the12volt.com spacer
icon

06 f350 rs issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Copper - Posts: 82
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 11:00 AM / IP Logged  

My customer has a 2006 F350 Diesel superduty, I put a NuStart {NU-(s) 8000} brand 2 way starter in his truck last week, hooked up tach under the dash where my tech sheets told me to, set the diesel timer blah,blah, blah, so here is the issue,  everything works just fine and dandy when its warmer outside or in the afternoon, but in the morning when my customer goes to start his truck, it will fire and run for about a minute then stop, Ive tried a few things but to no avail, has anyone ever had this type of issue? it starts and runs fine during the day and warmer temps, but in hte morning it only runs for like a minute or two before shutting off?

Thanks Guys.

Matt

Matthew Robertson
Senior Installer
Best Buy Deerfoot Meadows
Calgary, AB, Canada
usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 12:26 PM / IP Logged  
On cold days it may idle quicker resulting in a tach signal that is different than when you programmed the tach when you installed it..If this is the problem, try programming the tach while racing the idle slightly..you could also see what the tach reading is when the truck is cold verses warm..
What "fix" did you try allready?
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 1:25 PM / IP Logged  

Ive tried reprogramming tach to various idles, lower and higher, regardless when the truck is cold the idle shouldnt change enough to effect the R.S.

Ive tried replacing the brain for a newer one, and reprogram the glow plugs for a little shorter, maybe overheating glowplugs on a cold morning?

Matthew Robertson
Senior Installer
Calgary, AB, Canada
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 1:37 PM / IP Logged  

Why would the tach (or being hot or cold) have anything to do with "run time"?

If the tach is correct, it's correct. The only thing an impropper tach setting would have any effect on, is starting or not,

and grinding. I believe these trucks have built in anti-grind.... so this really should not be an issue

Does your remote start have a built in timer for glow plug, or do you need to have the glow plug wire connected?

usabuilt 
Copper - Posts: 161
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 1:49 PM / IP Logged  
Idle speed change DOES affect run time, if at start idle, is 3 to 4%
different than the resting idle it could cause the unit to shut down, I've seen it happen a million times.
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 4:21 PM / IP Logged  

with the tech sheets i have it says use tach from under the dash. do you guys have any other locations to get tach and or voltage sense?

and any more ideas why it would not run in the morning but fine in the afternoon?

Matthew Robertson
Senior Installer
Calgary, AB, Canada
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 4:24 PM / IP Logged  
UH voltage sense requires no hook up, just a programing change.
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 4:26 PM / IP Logged  

why in the manual then does it say to hook up the tach wire to alternator for voltage sense? 

new to compustar, never hd to do VS before.

Matthew Robertson
Senior Installer
Calgary, AB, Canada
xtremej 
Gold - Posts: 1,440
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 4:29 PM / IP Logged  
For tach go to tach, alternator to the stator wir on back of the alt. For voltage sense no hook up is required. Although we had 3 4200dx brains that would not do voltage sense last saturday.
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2007 at 4:41 PM / IP Logged  

ahh ok i understand, i thought voltage sense was alternator sense, my bad thanks for clearing that up.

Now back to the issue at hand? ideas?

Matthew Robertson
Senior Installer
Calgary, AB, Canada
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic