2005 F150 remote start/alarm, any tips?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
buening 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
master5 wrote:
Too many install the switch on a bad angle which breaks it in time..the wrong height so it's unreliable..or in a water trail causing a false alarm when wet...and not working when you need it to due to rust at the contacts. Thats what the pinswitch bracket is for but I believe most installers don't use them and this is why they have a bad rap. Of course if the vehicle uses a factory hood/trunk switch this is always the best way to go.
Does anyone have any pics of a "properly" installed hood pin switch on the newer F150 trucks??? That would be of the greatest help right now. Heh, i'm more worried about getting the proper location of the hood pin switch than the actual wiring LOL.
Also, how can one tell if the truck has a factory hood switch. Sorry for such beginner questions, this truck is still pretty new and haven't messed with it much.
2005 Ford F150 FX4 Supercab
2003 Mustang
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1970 Mustang Fastback
buening 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 2:42 PM / IP Logged  
master5 wrote:
Too many install the switch on a bad angle which breaks it in time..the wrong height so it's unreliable..or in a water trail causing a false alarm when wet...and not working when you need it to due to rust at the contacts. Thats what the pinswitch bracket is for but I believe most installers don't use them and this is why they have a bad rap. Of course if the vehicle uses a factory hood/trunk switch this is always the best way to go.
Does anyone have any pics of a "properly" installed hood pin switch on the newer F150 trucks??? That would be of the greatest help right now. Heh, i'm more worried about getting the proper location of the hood pin switch than the actual wiring LOL.
Also, how can one tell if the truck has a factory hood switch. Sorry for such beginner questions, this truck is still pretty new and haven't messed with it much.
2003 Mustang
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1970 Mustang Fastback
buening 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 2:45 PM / IP Logged  
master5 wrote:
2003 Mustang
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1970 Mustang Fastback
buening 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
Holy cow, something jacked up that post 2005 F150 remote start/alarm, any tips? - Page 2 -- posted image. Anyone know how to delete multiple multiple posts? 2005 F150 remote start/alarm, any tips? - Page 2 -- posted image.
2003 Mustang
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1970 Mustang Fastback
master5 
Silver - Posts: 1,123
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 20, 2006 at 6:24 PM / IP Logged  

Someone will probably clean up the mutiple post in time so don't worry too much about it getting jacked.

Unfortunatly your truck does not have a factory hoodpin. And I don't think anyone is going to have a picture of a hoodpin install laying around..it's just not the type of thing most people would photograph. However if you need pics of sub's, speaker pods and neon lights I am sure plenty would post that. I will post a diagram however.

I will also give you some pointers to help as thats all I can really do for now. what you do is look at the small rubber hood bumpers located on each front corner. See where it hits the hood (there will be an indent as well as a mark from where it hits). This will give you an idea for the height and location(reference point). You want to use a bracket to mount it and bend it upwards in a "Z" shape to avoid water from getting on it. 2005 F150 remote start/alarm, any tips? - Page 2 -- posted image.

As you are setting the height simply look at where it hits as you close the hood..if this is difficult as you are almost closed put your ear to the hood and you will hear the hood contacting the pin. Now once you feel you have a spot where it won't bend the pin.. slam the hood, then open it and check that all is well. If so arm the alarm..wait about 10 seconds, and open the hood. It the alarm works open and close the hood a few times and check again. Now if the pin is not making contact the alarm will audibly notify you with extra chirps when arming.

If this is the case hold the pin down with your finger and arm again. If it arms normally this means the hood is not making contact and you must raise or relocate the pinswitch. You can put a dap of clay on the pin to mark where it hits the hood for reference if need be.

Once you feel the pin is working well put a dab of white grease on the pin shaft (I said shaft..lol) and the bottom where it makes contact with the ground of the vehicle. Check a few more times and you are set. Every once in a while check everything to make sure it works and if it needs any further adjustment or grease. It is really not hard to do this if you do just as I suggested, and once again take your time because the install is only as good as the weakest link and you don't want a faulty pinswitch installation to mess things up.

Good Luck.

buening 
Member spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 7:34 AM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the tips. I did manage to get a picture from someone on an f150 forum. Gonna attach pics (hopefully they reference ok) and let me know if this is good/bad install. It isn't exactly anywhere near the hood latch.
2005 F150 remote start/alarm, any tips? - Page 2 -- posted image.
2005 F150 remote start/alarm, any tips? - Page 2 -- posted image.
2003 Mustang
1970 Mustang Mach 1
1970 Mustang Fastback
master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 21, 2006 at 6:26 PM / IP Logged  

My only concern with that particular install is water can get to the pinswitch and eventually cause problems. You can already see the screws are rusting (can't be a good thing) and water marks on the bracket and pinswitch area. However note the use of split loom and zip ties ..that's the right way (professional)

You can use the same location but I would bend the bracket as I showed in the diagram and adjust the pinswich height accordingly. Now you don't need to bend it much at all...just enough so gravity won't allow water to contact the pin. I would also reccomend stainless screws because that rust will only spread over time..and I have seen it even cause the screws to disitigrate. Might not be a bad idea to apply grease to the screws as well as a rust preventative, or any kind of water resistant coating. Also note that the screw holes themselves will expose bare metal so take the steps to rustproof there as well for longevity.

Keep us posted how it turns out.

sarde1090 
Member - Posts: 1
Member spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 1:07 AM / IP Logged  

here is a h ood pin switch i found this guy at the www.fordf150.net 2005 F150 remote start/alarm, any tips? - Page 2 -- posted image.

you have to login to see the whole artical

master5 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 2:37 AM / IP Logged  

The link you posted just takes me to some kind of ford truck forum..which article do you want me to check out?

angelars 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 28, 2006 at 10:47 AM / IP Logged  
The pic that sarde1090 is a much better place for a pin than the first photo. I too am concerned about the water damage. The best way to determine where to put a pin is by using some clay. Put it in the area you want, close the hood, and open it slowly. Then you'll see what the pin sees. In your case most of the work has already been done because of the picture basically telling what area the pin goes in.
Page of 5

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic