the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

reduced sq with lower impedance?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Steven Kephart 
Platinum - Posts: 1,737
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 27, 2007 at 2:48 AM / IP Logged  

zhalverson wrote:
Well since there are different opinions on this one I did a little researching.  I found this article http://www.diyspeakers.net/Articles/Richard%20Pierce%20DAMPING%20FACTOR.pdf which suggests that damping factor has very little effect on the sound of a system and especially not a audibly noticeable difference.  Pretty convincing to me...

This paper however had ample information to back up it's claim.  I especially liked the comment about driver production tolerances having more effect on system Q than damping factor will. 

custom audio ny 
Copper - Posts: 176
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 27, 2007 at 10:35 PM / IP Logged  

This is definatly an interesting topic and debate.

I deal occasionally with the Alpine PDX amplifiers..thier specs (power and distortion) do not change if running at 2ohms or 4ohms.

I recently had a situation where I was running 2-3ohm W7's to the 1000 x 1..which only has a 2ohm rating. Not surprisingly, the amp could not handle the load wired in parallel (blew the fuses on the amp casing) so we re wired in series giving a 6ohm load. I did not notice any difference in output or sound quality.

I have not done any tests using a 1ohm stable amp wired to a 4ohm load so has far as the OP, I can't give a conclusive answer.

I am wondering if the effect of damping factor has more to do with the specific amplifer, rather then simply using the final ohms load by itself to pre-determine if any noticable difference in sound quality could be predicted. As I read more info on this topic..I find it leaning more toward being an amplifer spec and not really coming to anything conclusive result about how it effects sound quality. Being that we are dealing with a vehicle environment, electronics and equipment, vs. home audio tested in a chamber, I question what the actual application of damping factor has do do with real world car audio systems.  Does anyone else see where I am going with this?

Custom Audio
Lynbrook NY
ASE/MECP master certified
Page of 2

Sorry, you can NOT post a reply.
This topic is closed.

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic