icon

Is Bridging channels like series

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sin0cide 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  

ok there has been some confusion setup in my head from some post. if you lets say have a 2 ohm dvc sub and you series it gettting 4 and you bridge an amp would that be like series'esin :-/  the circuit again to 8ohms or would it drop it to 2 ohms or would it still be 4 ohms. Also if an amp shows a setup that is 2 ohms at a certain rms does it mean it can do 2 ohms stable? how would you know what it can do stable if it doesn't show? and how about if I have a amp that does 500 rms to a mono output and put 2 subs on it they would be getting 250rms each right? arg...

aznboi3644 
Gold - Posts: 2,600
Gold spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 1:41 AM / IP Logged  
Um...if you bridge an amp at 4 ohms its really seeing 2 ohms
If an amp is rated at 2 ohms and most likely it should be stable down to 2 ohms.
If the amp or manufacturer doesn't state what the amp is stable down to than it sucks balls and should be thrown at a mailbox while standing out of a sunroof in a friends toyota camry going 60 down a country road.
If the an amp puts out X amount of watts bridged and you wire two identical subs to it bridged the power is split equally between the woofers
sin0cide 
Copper - Posts: 49
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 1:44 AM / IP Logged  

that throwing idea sounds like fun :-)  I was asking it in a wierd way but what I ment is if it just said  XXXrms @ 4 ohms  and nothing about 2 ohms it wouldn't be stable?

and what if I had a sub that was 250 rms and one that was 350 rms what would happen?

aznboi3644 
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 1:56 AM / IP Logged  
Than the bass wouldn't really sound good because they would have different parameters.
Most 2 channel amps are not stable down to 1 ohm.
If they aren't rated down to 1 ohm than they aren't stable that low
jvillefinest 
Copper - Posts: 255
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 8:32 AM / IP Logged  

[QUOTE=aznboi3644]

If the amp or manufacturer doesn't state what the amp is stable down to than it sucks balls and should be thrown at a mailbox while standing out of a sunroof in a friends toyota camry going 60 down a country road. [QUOTE=aznboi3644]

hmmmmmmmm......? good knowledge to know.

2007 Acura TSX
SQ setup in the works
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 10:49 AM / IP Logged  

aznboi3644 wrote:

I have heard this before, and have yet to have someone explain the logic of it to me.  If the nominal impedance is truely 4 ohms, then there is no way the impedance will drop lower than that at the amplifier no matter how it's wired.  It will see the load presented to it.  Would you claim that of the dozen doughnuts sitting in front of you, that you can only see six with one eye closed?

Or are you talking about the load an amplifier can handle bridged compared to stereo?  If an amplifier can handle a 2 ohm load in stereo, it can only handle a 4 ohm load bridged.  But that doesn't effect the load it sees.

mike12volt 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 2:43 PM / IP Logged  
Guys, Bridging an amp has nothing to do with how you hook-up the subs. The reason for bridging an amp is to double the power, if it is bridgable. Some amps will adjust to resistance and some will produce more power due to lower resistance from subs. Also, It does matter how you hook-up subs, depending if the amp can handle it.
soultinter 
Copper - Posts: 170
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 2:51 PM / IP Logged  
generally bridging is only done for bass to get a mono signal and to get maximum power output at the rated impedance. You don't bridge a stereo anp to run a set of front speakers.
mike12volt 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 3:12 PM / IP Logged  
Any theory should be followed by facts!!!
I completely disagree with soultiner on bridgin stereo amp to power front speakers. I bridged mine, JL 300/4 to power comp Focals. Is there a problem with that?
aznboi3644 
Posted: November 25, 2006 at 3:27 PM / IP Logged  
Steven Kephart wrote:

aznboi3644 wrote:

I have heard this before, and have yet to have someone explain the logic of it to me. If the nominal impedance is truely 4 ohms, then there is no way the impedance will drop lower than that at the amplifier no matter how it's wired. It will see the load presented to it. Would you claim that of the dozen doughnuts sitting in front of you, that you can only see six with one eye closed?

Or are you talking about the load an amplifier can handle bridged compared to stereo? If an amplifier can handle a 2 ohm load in stereo, it can only handle a 4 ohm load bridged. But that doesn't effect the load it sees.

Stephen I really can't prove this...its just what a lot of others here and other forums say...I'm not sure
Also to mike12volt...bridging an amp doesn't really double the output power...an amp will put out the same power at 2 ohms stereo and at 4 ohms bridged...same goes for 2 ohms bridged and 1 ohm stereo.
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic