icon

advice needed, any and all

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
beerstud136 
Copper - Posts: 100
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2003 at 9:17 PM / IP Logged  
alright so i've been thinking lately since i bought my laptop... i know there are mobile mp3 players, but ive already spent enough money on my deck that i dont want to take it out and replace it already, but it does have an aux input control, thats not my question, does anyone know of any type of computer program that would intergrate the controls from a mobile head unit onto a laptop? like you see on fast & the furious in the eclipse, he's got his nos gauges and all the engine specs on a computer beside him, and no im not the "fast & the furious groupie" but is there anyhtign like that for the audio asspect of  a car? anything at all is useful, i'd mostly use it  a computer for music, and more than that j ust the looks of it, but hey what the hell, i ran out of things to waste money on, you car stereo nuts know how it is!
beerstud136 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2003 at 10:16 PM / IP Logged  

has anyone even HEARD of anything close to what im talking about?

Lobstermagnet 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: January 31, 2003 at 10:34 PM / IP Logged  

On The Fast & The Furious, he used the computer because he (supposedly) had what I believe is called "Venom Nitrous," which, from what I understand, is very similar to regular push-and-go nitro, except it's flow is computer regulated. In the movie, the laptop was useless, because he didn't have any of the Venom components, just the computer. It was your standard bottle and set up, with a computer for show.

Now I can only guess at what you're talking about, but from what I understand, you want to use your computer as an MP3 player instead of putting one in. Kinda like using a portable CD player and a car-tape kit? Well, you could just buy a double sided mini stereo cord like those  used for recording using portable MD players. It's a cord with a "headphone" jack on each side. You could plug one end into your laptop's speaker output, and the other into your headphone-sized aux jack on your deck (assuming you have one). If not, then you could buy a cord with one headphone jack, and two (red, white) RCA hook-ups on the other side, like the kind for hooking up your discman to a personal stereo reciever, like the kind in your house.

If you do either of those, you'll most likely end up without the best quality, but the setup you want.

If not, then you're in for a tedious process of figuring out what wires do what, and splicing splicing splicing!

beerstud136 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 02, 2003 at 4:53 PM / IP Logged  
my head unit has an aux input, i already have the rca cable that has an earphone jack on one end and 2 rca males on the other, would go form the audio out on the computer to the rca input of the aux channel on the head unit, i know that would work, but im just wondering if there is any type of compent for a computer that would allow you to fine tune the sound and settings of your system, someone i was talking to was telling me that kenwood came out with a full system that allows you to do everything from check your ground connects to the status of your fuses, all on a computer, anyone ever heard of this?
Big Purds 
Silver - Posts: 574
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2003 at 1:13 AM / IP Logged  

I think your friend is feeding you a line and you are swallowing it whole...

I havent heard of any such program personally, and when I asked all of my friends in various shops around, all they had to say was HA!

and as afforementioned, all you are doing is adding more components to degrade your sound by doing what you are wanting to do...mobile audio decks will play your music at much higher quality than your computer will ever comprehend in its time...

and BTW, a true stereo "nut" NEVER EVER runs out of things to waste money on...have you bought a pair of Wilson Audio GrandSlams (approx. $150K) and tore them apart to install in your car yet? there will always be upgrades to what you are running...got any Kimber Cable or even Monster Cable M series wiring?

a true audiophile realizes and relishes in the fact that they will NEVER be done at any given point in time...they may reach a point where its time to take a break for a bit, but completion is the gold at the end of the rainbow...

giff 
Member - Posts: 38
Member spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2003 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  

I asked a similar question here before and got some helpfull replys from a chap who installed a full sized computer in the trunck of his Acura as an MP3 server using (mostly, I think) Alpine products. Do a search in the forums here on "MP3 and laptop".

Mp3 is a "lossy" (to say the least) compression algorithm which most audiophiles (ie; stereo snobs!) look down on because of the degradation of the sound quality inherent in a compression algorithm. BUT- IF- you load your future PC based server with .WMA files instead of .mp3, then you will find that with a decent sound card in the machine you will have excellent sound (albeit with a much greater file size... but hell, 180 GIG IDE hard drives are availible for under $280.00 US!)

Always remember that your EARS are ANALOG- DIGITAL is NOT necessarily better than analog sources.

PS: keep in mind that most of the people into car stereo lack the sophistication to comprehend what truly accurate sound reproduction is, and I suspect that you are one of them in light of you're boasting about 158 DB SPL's or some such non-sense, so in your case MP3 files should be just fine!

beerstud136 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2003 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
hey man thats 158 dB's of clear music, not just bass. 75% of my system is dedicated to sound quality!
Big Purds 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 03, 2003 at 11:57 PM / IP Logged  

lmao...

158 db does not lend to sound quality at all...your standards are obviously very low in the spectrum if that is your belief...tell me what you are running that could possibly make 158 dbs sound nice...

beerstud136 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 04, 2003 at 4:28 PM / IP Logged  

well maybe not 75%, i like to exadurate abit, but i invested alot into my high end, not just all into making it boom

JVC KD-SH55 Reciever

Ultimate PS6940 6x9's driven at 100w rms, Ultimate PS52 5 1/4" Components driven at 65w rms, each powered by a Kenwood 749S.

2 12" Kicker L7 Solobarics, powered by a Rockford Fosgate 1500bd power series amp

gimmie a break

Big Purds 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 05, 2003 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  

haha...

sorry, I dont mean to pick on you here, but Ultimate and Sound Quality dont really belong in the same category...I have heard them in may installs and have never been impressed...they sound like most of the cheap generic speakers available in lower end stores...

my personal setup sounds good, but not great either, and that is:

Clarion 9575z head unit (straight preamp, no deck power)

Clarion 7500z digital signal processor

Clarion 655Tz 6 disc changer

Audio Control Epicenter

Focal PolyKevlar 136K components in custom door panel enclosures

Xtant X1244 Hex subs

MTX 2300 (2x300W) for front stage

Crossfire BMF1000D for subs

All Monster Wiring and Accessories...

I havent metered it yet with the Hex 12s, but I hit your exact number (158.8) with my Stroker 18 in an undersized box ported to 63 Hz and a MMats d200hc...I figure I should be able to hit 160 without too much trouble next season cuz I am going to do a bigger box and recone the sub to where the amp does its power...its a dual 4, which needs power at 2 ohm, and the amp does its optimum power at 1 ohm...

oh well, we wil see I guess...

btw, the Hex12s are more for the off season listening pleasure...the Stroker sounds absolutely like ass, especially tuned that high...almost unbearable to listen to, so it goes in and out during competition season...

Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic