< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2007 at 10:30 AM / IP Logged  
DYohn wrote:

will_22_82 wrote:
also it was a 185.1 but it was unofficial

OK, time for me to call BS.  First, "unofficial" is the same thing as "never happened."  And second, the official world's record is still Scott Owens' 180.5 as far as I know.  Someone here will correct me (I hope they do) if I'm wrong since I'm really not an SPL guy.  But I do know that if you hit 185.1 anywhere near a calibrated mic, everyone would know your name by now.

The official world record is 181.5 right now, by Mr. Scott Owens.   And very very surprisingly there is someone right behind him!   And the crazy thing about it is Alan Dante is over 179DB 179.6 if I remember correctly on 1 WOOFER!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats insane and yes his is all legit and legal!
The score of 185 was done in a show in South america, the mic kept falling from the stand/dash where it is supposed to be located for world records, it is believed when the mic was hitting the floor it was spiking.   I will try and find the results from that show, I know the vehicle was loud very very loud, and it was doing consistant 176-178db runs during the prior round, but not over 180DB
There are still only 2 people over 180DB, Scott owens for legal/ dash position, and Matt Sibley for super port wars, where the mic is in the box, he was actually the FIRST to break 180db on the term lab mic. And it is still very hard to do even with the mic in the enclosure!
Im not trying to mock anyone, but competition is more about design then the money and equipment you have, I spent a long time, roughly 6-7 months attempting to break 150db in a trunk car, then I got my CRX and spent another 5-6 months going for over 160db, this year my goal is slightly higher, 162.2db
Good luck with your build, but I will say this much, if the is concrete forward of the B piller, (where your seat belts bolt to) you will be in Super modified or Extreme. SM for USACi, amnd EX for Db Drag.
With the power and amount of woofers top classes in both orgs.   If you really wanted a piece of Scott Owens and the best in the world your gonna get it, You will need over 179+ at either world finals, and roughly over 160 at any MAJOR show.
Good luck with your build, please post more pictures, and maybe some pointers will get thrown out there
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
dstang24 
Copper - Posts: 98
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2007 at 12:10 PM / IP Logged  
During testing at our shop I've seen numbers above 185... of course this was when the mic was on the floor.  HAHA. 
Team Edge Audio
jeffchilcott 
Platinum - Posts: 2,483
Platinum spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2007 at 12:24 PM / IP Logged  
dstang24 wrote:
During testing at our shop I've seen numbers above 185... of course this was when the mic was on the floor.  HAHA. 
Thats why I dotn understand why Scot wont put it on the floor at USACi.    I know during DB5 there was a score of 182-183 somewhere in the vehicle, I didnt pay much attention, I was a little hammered with the Team Budweiser guys!
2009 0-1000 Trunk WR 154.0DB 2009 1001+ Trunk WR
2007 USACI World Champion
2007 World Record
2006 USACI Finals 2nd Place
dstang24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2007 at 2:12 PM / IP Logged  

jeffchilcott wrote:
dstang24 wrote:
Thats why I dotn understand why Scot wont put it on the floor at USACi.    I know during DB5 there was a score of 182-183 somewhere in the vehicle, I didnt pay much attention, I was a little hammered with the Team Budweiser guys!

HAHA!  Gotta love that Bud.  I know that at one of the competitions he hit 182.7 or something like that.  I'm guessing that the mic wasn't on the dash for that one. 

Team Edge Audio
will_22_82 
Copper - Posts: 89
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 02, 2007 at 9:22 PM / IP Logged  
i'm not saying that I will for sure. I am saying I have the equipment and vechile to do it. In time with really fine tuning who knows. Thats what and all I can hope. I got the windshield out today and doing that really sucked. The glass broke while I was taking it out yesterday, so we shattered the rest. I pulled the frame out and chizzled out the seal and rest of the glass. Next step is rebuilding the dash outta concrete and wood. To answer the glass question I am using 4 in. plexy
will_22_82 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2007 at 5:34 PM / IP Logged  
They Started on the dash today, reinforcing it with rebar and wire. Trading in both alternators for 2 with 360 amp output each. Everything is going smooth, but alot of work is still to come.
dstang24 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2007 at 6:04 PM / IP Logged  
Awesome!  I've never actually seen the process of building a pure SPL competition vehicle first hand.  I've only seen the pioneer trucks get rebuilt.  It would be awesome to participate or watch the work y'all are doing.  Where are you building this vehicle?
Team Edge Audio
will_22_82 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 04, 2007 at 8:20 PM / IP Logged  
ashland, ky
will_22_82 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2007 at 10:54 AM / IP Logged  
Anybody here live close to ashland, ky
will_22_82 
Copper spacespace
Posted: June 05, 2007 at 10:55 AM / IP Logged  
I'd say when we get ready to fire it up that there are gonna be a lot of people there
Page of 12

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic