval 4x6 or 6x9 speakers are flawed, but "square"??? (One example; I've heard from people that "Kicker" brand is good. Now I have serious doubts!)
Me thinks "marketing" is spinning and dazzling those blinded by chrome and appearance, with no facts of the truth...or have I missed something? If volume for the sake of loud noise is most important, then I guess quality sound would not matter huh?
I'll believe it when I can throw a rock in the water, and see square ripples waving out! Square Speakers, Why? -- posted image.
austincustoms 
Copper - Posts: 232
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2006 at 6:07 PM / IP Logged  
I'm with you on this one.  Even without all the technical background, oval speakers just sound bad.
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 04, 2006 at 6:35 PM / IP Logged  
geezeride wrote:
I'll believe it when I can throw a rock in the water, and see square ripples waving out! Square Speakers, Why? -- posted image.
Well, to be fair, the radiation pattern (the ripples) has nothing to do with whether a transductor can create a smooth wave form.
The "smoothness" of the wave has more to do with the linearity of the motor with the attached cone.
Problems develop when the cone is oddly shaped some odd pressure points around the cone and the surround. This affects the ability of the speaker to -maintain- its linearity (and for the cone to retain its rigidity) when the volume level is increased.
At the core, I agree with you. The potential increase in sensitivity and max SPL because of the enlarged woofer area does not seem like it would be worth the materials and design challenges.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 05, 2006 at 4:13 PM / IP Logged  
What about Kickers heart shaped sub???
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2006 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
A square transducer can and does produce excellent sound quality.  Look at high-end ribbon tweeters.  The Kicker square subs (or the Bazooka triangular ones, or the Sony pentagonal ones, etc.) are simply built like that for marketing reasons.
Support the12volt.com
supradude 
Silver - Posts: 915
Silver spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2006 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
Kicker's promo on the square sub is the 12" square one has more cone area than the 12" round sub, therefore it "moves more air".
'85 Toy
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2006 at 10:06 PM / IP Logged  

supradude wrote:
Kicker's promo on the square sub is the 12" square one has more cone area than the 12" round sub, therefore it "moves more air".

Which may indeed be true.  That doesn't mean it sounds like anything other than luke-warm ass, though.  Square Speakers, Why? -- posted image.

Support the12volt.com
kfr01 
Gold - Posts: 2,121
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2006 at 11:30 PM / IP Logged  
supradude wrote:
Who cares? Their sensitivity isn't that impressive.
2 woofers. One square that "moves more air" and one that's more efficient, it'll always take more watts to make the square woofer produce the same number of decibels.
Frankly, I dislike kicker for feeding the "displacement is king" obsession of car audio.
New Project: 2003 Pathfinder
geezeride 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

supradude wrote:

Which may indeed be true.  That doesn't mean it sounds like anything other than luke-warm ass, though.  Square Speakers, Why? -- posted image.

LOL...Perfect!
Likewise, banging on a garage door or empty oil drum can get loud too. I wouldn't include those to reproduce quality sound...
Those that just want LOUD, could easily damage their hearing for much less cost & hassle - just use good full-cup headphones. (but of course that all-important "kewl factor" would be gone) Square Speakers, Why? -- posted image.
It's all about marketing to the gullible kids with money.
Sorry kids, that's the reality. The only escape is learn the facts, cuz (yawn), knowledge is power! hehe, yea, I AM yer Dad! -Square as a Kicker!!!
geezeride 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2006 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
A square transducer can and does produce excellent sound quality.  Look at high-end ribbon tweeters.  The Kicker square subs (or the Bazooka triangular ones, or the Sony pentagonal ones, etc.) are simply built like that for marketing reasons.
Ribbon tweeters (any tweeters), are a completely different animal from the bass! Crispy, sharp, bright...nothing I would want from the sub end...
I have no prob admitting "round speakers are boring." But they DO produce the smoothest low-end waveforms, which is what we're all after- accurate reproduction of the original sound source.
I haven't disected them, but my guess is that all those "rad-kewl" shaped speakers have round magnets and voice coils. the cones & surrounds are just sales fluff to pitch "NEW!-NEW!-NEW!" to impulsive buyers.
Hey, I'm a geezer, I 'could' be wrong! Maybe I read too many things on audio reproduction over the years. I am NOT a guru at all! Just kinda well rounded in many facets of life so far- Square Speakers, Why? -- posted image.
I certainly am a noob with setting up my own car audio system! That's why I'm here, to learn, and hopefully to share what I DO know! (and true, I have 4x6 and 6x9 speakers in the car...can't afford to mod to rounds!) Though I did add 6" rounds to the rear doors.
Thanks to all of you for being here, I DO appreciate it!
-Picts of my project results will be posted when I get there...
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic