icon

best component speakers?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
italian_virus 
Copper - Posts: 143
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  
AHh thanks tdsteele for clarifying that for me. i had a feeling it was going towards amps when you all started bashin my fosgate lolol
hmm i will check it out thanks..
LOL its okk, GTA= Greater Toronto Area (Canada)
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 12:27 AM / IP Logged  

tdsteele wrote:
CDT Audio are great too, and affordable, at least from an online store they are (fixing to order some for my new setup). And I'll ask a dumb question..what is GTA?

Just some conjecture here...

..CDT's speakers are very different sounding from Focal's.

Focal's are bright, accurate... almost to the point of being sterile....although not as sterile as JL or Infinity ...

CDT's have a great sound to them, but it is much warmer and mellower than *any* other speaker brand I've ever heard.

Depending on your musical tastes, you may or may not like CDT, but they are very different.  Myself, I've moved away from CDT as I moved into active xovers and cars with goofy clearances, but I have great memories of the Classic series and EuroFrame series componets in my old Toyota.  Today I still run a pair of CDT 12's.

I would also think you should take a listen to some of the stuff from Boston Acoustics.  I've never gotten some extended time with the Pro series in an actual car, but on a demo board they're probably some of the best speakers I've ever spent time with.  The S-series coaxials are flat-out the best sounding coaxials I've ever heard.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
blks10tt2 
Member - Posts: 11
Member spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 1:36 AM / IP Logged  
im a JL audio fan myself, never heard a bad set of ZR's
2000 Chevy S10. 2 JL 12w7's, 2 JL 1000/1's, 3 Optima Batteries
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 6:00 AM / IP Logged  
Personally, my well tuned ears prefer the Morel speakers first and foremost above anything else, especially CDT. Focal are great speakers, a little to bright for my liking. The Eclipse components have been amazing speakers over the years, made by Vifa in Denmark. Not a Morel mind you but a darn respectable speaker. GTA is not close to me but I am one of the only authorized CDN dealers on this site, Jeff being another. Drop me a PM or msn/e-mail to forbidden@telus.net for more info on these speakers.
Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 6:11 PM / IP Logged  

forbidden wrote: Morel...Focal...Eclipse(Vifa)

I want to know which of these you mentioned (your platinum status more than convinces me) is generally the least expensive? I figured I could actually build a Vifa component set from Parts Express for less than buying a set.

2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
forbidden 
Platinum - Posts: 5,352
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 6:59 PM / IP Logged  

Based on current CDN pricing, the Eclipse components would be the cheaper set based on similar types of speakers. Both Focal and Morel have inexpensive speakers as well, perhaps not quite the same calibre as the Eclipse components. In the upper reaches however, the Morel and Focal speakers are most definitely a superior speaker.

Top Secret, I can tell you but then my wife will kill me.
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 7:14 PM / IP Logged  
So Forbidden, would you say the Eclipse SC8264 would be better than the Morel Tempo 6 set? And while I'm bugging you for info, how would the Morel Tempo 6C Coaxial match up with the Eclipse set? Sorry I ask so many questions..lol.
jmelton86 
Gold - Posts: 1,228
Gold spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 9:00 PM / IP Logged  
Yeah, thanks for everything. But wouldnt building a set of Vifa's with some simple 1st order x-overs be less expensive?
2013 Kia Rio -90a alternator
DDX470HD GTO14001 GTO1014D (x3)
Big3 in 1/0G
1/0G to GTO14001
sedate 
Silver - Posts: 1,173
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2007 at 11:32 PM / IP Logged  

jmelton86 wrote:
But wouldnt building a set of Vifa's with some simple 1st order x-overs be less expensive

Hmm.  forbidden is probably a bit more qualified to answer this, but what the heh. 

The xover is really a critical... *critical* componet in the sound and setup of a high quality speaker system.  The xover is responsible for not just the seperation of the frequencies, but the fundemental voicing of the speaker system.

Individual drivers from parts express really isn't the way to do what you are trying to do.  You'd be much, *much* better off buying any random $150 componet set than using 'simple 1st order xovers' ...

I do applaud your 'out of the box' thinking here, but I would imagine you'd be setting youself up for something that is far less than the products you are trying to emulate.

"I'm finished!" - Daniel Plainview
krazykustoms 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: May 03, 2007 at 5:53 AM / IP Logged  
What do you guys think of Diamond Audio?
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic