icon

99 F150 Alarm, Remote Start, Locks

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
brian_mcenulty 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: December 21, 2006 at 11:50 PM / IP Logged  
I'm attemping my first install of a remote starter/alarm on my 1999 F150 (5.4l) and I've run into a few issues. The remote starter I'm installing is the Audiovox Prestige APS996a. The first problem I've run into in finding the tachometer wire. There are several wiring charts that show the tachometer wire being pin 48 a WHITE/ pink wire on the PCM which is where I have the tach wire connected to now, however I have also read on here that it is a wire on the coils somewhere. The second thing that I'm confused about is feature of my remote starter to turn on the headlights when the system is disarmed. Can I just run the wire from the remote starter to the wire on the headlight switch that turns on the headlights or does a relay need to be used somehow for this feature to work? Thanks for the help!
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
Tach is at the AET test harness, pass side of the motor front, loom is marked and has grey tape on it. GREEN / WHITE or Pink/white
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 8:45 AM / IP Logged  
HEADLIGHTS RED / yellow At light switch harness   + 
 REVERSE LIGHTS BLACK/ red In driver's kickpanel   + 

You could also trigger the reverse lights....

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 8:46 AM / IP Logged  
Hey Hymer....you quoted the astrochart....like I do so often....99 F150 Alarm, Remote Start, Locks -- posted image.
Hymer 
Silver - Posts: 695
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 10:36 AM / IP Logged  
Ahhh, yes Astro Chart.. pretty decent database... what ones do you use btw....
Tire Proz Stillwater Mn
High End Restyling and Comlete Repair
brian_mcenulty 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 1:16 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for the help guys, I hooked up the tach wire and programmed the remote starter for the tach signal and it cranks over just fine, but won't start yet because I haven't installed the bypass unit yet. Should it start up though if there's a key in the ignition for it to get the PATS signal and when started from the remote though? Because I tried that and it didn't start it just cranked over. I still need to hook up the door locks, and take a look at the dome light and head light outputs. Are relays needed for either one of these or does the wire from the unit go directly to the dome light and headlight wires in the truck? And one last thing, I haven't installed the "Starter Inhibit" relay included with the unit yet, what is this and is it required for the installation? Thanks!
profuse007 
Gold - Posts: 2,015
Gold spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
for prestige (audiovox) units, you must confirm for learned tach signal. do it and again.
for door triggers, must isolate using 4 diodes for two doors. two inline w/ the car's wires and for the input wires. search for ford false trigger or GEM module.
the starter inhibiter is not required for alarm and RS to work. read your manual for further explanation, or soemone here will CHIME IN.
Houston,TX
"The two most common elements in the universe are H+ and stupidity" (Ellison).
john ogrady 
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 22, 2006 at 8:25 PM / IP Logged  
The tach can be taken off the negative side of any injector also.When I install remote starters I make sure it works properly without the bypass hooked up by leaving a key in the ignition tumbler and trying the remote start.If the vehicle starts and runs everything is good just the bypass has got to be hooked up.
brian_mcenulty 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2006 at 4:04 PM / IP Logged  
Hey I've gotten most of the remote start in and it works just fine but I'm at the point now of putting in the bypass. I bought the DEI 555f and it has 2 wires, a blue and a red. One is for 12v for it and the other is for the remote start. I don't know where to connect these wires to though, any thoughts?
brian_mcenulty 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 26, 2006 at 4:10 PM / IP Logged  
Also the remote start unit has 2 wires for a bypass, a red and black but i don't know how this connects to the 2 wires for the bypass itself
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic