icon

relocating deck location

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
poundinblazer 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 12:29 AM / IP Logged  

hey whats up im new hear im getting into fiberglass enclosers and i know what i wont to do but have a few questions on where i wont to relocate the CD player. i have a 97 blazer and i wont to fiberglass a 7inch moniter where the stock double din is and i have been looking for a good place to relocate it and was wonting to put it between the visors. the only problem i see is how to mount it there. i dont have a problem building the housing or extending the wires down the A-pilers just need ideas on how to mount it. here is a crappy MSPaint on what im wonting to do.

relocating deck location -- posted image.

poundinblazer 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 12:31 AM / IP Logged  
O and no im not trying to put the rear veiw under it im putting the CD player in front of the rear veiw. i hope yall understand.
bellsracer 
Silver - Posts: 703
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 2:04 AM / IP Logged  

Consider getting a universal add-on case from someplace like Circuit City or Best Buy. It can mount to the roof so all you really need to do is just get the wiring up there. I am pretty sure that the roof has a bit of a contour at the front of the headliner so you will have to do some trimming to get a clean flush fit with the case. Then once you have the case ready, all you need is a small hole to route your wires through the headliner.

The case should be around $22-27.

Ganbatte ne!

Never send your ducks to eagle school.
The difference between ordinary and extraordinary is that little extra.
The 3Ls of life: Learn from the Past, Live for the Present, Look to the Future.
jurb 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 9:16 AM / IP Logged  
Universal add on case? Can someone provide a link for that?
spookiestylez 
Silver - Posts: 531
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 9:56 AM / IP Logged  
LINK to one at circuit city, but best buy and most any audio shops should have this part in stock. This kit has a bit of a texture to it but could easliy be cleaned up and ready for a smooth finish with paint. Good luck on your project.
sS
rtfm
jurb 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 10:10 AM / IP Logged  
How would I mount that to my roof? I definitely don't want to drill screws through it. Glue?
poundinblazer 
Member spacespace
Posted: June 21, 2007 at 12:57 PM / IP Logged  

jurb wrote:
How would I mount that to my roof? I definitely don't want to drill screws through it. Glue?

lol i dont have to ask any questions. thanks everyone for the info. i might buy 1 o those cases.

bellsracer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2007 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  

jurb wrote:

You could glue a 1/2" - 3/4" piece of MDF to the roof of the car. I like to use gorilla glue and then have the wood held in place using a shower curtain rod (the ones that twist to open) with a little bit of pressure on it so as the glue expands, the wood doesn't shift. Then mount the casing to that.

Ganbatte ne!

Installer_mss 
Copper - Posts: 221
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2007 at 5:13 PM / IP Logged  
pull your headliner out and mold a base out of fiberglass like you're building a molded woofer box and trime accordingly.  make a din-sized ring and treat it like a small woofer box.  then you can mount it be predrilling some 1/8" inch holes and using short screws to mount from the back (or top if you will) side of the headliner.  you can cover it in the same material as the liner or whatever you want.
"If a man made it, another can modify it...it just takes some thinking."
"If you ask questions, you're a fool for 5 minutes; if you don't, you're a fool for a lifetime."
bellsracer 
Silver spacespace
Posted: June 26, 2007 at 9:40 PM / IP Logged  

But won't the weight of the unit (along with vibration from driving) cause the system to bounce and pull the headliner down? I think gluing the unit to something a bit more structural would make the install much more effective and take the weight off of the headliner. The only time I would install with the headliner as support is to also distribute the weight over a large area of the headliner by using a large board to distribute the weight.

I could be mistaken...

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic