icon

building boxes

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
koolauto 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 12:00 AM / IP Logged  
my question ive heard that some calkings used to seal boxes are bad for the sub woffers?is this true what is good to use  thanks  mike
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 1:04 AM / IP Logged  

I guess if any material that can have small abrasive particles break off and enter into the voice coil could damage it. I have not experienced this yet but I always seal boxes the same way.

I use clear silicone on all edges.

Unless fiberglassing, to make the box strong I use wood glue and screws. If the box is properly built once that glue is dried the box should be virtually impossible to take apart in whole pieces, even if the screws were removed. This is not to say the box will be indestructible because too much internal pressure as well as liquids will destroy MDF. Use the right thickness, keep it dry, brace if nessecary, silicone all edges and terminals if utilized/or the wire holes and all should be well. I also find predrilling and countersinking will help prevent crushing the MDF. For very high powered and competition boxes I use HDF up to 1'' and double up where the subs mount.

killer sonata 
Silver - Posts: 718
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 1:12 AM / IP Logged  
I prefer to use liquid nails in place of glue. its a deck adhesive.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 1:27 AM / IP Logged  

Agreed, liquid nails is very strong. But IMO overkill for most boxes. I do use it to support heavy objects that I can't fasten any other way.

The things I dislike about liquid nails is:

1) much stronger odor then silicone   2)get it on your clothes, they are FUBAR'ed  3) get it on your skin and you have to live with it until whenever it decides to come off....or heavy scrubbing. 4) not a major concern but still a concern...very flammable.

But this is not to say it is bad to use liquid nails to seal a box. I can't imagine liquid nails leaking or damaging a woofer but I can't guarantee that from personal experience since I have't used it for that purpose too many times.

killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 1:32 AM / IP Logged  

It might be overkill in your opinion in strength, but when you compare the prices of liquid nails to regular wood glue, I believe the liquid nails is the better option. it is much stronger than regular glue and the price is better. as for getting it on your clothes... isnt it common sense to wear junk clothes while working on custom fabrications? lol. I always wear latex gloves while applying glue so getting it on my hands isnt a concern. liquid nails is flammable, but so is MDF.

I use liquid nails on all my wood boxes and it doesnt get much better.

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 1:48 AM / IP Logged  

I can't really disagree killer and I have nothing against overkill in most cases. But I have yet to see a box I built come apart from using wood glue.

However, in my work situation I can be called upon to build a box anytime and don't always have a change of cloths with me. But that's neither here nor there, I just have my own preference.

I will admit to using liquid nails on very large enclosure because I am aware of it's strength. But this topic was more about sealing then construction, I just brought it up as a point that proper construction is as critical as sealing, if not moreso.

Regardless, have you ever heard of any sealing products that can damage a sub?

mustangfoo 
Silver - Posts: 371
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 2:01 AM / IP Logged  
It's the fumes from products like liquid nails that will eat away the rubber surround on a sub. This is why it is a good idea that after building and sealing a box, especially with a strong fumed product like liquid nails (which I also happen to use on my boxes) it is a good idea to let the box air out for atleast 2 days so that the fumes can die down. Not sure if it is fact or fiction, but more so this is what I hear from others, so as a precaution to ruining my $650 subwoofer, I would rather be subless for a week rather than come back in a few days to hear no bass and see my rubber surrounds are gone lol. I should get a sub and test this out though, but that is what everyone states.
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 2:10 AM / IP Logged  

Interesting info mustang. I wish I had 2 days to build an enclosure but for me it's closer to 2 hours in most cases.

Try to see if there is anyway to back up that statement about the fumes damaging the surround. I have heard "rumors" to that affect but since I use woodglue 90% of the time I have no personal input on the subject. Woodglue smells good and washes off with water and has yet to see it damage anything.

However, for more extreme or personal applications (where I also have more time) liquid nails serves its purpose well.

killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 2:11 AM / IP Logged  
mustang, great advice. Ive never really heard any problems with the fumes, but rather trunk fires and explosions with sealed boxes. airing out is a great thing to do. I know you get antsy and want to hear your new setup, but its not worth it when the glue combusts. Once its dry, you are good to go.
killer sonata 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 01, 2006 at 2:13 AM / IP Logged  
mustang, great advice. Ive never really heard any problems with the fumes, but rather trunk fires and explosions with sealed boxes. airing out is a great thing to do. I know you get antsy and want to hear your new setup, but its not worth it when the glue combusts. Once its dry, you are good to go.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic