icon

Which sub is better, louder?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 21, 2007 at 2:08 PM / IP Logged  
With (2) ZX2500.1's you will need a minimum of a 300 amp alternator and 2 or more G31 Gel cell batteries, with 2 runs of 1/0
I see about $1000 wort of upgrades right there to your electrical system right there to even support that kind of power, have you taken that into consideration yet?
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
kmgraphix 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 12:19 AM / IP Logged  
Today I was at a local electroics store, abt electronics, they had the 13 W7 on display and it sounded amazing and loud, im sure that they dont have the max. watts hooked up to it, so now i am starting to take the 13 W7 into consiteration b/c of its amazing sound quality, and since this sub doesnt hold 2500 watts rms, i prolly won't be getting the 2500's...
I was think of getting the 2 Kicker SX1250's, they are 1 ohm, and the subs are 1.5 (I think) Here is the spec page for the sub...
http://mobile.jlaudio.com/products_subs.php?series_id=10
And for the amp... www.kicker.com
Would this amp work for this sub???
As for the electic work on the car, the only thing that is up to date is the battery, it is and optima yellow top, is that enough to hold 2 of these amps and like a decent 4 channel amp around 500 rms...
The alternator is stock and i will probably have to replace that b/c i have a little power issue as of right now with 1100 rms so i am expecting to change that anyways..
As for the power cable, i will be running a fresh 0 ga. wire, 2 if needed, do you think it will be needed for like 3000 rms total???
And do you think i will need another battery??
THx for you help!
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 12:46 AM / IP Logged  
Plain and simple you cant make power from nothing
The SX1250's will draw close to if not over 150 amps of current each
That puts you in the same boat as a single 2500, you will still need a 300 amp alternator and probably 2 batteries to supply that much power
on average to run a system at normal to high listening levels you will need 50-75 amps fo current per 1000 watt amp
you are looking at 2 amps capable of 1250
for 2500 RMS you are looking at 200 amps of draw on a normal to high listening basis and 300 or possibly more when you really crank it up.
I would seriousy consider upgradeing you alternator if you plan to build I very large setup like this.
A good reliable 300 amp alternator will range from 4350 to $500 depending ont he maker, you can look at Irragio alts High Outout alts or powermaster for a true rating of what they put out and all those will be reliable
2007 World Record
kmgraphix 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 1:45 PM / IP Logged  
jeffchilcott wrote:
That puts you in the same boat as a single 2500, you will still need a 300 amp alternator and probably 2 batteries to supply that much power
I would seriousy consider upgradeing you alternator if you plan to build I very large setup like this.
A good reliable 300 amp alternator will range from 4350 to $500 depending ont he maker, you can look at Irragio alts High Outout alts or powermaster for a true rating of what they put out and all those will be reliable
When you say 2 batteries, do you mean 2 plus the one in the engine compartment, or that one plus another in the back of the car... I have a optima yellow top, would another one of thoes be good or should i change those to like an stinger or something??
As for the alternator, like i said i would be replacing that anyhow soo... Can you send me a link for them??
And about the cable runs, do you think i would have to do one run of 0 ga. or two??
kmgraphix 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 1:51 PM / IP Logged  
Ok since i am starting to get closer and closer to acttualyy doing a big system, i just want to get this straight...
How much louder will having 2 JL Audio W7 13's powered by 2 Kicker SX1250.1 amps be than     1 Solobaric L7 12" powered by a Kicker ZX750.1 amp... I am just wondering if it is going to be much louder and have better SQ before I go out and drop a couple large on it...
THx for your time and help
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 3:04 PM / IP Logged  
If I had to guess on a meter, I would only say 1 to 2 db diffrence, possible of 3 to 4 depending on enclosure
But you will get alot better SQ
The link for the Alts I reccomebd are found here
http://www.highoutputalternator.com/   They are one of the most reliable companys I have delt with yet, and also able to make a HO alt for literly any vehicle on the plant
I would go with a total of 2 batteries, and please stay away from stinger
The yelow top you have is already the top of the gear lines, the only batts that would be mch better then The Optimas would be something along the lines of a Audioforce (same as kenitik but better prices) Or powermaster (again made by the same manufacurer as Kinetik and audioforce but slightly higher price then audio force)
You can find the full line of Audioforce abtteries and also Optimas here
http://www.batteriesareus.com/   on the left side thier is individual links to optima and audioforce batteries
2007 World Record
kmgraphix 
Member spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
Ok i got the quote for the alternator that you sent me and i got it back today... The highest they make is a 200 amps, is that enough amps right???
Here is the reply:
Quotation          
Application :          97-98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4.0L
HO Part Number :     98025A
HO Rating :          200 amps
Our suggested solution to your power needs:
1.     Replacement Alternator     HO 200 amp Alternator Part # 98025A
                    Price includes our 1 year hassle free warranty.
                    Suggested Retail       $735 Your Price   $649
                    http://www.highoutputalternator.com/PDF/Web PDFs - Denso.pdf

Our alternator will directly replace the stock alternator, and interface directly to your car’s computer. No need for brackets or messing with the wire harness.    The only change you will make is the output from the alternator to the battery.    We recommend 4 gauge or larger.
HO alternators are custom built to work with your vehicle’s computer and existing brackets.   Please anticipate a one week delivery time due to our current backlog of orders.
Contact me if you have any questions.
Phillip Potter
H.O. Alternators
1-866-HI-OUTPUT
A little more than expected but that is ok becuase i need a new alternator no matter what becuase my stock alt. is a 90 amp only... Not enough juice!!
jonathancullen 
Silver - Posts: 282
Silver spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 4:07 PM / IP Logged  
damnit thats retarted, i sent mine a couple weeks ago and have gotten nothing..... wtf??? imma try again.
two 12" cadence TXW-12S, cadence TXA-3002 amplifier, 1990 toyota celica system 10 speakers
jeffchilcott 
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 1:33 PM / IP Logged  
The thing about thier alt's is they are tested and that is thier output at idle, unlike most companys that test at 3500RPM
I would almost bet you could get 250-300 out of an alt like that at highway speeds, but 200 in town driving
2007 World Record
zhalverson 
Copper - Posts: 180
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 2:00 PM / IP Logged  

kmgraphix wrote:
Will it be louder or will there just be more air pressure???

Uhh, that's basically how loudness is measured, by air pressure.  Each subwoofer may sound different, and one even may sound louder than the other but in reality more air pressure should=louder.  Sound waves are nothing more than pressure changes in the air.

Also I still have no clue what OHM means?

Should I get the the 1 OHM or 2 OHM, what is the difference and what does it change if anything....

That's the unit for the electrical resistance of the subwoofer.  It changes the loads the amplifier sees and it is important in your choice of setups.  Do some searches and you will find loads of information on this.

Page of 7

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic