the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

first fiberglass project shop display

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 10:48 AM / IP Logged  
I figured I would post up some pics of my first fiberglass project. I have used this site to teach myself, and finally decided to give it a go on a new display for my shop (Circuit City, Albany, NY). It is very rough right now, and is going to need quite a bit of sanding/prep work before I carpet it, but I dont think it was all that bad of a job for a first time thing.
first fiberglass project shop display -- posted image.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
offroadzj 
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
ouch.. is it realy that bad that nobody dares to provide feedback??? lol. This is by far a learning experience, so any feedback is greatly appreciated.
Thanks
Kenny
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
mrbubbles00482 
Member - Posts: 31
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
What did you use to wrap your frame with?
jlord16 
Silver - Posts: 322
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 10:27 PM / IP Logged  

There are afew air bubbles in there that could have been taken out before the resin dries

Look at buying either a fibreglass roller or trying to work those air bubbles out with your brush so you dont have to use so much bog

Otherwise it looks fine, i like the design as its pictured in MDF

Clarion DB36MP
Infinity Kappa Perfect 10"
Respone 800w Mono
ALPINE MRP-F250
*Custom fabrications*
offroadzj 
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 10:32 PM / IP Logged  
the design that is shown in mdf was the original idea. However, as i was stretching the fleece (jsut a fleece blanket from walmart.. lol), one of the supports broke on the 6x9, and instead of undoing all of the fleece, i just simply broke the other one to make it match.. lol. I didnt even realize how many air bubbles there were til it dried, but it really just means more sanding/smoothing, but it should come out pretty good in the end.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
dbcat111 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 10:58 PM / IP Logged  
take this as  a learning expirience I used to have this problems with the bubbles next time used smller pieces of mat about 3 to 4 inches and cut the brush to about an inch and use a stabbing motion and that will get rit of all the bubbles I know it help me hopefully it can help you
dbcat
offroadzj 
Posted: November 05, 2007 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
another method i have heard about from local fiberglassers is to mix resin with the body filler that has the fiber hairs in it witha 50/50 mixture and the correct hardner for the resin. Then using this "milkshake" as a paste to just soak the fleece and it will harden to the same strength as using mat. Any opinions on this? It definately seems to be a much easier approach, but is it really as strong??
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
dbcat111 
Member - Posts: 39
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 9:54 AM / IP Logged  
for a project like this it may work but i don't recoment that for a sub box
dbcat
cwwlv 
Member - Posts: 5
Member spacespace
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
is this on the planogram? did u clear this thru DM  LOL check out fiberglass forums to get some more ideas
offroadzj 
Posted: November 06, 2007 at 4:43 PM / IP Logged  
it is not on the planogram, but it our current display just plain looks like crap. I had it cleared through the store director a couple weeks ago, but now that I have spent the money out of pocket, it doesnt look like Im going to get reimbursed... AWESOME.. lol. But either way, the same products will still be displayed, just in a much cleaner, better looking way.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic