icon

haemphyst's new system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 6:17 AM / IP Logged  
Fiberglass resin could be a big help right now.   I started using it for SPL enclosures to add additional strength, but noticed on a few street enclosures how good they were sounding with resin applied.   I dont know if it has anything to do with how pourous the MDF is vs the resin or what, but just a thought for ya to consider
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 8:01 AM / IP Logged  
I will consider it... As I hadn't thought about it previously, but I'll be needing a way to seal the septum at the top and bottom, anyway.
Like you said. In an enclosure where there isn't really any pressure to speak of on the walls, (a TL is almost exclusively atmospheric pressure) I don't really know how much good it'll do, but... WTH, right? Cheap, with potential benefits. I like cheap with potential benefits!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 8:25 AM / IP Logged  
FG resin works wonders to deaden and seal an enclosure.  Dave, is your issue that because of the mod you had to make you're not sure the back baffle will be secure?  Not air tight?  What's the haps man?
Support the12volt.com
hamzter 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 8:39 AM / IP Logged  
whenever I buy a prefabbed sub enclosure I put run fiberglass resin and rubber undercoating inside the enclosure. It adds a lot of weight, but the enclosure is not even the same anymore at that point.
Real solid...
I recommend FG resin.
on another note, I have been building my sub enclosures with 1/2" to 3/4" birch plywood and then I FG the inside with a couple layers of FG mat. That is what a local shop does here, and they make some really good boxes.
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
1991 Infiniti G20 w/JDM SR20DE
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
Optima Red Top in the Trunk
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 8:50 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
FG resin works wonders to deaden and seal an enclosure.  Dave, is your issue that because of the mod you had to make you're not sure the back baffle will be secure?  Not air tight?  What's the haps man?
I will be having a small issue with the back panel sealing completely, not an insurmountable issue, but it's there. It'll be happening at the corners, where the cleats are miter cut. There is a very small space in the corner (around about a 16th inch square - so, exceptionally TINY) where the back won't fill all the way. A little caulking will fix it right up, though.
It'll be secure. I have (I think - don't remember the number right now) 30 screws holding the back panel onto the cleats... It pulls up NICE and tight.
The mod actually came with the septum. It ended up being able to be a little longer, providing me with about 4 extra inches of line length, and the fact that the woofers surrounds are SO tall, I had to laminate a second piece of ¾ MDF to it, for 1.5 inch thick baffle. I hadn't planned on THAT thick a baffle. haemphyst's new system - Page 7 -- posted image. This moved the septum back a half an inch, AND caused the front woofer to protrude about an additional ¼ inch from the front of the entire enclosure.
Also, I can't get the back woofer in! Still haven't cut the cleats yet, to allow it to enter from the rear. I have to be able to have them OUT, because the fleckstone is a spray-on coating!
More details on the way. Off to work right now!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
haemphyst 
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 11:52 AM / IP Logged  
Here's a BUNCH of photos for the build up till now!
haemphyst's new system - Page 7 -- posted image.
Big mess... Soon to be gone complelety!
Parts, and tools! (I like tools!)
Old wire(s) path.
New power wire path haemphyst's new system - Page 7 -- posted image.
New speaker wire route, as well. This is the left side, right side is similar.
James.
Rough layout of TL on bottom panel, before assembly started.
Different angle of same.
An assembly step.
Another...
Another...
Another...
Front panel, cut and test fit.
Cleat being held in place during gluing.
Another cleat.
Big pic of cleats being installed.
Marc... We're not sure about Marc, yet...
Another cleat. The lead weights are from my trebuchet. Yes, I have a trebuchet!
Back panel test fit.
Like a finger in a nose!
LOTS of line space... Dave is giddy with excitement at this point!
More test fitting!
Approximately what the front will look like when complete.
Back panel lamination. (Had to cut the end out of the inside piece so the woofer would have some place to breathe.)
Baffle plate, and septum, in gluing stage.
Full view of same.
Quality control inspection. haemphyst's new system - Page 7 -- posted image.
Hurricane nuts are Dave's friend!
Full view of back of enclosure, from the front.
hustlin247 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 12:52 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
I don't inderstand this question. Do you mean "Why do you need to be able to remove the woofers?" If that is the case, I need to be able to remove the inside (buried) one, in case I were to blow it. If not, please expand your question a bit... Tell me exactly what you want to know! haemphyst's new system - Page 7 -- posted image.

On TCsounds website it shows the magnet being removeable from the spider... and its threaded..?

'94 Ford Explorer / Kenwood KVT-815DVD / RF Power T1682C 6x8 (all doors) / RF Power T10001 / 12" Kicker L5 (x4) / Optima Yellow Top Battery
haemphyst 
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 1:30 PM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:
Outstanding. Can't wait to see (and maybe even hear) the finished product.
It can all be yours, IF you decide to go to the 2nd Annual (but first happening of) the12volt.com Barbecue! Any more interest in it yet, anybody?
hustlin247 wrote:

haemphyst wrote:
I don't inderstand this question. Do you mean "Why do you need to be able to remove the woofers?" If that is the case, I need to be able to remove the inside (buried) one, in case I were to blow it. If not, please expand your question a bit... Tell me exactly what you want to know! haemphyst's new system - Page 7 -- posted image.

On TCsounds website it shows the magnet being removeable from the spider... and its threaded..?

Oh... no. That's not a feature on the TC1000's, but otherwise, the reason would be so you can ship only the light part of the driver - the (around 5 pounds) basket, cone and voice coil, rather than a 30+ pound magnet structure...
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 1:55 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
It can all be yours, IF you decide to go to the 2nd Annual (but first happening of) the12volt.com Barbecue! Any more interest in it yet, anybody?

...oO(What's an annual the12volt.com barbeque without the12volt? If any of you guys make it here tomorrow, you can be a part of our first annual pool party haemphyst's new system - Page 7 -- posted image. )

haemphyst's new system - Page 7 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
hustlin247 
Copper - Posts: 79
Copper spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 2:34 PM / IP Logged  
Is the pool party going down in the Seattle area? Because its about 84 degrees here right now and that'd be nice.
'94 Ford Explorer / Kenwood KVT-815DVD / RF Power T1682C 6x8 (all doors) / RF Power T10001 / 12" Kicker L5 (x4) / Optima Yellow Top Battery
Page of 12

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic