the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

strange wiring issue, alarm, 2010 edge

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2012 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
Yes, with a 3 or 5 amp fuse installed.  
Soldering is fun!
topless stang 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2012 at 1:03 PM / IP Logged  
Gotta love ford....the harness I connected the brake (+) wire to had two different PURPLE / white wires....now that's corrected I can program the bypass...the parking light issue is still a thorn in my side lol
topless stang 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2012 at 1:21 PM / IP Logged  
Ok, another small update....
I did some more testing with my DMM. When I turn on just the parking lights the voltage at the switch is only 1.5. When I unlock/lock the car is see a quick spike up to 12.34 & while remote start is engaged the parking light (+) wire is getting fed a constant 14v while the car is running. The steering wheel buttons and the HVAC controls light up and stay lit and also flash when they are supposed to, but these parking lights will not flash and it's driving me crazy lol....I'm sure someone has had to have seen this issue before. All other functions on the alarm work, except for light flash...
chev104275 
Gold - Posts: 1,427
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2012 at 1:35 PM / IP Logged  
You must have the wrong wire for the lights. In the DKP its there 3 wires in green or black tape ? There Along the harness in the sill plate. There should be 3 wires 2 PURPLE / white 1 of them is brake, the other is parking lights also there should be a blue/green wire which should be door lock from the passenger switch.   
If you do have the correct wire maybe you blew a fuse in the truck causing your lights not to work ?
If i Can't Install it    I Don't need it   Joe
topless stang 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2012 at 1:46 PM / IP Logged  
chev104275 wrote:
You must have the wrong wire for the lights. In the DKP its there 3 wires in green or black tape ? There Along the harness in the sill plate. There should be 3 wires 2 PURPLE / white 1 of them is brake, the other is parking lights also there should be a blue/green wire which should be door lock from the passenger switch.   
If you do have the correct wire maybe you blew a fuse in the truck causing your lights not to work ?
I didn't use the DKP, I have the alarm parking light output wire connected directly to the parking light (+) wire at the light switch itself. I've used a DMM to ensure this connection shows voltage on the line only when the parking lights are switched on. The wire is PURPLE / white and it's the only PURPLE / white wire on the light switch harness.
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2012 at 2:05 PM / IP Logged  
topless stang wrote:
I did some more testing with my DMM. When I turn on just the parking lights the voltage at the switch is only 1.5. When I unlock/lock the car is see a quick spike up to 12.34 & while remote start is engaged the parking light (+) wire is getting fed a constant 14v while the car is running. The steering wheel buttons and the HVAC controls light up and stay lit and also flash when they are supposed to, but these parking lights will not flash and it's driving me crazy lol....I'm sure someone has had to have seen this issue before. All other functions on the alarm work, except for light flash...
Then I am confused as to this post. This post makes it seem like you definitely have the wrong wire. The parking light wire should show 12volts when the lights are turned on, and no other time. Hopefully you haven't already done irreversible damage to the vehicle's electronics.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
topless stang 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2012 at 2:09 PM / IP Logged  
offroadzj wrote:
topless stang wrote:
Then I am confused as to this post. This post makes it seem like you definitely have the wrong wire. The parking light wire should show 12volts when the lights are turned on, and no other time. Hopefully you haven't already done irreversible damage to the vehicle's electronics.
The parking lights do not show 12v when turned on via the switch, it only shows 1.5v. When the alarm send power it shows up as 12v. All other functions on the alarm and the car work, except the flashing parking lights. All lights work correctly via the switch(dash cluster, steering wheel buttons, HVAC controls & parking lights f&r), but when the alarm sends a signal only the steering wheel controls & HVAC controls light up.
topless stang 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2012 at 2:11 PM / IP Logged  
Also, I tested all other wires at the switch. There are a couple that show 12v, but they show that weather any light is turned on or not. Only the PURPLE / white wire shows voltage when the parking lights are turned on. When the parking lights are not in use no voltage is on the PURPLE / white wire.
kreg357 
Platinum - Posts: 7,783
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2012 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  

The Parking Light wire at the Headlight switch is Gray and tests as (-).  However, to use this Gray wire

to turn on the Parking Lights during remote start can be hazardous.  If done incorrectly you will end up
damaging the Headlight switch.  Here is a warning note from DEI :

May need to interrupt the headlight switch ground wire when triggering this wire.

It is BLACK/ purple at the headlight switch, gray 10 pin plug, pin 1.

See Tech Doc 1096 for wiring information.

Here is a link to TechTip 1096 :  https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/file.asp?ID=1077 

Soldering is fun!
flobee4 
Silver - Posts: 585
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 06, 2012 at 2:27 PM / IP Logged  
There is no Positive Parking Light wire at the switch... You can only find that wire in the drivers kick panel or the SJB and as mentioned before it is PURPLE / white. Do not send Positive to the switch wires, that is known to blow out the switch. Remount the switch and forget about the wires behind it...
EDIT: Of course you can add a relay and follow document 1096 as stated above, then you would need access to the switch wires to follow the document posted above. But personally on the Edge I always use PURPLE / white in the kick panel, there are quite a few PURPLE / Whites. Thats why you need to test. Sometimes I get it on the first test, sometimes on the last one..
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic