the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

haemphyst's new system

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 2:38 PM / IP Logged  
No, it's in the New Orleans area and it's been in the 90's here.
haemphyst's new system - Page 8 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
DYohn 
Moderator - Posts: 10,741
Moderator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 2:48 PM / IP Logged  
Hey that looks nice, Volt!  Is that a pool Katrina built?  haemphyst's new system - Page 8 -- posted image.
Support the12volt.com
the12volt 
Administrator - Posts: 3,955
Administrator spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 03, 2007 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
Lol  ...I wish. My insurance barely covered the cost of replacing my roof. As a matter of fact, I was still out of pocket a few hundred duckies just for that.
haemphyst's new system - Page 8 -- posted image. the12volt • Support the12volt.com
tdsteele 
Silver - Posts: 393
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2007 at 4:48 PM / IP Logged  
Got a question for ya, how exactly did you come up with the ideas/plans for the enclosure you are building?
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 04, 2007 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
Well, I started with just a deep tuned vented enclosure - you've seen the plans. When I tried to fit it into my trunk, and it wasn't going to happen as neatly or as easily as I wanted it to, my hand was forced.
I've been building TLs for years, my largest set are in my buddy Dave's living room. They are 18 inch woofers (Radio Shack, actually, sourced from KSC, about 10 or so years ago) in unstuffed TLs that are about as large as a refrigerator. They weigh in around 250 pounds each (I never weighed then, but I've hefted 'em around enough LOL) and make AMAZING subsonic bass.
From those designs, I found a design called "The Un-Line" in a Speaker Builder Magazine, (I want to say a 1988 issue) and I built a few smaller ones, based on that information. Around about that time I started working for a car stereo shop here in Bakersfield, and I was the guy everybody came to, when "too low" wasn't "low enough". I really raised the bar, though, when I put a pair of Infinity Pro 12's in stuffed lines in my 86 Civic. A 9 cubic foot, 300 pound (damped with sand, thank you haemphyst's new system - Page 8 -- posted image.) enclosure, it was without question, the very deepest, tightest, smack-you-in-the-chestiest, bass I ever heard in my life.
Even the Infinity rep for our store thought it was that good.
So, that's where the idea came from, it was just a natural progression from HUGE vented enclosure that WOULDN'T fit, to TL, that will! The nicest part about a stuffed line is that you can tune it for the environment in which it is installed, so this is why I think this is going to be a very good solution to my space contraints vs. my everquest for deep response!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 12:32 PM / IP Logged  
Anybody got any idea how to CALL Dom at Iraggi? All I have is e-mail info, and that's from his store on eBay. I'd like to ask him if there is a higher output alternator for my car... Seems my OTHER one is going out.
If I could rebuild it, I would, but buying internal regulators seems to be a no-no if you AREN'T an alternator supplier, OEM or rebuilder... What up wit dat!?!
:::::::NEW INPUT:::::::
Seems the alternator in the 01-05 Civic, with the 1.7L engine, is a Mitsubishi alternator, and as per the guys at Ohio Gen, there isn't any way to really get the power density up past around 110A reliably.
Now, he did tell me that there is a drop-in replacement, in a Denso housing, (supposedly from an Acura... I'll have to look into that) rated for 160A, hot and 190A, cold. But my GAWD, they are expensive... 525 BUCKS! There HAS to be someplace cheaper than that!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
dwarren 
Platinum - Nominee - Posts: 1,811
Platinum - Nominee spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 12:40 PM / IP Logged  
Dude I got a an Irragi alt sitting in my room. You wanna buy it? It's for a 94 accord non v-tech?
haemphyst 
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 12:56 PM / IP Logged  
dwarren wrote:
Dude I got a an Irragi alt sitting in my room. You wanna buy it? It's for a 94 accord non v-tech?
If that's the one that is in the Denso case, that is supposed to fit my car... You bet! I'm doing the research on it right now. If that's the one that is the 200A for the Accord 94 2.2L it might just be the toy I am looking for!
haemphyst 
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 11:31 PM / IP Logged  
It's freakin' HOT out there! STILL has to be at least 95 or so.
Well, I sealed the MDF, and put the first coat of grey Fleckstone on it, about 15 minutes ago. I like the grey! This thing is getting SO close! I still need to order a trunk floor carpet from Honda...
Good Lord willin', and the creek don't rise, I should be able to finish this whole thing up this weekend. BOOyah!
At LEAST, I'll have it in, and listening to tunes... Might not be cosmetically perfect, but it'll be running! This weekend'll give me plenty of time to tune it! I've got a couple little things I need to do to the enclosure (radiusing the corners, and stuffing) before I can call it complete, but, they are little things.
Listening results and complete pictorial to follow, probably tomorrow night!
hamzter 
Copper - Posts: 116
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: July 05, 2007 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  
cool... can't wait to see it.
Mark "Hamzter" Cinense
1991 Infiniti G20 w/JDM SR20DE
Eclipse CD8445
MTX Thunder 684
Polk DB6750
Polk DB6500
Optima Red Top in the Trunk
Page of 12

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic