icon

Setting Up Front Imaging

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 6:46 PM / IP Logged  

i pulled the DIP headers off the green board and found there was a little slip of paper underneath each one and the sub had 70hz under it. the other two had 150hz. There are no resistors on top of the PFM. it's a white rectangle with 90 hz written on it. is that where I'm going to need to build a DIP for it? I need to take a picture of this and draw on it for you, so I can understand this better. I've been working all day and the hampster in my mind has slowed the wheel down big time lol!

I was on lunch today sitting in my truck trying to learn my radio's eq to some dj shadow.... I had never heard of Rick Davies, so I did a search on him and ran across a guy named Robert Rich.... very good stuff!!!

Im sure my truck will sound absolutely wonderful, but I think it's going to take me learning a lot more and investing in some better amps before I need to try and come knock on your door lol! But hey, maybe someday!

By the way..... I think I've decided on a PDX1.1000 and two of the PDX4.100 or 150. I'd really like to run eclipse amps, but I just can't find one that matches the eclipse 4ch I have that provides enough power lol! I want my amps to match so bad lol!!! 

...don't crush the weasel...
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 7:17 PM / IP Logged  
That's the same amp compliment I am using... Very sweet sounding stuff. A single 1.1000 and a pair of 4.150's, one bridged to the mid-bass. You might consider a 1.1000, a 2.150, and a 4.100. STILL a ton of power, and you'll be able to save a few bennies, too. 1700 watts RMS... Geez. Setting Up Front Imaging - Page 10 -- posted image. I thought *I* was the only insane man round about these parts! (With a proper nod in the direction of Mr. SPL himself, of course...)
As far as the present PFM, it's "potted". The resistors are inside, and the case is filled with plastic.
Rick Davies is the lead singer for one of the finest (IMO) rock and roll bands of my generation - Supertramp. I have every studio album they have ever released, and even one or two that they DIDN'T! Now, Robert Rich is the guy *I've* never heard of! :)
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
Rick Davies is the lead singer for one of the finest (IMO) rock and roll bands of my generation - Supertramp. I have every studio album they have ever released, and even one or two that they DIDN'T! Now, Robert Rich is the guy *I've* never heard of! :)

Crime Of The Century is my sanctuary.  Don't bother me when I play that album.

Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
teenkertoy 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 10:22 PM / IP Logged  
Less riff raff, more building! I hope you finish soon so you can let us know if you like it or not. I have a build for myself that is waiting on your results!
And Supertramp is not bad at all by the way.
-Justin
Malcom: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Jayne: "We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode.
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: May 15, 2008 at 11:04 PM / IP Logged  
stevdart wrote:
Crime Of The Century is my sanctuary.  Don't bother me when I play that album.
Strange you should mention THAT album, as that was the one I was listening to! (The very rare MFSL version... HIGHLY recommended! Some say there isn't any difference, but believe me, there is! Last one saw on eBay, I think it was $100.00 Setting Up Front Imaging - Page 10 -- posted image. )
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 1:14 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
That's the same amp compliment I am using... Very sweet sounding stuff. A single 1.1000 and a pair of 4.150's, one bridged to the mid-bass. You might consider a 1.1000, a 2.150, and a 4.100. STILL a ton of power, and you'll be able to save a few bennies, too. 1700 watts RMS... Geez. Setting Up Front Imaging - Page 10 -- posted image. I thought *I* was the only insane man round about these parts! (With a proper nod in the direction of Mr. SPL himself, of course...)
As far as the present PFM, it's "potted". The resistors are inside, and the case is filled with plastic.

I wont lie, I have seen where you have stood up for the PDX amp's, so that's been a major factor into the choice, but I've also read many others comments about the amps, and I think they would satisfy me.

since I was 14 (now a whopping 22) I've made just a ton of noise and tried to run as much power as possible and still never really acomplished anything with it. I'm a musician (been playing guitar and bass since I was 9) and it just occured to me one day "if you like music so much, why the hell cant you understand what youre listening too???" and that's where my love of having power to spare and my want of an SQ vehicle came along. I just want clean power now and realize that you get what you pay for...

I had never heard of Robert Rich before either, I just ran across his name and heard some very good nature sounds mixed with electronics (i do enjoy a good dj.) I had heard of supertramp but never gotten to listen to them, so I looked them up. IM HOOKED! I heard so much zeppelin in the song school, but then the other songs just took me on a loop! The last band I played with we covered most of the thriller album, talking heads, rick james, any zeppelin, and a bunch of other stuff, and I can't believe I've never heard Supertramp before.

As far as the potted PFM, do I change that or leave it...I'm a bit confused on that subject.

Thanks,

Adam

teenkertoy 
Copper - Posts: 112
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 2:26 AM / IP Logged  
Well more seriously now, I really enjoy reading your progress here. So keep up the good work! I look forward to what comes next.
And thanks for mentioning MFSL, I've been looking for something like that for a while now. It's difficult to find productions with decent dynamic range : /
-Justin
Malcom: "This is the captain. We have a...little problem with our engine sequence, so we may experience some slight turbulence and then...explode."
Jayne: "We're gonna explode? I don't wanna explode.
haemphyst 
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 8:09 AM / IP Logged  
I'd say build a new PFM. 90Hz is just too high. Really, since this is going to determine how low your doors go, I'd like to see a lower frequency.
I was about 25 when I "reformed", so you're well ahead of my curve! Setting Up Front Imaging - Page 10 -- posted image.. I was a true bass-head, and I wanted it as LOUD as I could stand... I wanted to shake the rafters of the install bay where I worked. (And I did, BTW...) I was the first guy I ever knew with eight 8's. The same Civic that eventually had two Infinity 12's in TL... (I was the first guy I ever knew with a TL in his car, too... See a pattern here? Setting Up Front Imaging - Page 10 -- posted image. ) I ran an Orion Red 50, bridged... Radio Shack 8's. Yes, 'Shack... Those things would flat GET IT! Actually a really nice woofer, sourced from KSC, the same manufacturer my 18" TLs still use. I have no idea of the availabilty of the drivers anymore, but for the money, AND the time, they were decent drivers. I wanna say I paid 20 bucks each...?
Huh... a new 'Tramp 'vert, eh? I highly recommend "Some Things Never Change", but later. "Crime", and "Quietest Moments" are my favorites, alongside that one, and I think you should CERTAINLY have those to listen to. Both are fantastic recordings, especially for their day, and go with me, pretty much, wherever I go. While the whole catalog is FANTASTIC, I (as big a fan as I am...) don't think they are a really good "live" band, but I'm not really a fan of anything live. Super classic rock, and "must haves"!
I just looked on eBay again... Holy gold pressings, Batman! As much as 700 dollars for a sealed "Crime". I saw 400 for OPENED ones!
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 10:06 AM / IP Logged  

teenkertoy wrote:
Well more seriously now, I really enjoy reading your progress here. So keep up the good work! I look forward to what comes next.
And thanks for mentioning MFSL, I've been looking for something like that for a while now. It's difficult to find productions with decent dynamic range : /
-Justin

Thanks, it's been a huge learning experience for me in two different fields. Not only is this my first SQ build, But it's also my first REAL fiberglass project (I've worked with the materials several different times doing very small scale things, but nothing to this size.) I'm ready to get them installed and hear everything come to life!

tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 16, 2008 at 10:12 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
I'd say build a new PFM. 90Hz is just too high. Really, since this is going to determine how low your doors go, I'd like to see a lower frequency.
I just looked on eBay again... Holy gold pressings, Batman! As much as 700 dollars for a sealed "Crime". I saw 400 for OPENED ones!

I will build new ones then. I thing it will be simple enough. I just have to order the parts now.

Not related to Supertramp, but I saw a sealed Mystery Science Theater 3000 "The Movie"  (if your into that kinda stuff) on ebay for $200 one time.... I spent $60 on the opened one that had the movie store sticker ripped off the box lol! What can I say, I'm addicted to cheesy films being ripped on!

Page of 11

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic