the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

klw xa 25

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 16, 2007 at 1:05 AM / IP Logged  
I have been all over the internet, looking for a manual for this animal... Would ANYONE here have access to, or know where one could lay hands upon, the manual for this beast? KLW was purchased YEARS ago by Carver, and now that Carver no longer exists in any recognizable form, my chances of finding a manual for this are dwindling. You guys are my last hope(s).
Really, all I need is the formulae to figure the resistors so I can use it again. AWESOME piece of gear, but all I have is a resistor network for (I think) 50Hz, and I'd like to be able to use it for other frequencies as well.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 19, 2007 at 10:57 PM / IP Logged  
Really... NOBODY knows what happened to them or how to contact them?? Not even you, Dave?
(OK, really, it's a bump...)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 12:38 AM / IP Logged  

I had several of the KLW Audio/Carver processors.  Dan Wiggins actually had a couple of their amps, but those were post Carver too. A picture of it is below.  Do you think it would use the same crossover as your amp?  If so, Dan may have the manual somewhere for it.

Could you bypass it and just use an outboard crossover?

http://www.adireaudio.com/Files/KLW-BroadwayAmp.jpg

haemphyst 
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 10:15 AM / IP Logged  
Actually, the XA-25 is an external crossover, 2-way stereo, or 3-way mono. I couldn't tell you whether these were pre- or post Carver, (although I'm pretty sure it was pre-). Would Dan still have crossover resistors that he could at least get me VALUES of? The modules simply plug into 6-pin sockets on the board, and I have acutally used in the past, 1/8 watt 1% resistors, bent to fit. It worked perfectly, I just don't have the formulae to figure the resistor values anymore.
I have a pair of them, that I want to implement in my "Multimedia System From Hell". klw xa 25 -- posted image. Yes, a 3-way actively crossed-over COMPUTER SYSTEM! Lows are handled by a (already built, and CRAZY) single 10" Aura in an 18" 2.2 cube PR enclosure (powered with 220W RMS, and flat at 18Hz in room, BTW), mids mid-bass are to be determined, but I'm thinking these: TangBand 7's (powered with 200W RMS) in sealed enclosures (because I have a pair of them, already. I think they'll do OK in an on-axis, near-field application like a PC speaker system), and the highs are Vifa D-26 1" fabric domes (powered with 50W RMS). I'm thinking that'll be dynamic enough even for me!
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 10:46 AM / IP Logged  
Well actually I do have a couple of KLW/Carver pieces, a center channel processor and an amplifier.  They are both stored away at home but I don't remember the model numbers.  Finding tech info on these old guys is very difficult...  I'll see if I can help ya.
Support the12volt.com
haemphyst 
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 11:03 AM / IP Logged  
Cool... Thanks, Dave! I figured if ANYBODY here could help me out with info regarding these or the company, it'd be you. I know that KLW/Carver doesn't exist anymore (at least I haven't been able to find anything regarding them anymore), but SOMEBODY has to have information about them and/or their products somewhere... I know Bob Carver is still running about, doing business with Sunfire (his latest baby) but his namesake company is sadly and completely defunct, it seems.
If they use 6 pin resistor networks (wired 1-2, 3-4, and 5-6) for selecting the crossover points, if you could even measure those and give me a resistor value and corresponding crossover frequency, that'd be PERFECT. The more of those I can dump into a spreadsheet, the better off I'll be for figuring other resistor values.
DYohn 
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 11:07 AM / IP Logged  
I sent a message to a guy I know at Phoenix Gold.  We'll see if they obtained the tech library when they bought the old Carver line.
Support the12volt.com
kicker guy 
Copper - Posts: 86
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 11:45 AM / IP Logged  
i personally don't know but maybe someone here could help u http://www.carveraudio.com/phpBB2/index.php It looks like someone there might be able to get you a manual or something
haemphyst 
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 12:51 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks, kicker guy... Found that forum the other night is my return to the quest. There is already one guy looking for the same information I am looking for, and his post has been up for quite a while with 88 views, but no responses. However, while going back over some of the other stuff, I did find a location in Oregon claiming to have acquired the entire Carver repair parts inventory. I'm going to contact them and see if there is anything they can do for me.
DYohn 
Posted: February 20, 2007 at 2:06 PM / IP Logged  
No joy from Phoenix Gold.  According to my contact when they acquired the Carver line it did not include any information on car audio gear.  Sorry.  Your best bet is to find someone who has one and buy a copy of the manual, or perhaps the service center you mention might have it.
Support the12volt.com
Page of 2

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic