strange wiring issue, alarm, 2010 edge

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
topless stang 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2012 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  
Mike M2 wrote:

If the issue continues after the switch is out that should be telling you it ain't it since the BCM needs to see the negative trigger off the switch for them to be on. Same issue we had, lights stayed on. Did you try connecting a positive light trigger to a wire at the switch? That's what our installer did and poof.

Have you gone thru every fuse in the car to be sure? Long shot but worth checking...

I didn't wire anything up to the switch, I used wires in the driver side kick. The positive trigger for the parking lights has been disconnected. The documentation I had also identified the Brake (+) like as PURPLE / white. I disconnected that also. The alarm brain is disconnected so the only thing seeing +12v are the two constant wires on the alarm harnesses, the ignition wires on the alarm harnesses and the parking light input wire on the alarm harness. Im really puzzled. I haven't checked fuses because from what I thought if a fuse was blown the headlights and tail lights would not come on at all.
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,427
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2012 at 6:32 PM / IP Logged  
I know some fords headlights come on when the switch is unplugged. I know newer towncars do it not sure about the edge I've never unplugged the switch. So maybe you still have a bad switch ?
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2012 at 7:09 PM / IP Logged  
I remember that the headlights do come on if the switch is unplugged on the 2007 and 2008 Edge.  ( Used to add a wire to get lighted moonroof control switch feature on the Edge like the Lincoln MkX has.)   Still think it's safest to grab the (+) Parking Lights at the SJB.
Soldering is fun!
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,427
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2012 at 7:28 PM / IP Logged  
My thought was he was wondering why the lights stay on even with the switch unplugged but it's normal for that to happen so he could still be looking at the switch either repair or replace
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
topless stang 
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2012 at 9:47 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks guys. I'll call around tomorrow and get the switch replaced. Then try to tap the parking brake at the sjb. Any idea about the locks not working or the firmware on the bypass? From what I could tell no relay was needed, so I wired directly to the lock/unlock wiring. Is that correct? I believe I still have a dei 451m laying around and can use that if needed. Thanks again for all the advice!
kreg357 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 30, 2012 at 10:08 PM / IP Logged  

Using the straight (-) Door Lock and Unlock output wires to the Edge should work fine.  Are you sure

you have connected to the correct lock wires?  I usually grab them at the SJB, too.  Gray 26 Pin
connector, Plug C, Pins 4 and 17.

To re-use the FLCAN, you must perform a Factory Reset, then select the Install Mode and lock it

in.  Then program to the Edge.  The wiring is slightly different from the Mazda 5, too.  Follow
the FLCAN install guide for the version of firmware you have currently flashed on the module.

Soldering is fun!
topless stang 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2012 at 12:51 AM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:

Using the straight (-) Door Lock and Unlock output wires to the Edge should work fine.  Are you sure

you have connected to the correct lock wires?  I usually grab them at the SJB, too.  Gray 26 Pin

To re-use the FLCAN, you must perform a Factory Reset, then select the Install Mode and lock it

in.  Then program to the Edge.  The wiring is slightly different from the Mazda 5, too.  Follow
the FLCAN install guide for the version of firmware you have currently flashed on the module.

I didn't meter them, but I also grabbed those from the driver kick. I'm thinking I'm going to cut all of the wires ran to the kick and grab them from the sjb. I tried to use that at first, but the C connector was a PAIN to get to, so I wanted to try something else. I'll try again before I install the new light switch.
topless stang 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2012 at 1:09 AM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:

I haven't figured out to edit my post, but I forgot to answer this part....I did the factory reset and then locked it into data mode for installation. When I tried to program it all I get is flashing lights. I think that means it detected a false ground, so I'll have to connect the brake wire to the correct feed, I just have it connected to ground now.
kreg357 
Posted: October 01, 2012 at 6:53 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, the SJB is difficult to get to on the Edge but there is good info on wire locations, plugs and pin numbers available that can make it worth while.

The Flashing Red LED could mean it's not getting good info from the vehicle because it's incorrectly connected ( wired wrong ).  On the latest ADS FM install guide ( which might be different from the one written for your version of Firmware ), the Type 1 diagram shows it as a Type E connector at the ignition switch.  ( Type 2 wiring is used for the Mazda5.)

Soldering is fun!
topless stang 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 01, 2012 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  
kreg357 wrote:

Yes, the SJB is difficult to get to on the Edge but there is good info on wire locations, plugs and pin numbers available that can make it worth while.

The Flashing Red LED could mean it's not getting good info from the vehicle because it's incorrectly connected ( wired wrong ).  On the latest ADS FM install guide ( which might be different from the one written for your version of Firmware ), the Type 1 diagram shows it as a Type E connector at the ignition switch.  ( Type 2 wiring is used for the Mazda5.)

Ok, maybe it'll all work out the 2nd time I go for the install. I looked at the latest manual on the site that shows a type e connector using wires 3 & 4 + a connection to the ignition wire, which is what I used. Have you installed on an Edge before & if so how in the hell did you contort yourself to reach the SJB?? I tried everything...including putting the driver seat all the way back, climbing in the from rear and hanging upside down...as the blood rushed to my head I figured that there must be a better way lol.
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic