icon

Setting Up Front Imaging

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 16, 2008 at 6:42 PM / IP Logged  

speakers should be in tuesday... i'm excited to see where this is going.... Would you care to explain to me why you recomended those exact speakers? I was suprised to see that the silver flute speaker had a wool cone. I've only seen the typical aluminum, pressed paper, and kevlar style cones.

Anyways, I'll let you know when they come in. I don't want to jump the gun on anything.

Thanks,

Adam

...don't crush the weasel...
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2008 at 11:02 AM / IP Logged  
oh ya, I forgot to mention I also had a Kenwood exellon 401M.... 600 @ 2ohm.....
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2008 at 12:29 PM / IP Logged  
tubbs04 wrote:
Would you care to explain to me why you recomended those exact speakers?
I specifically recommended those due to the fact that I have actually had experience with some of them, and the VALUE is very good. FANTASTIC performers for the money you will spend on them!
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 17, 2008 at 3:43 PM / IP Logged  

Ya, I liked those prices.... Made me wish I had just gone that way from the begining.. .but oh well... You learn over time..

I had to get a new starter for my truck... but I plan on ordering the daytons on the 30th.

have a good one!

tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 18, 2008 at 1:47 PM / IP Logged  
speakers are in. where too now captain?
haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 1:15 AM / IP Logged  
OK... Lemme know what you want in the way of install locations. Ideally, you will want a straight line with the woofer at one end, and your ear at the other, with mid/tweeter array between.
:::::EDIT:::::
Doh. I should read a little more... you said they were in...
Anyway, what did you do as far as wiring? Did you leave plenty?
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 20, 2008 at 9:45 PM / IP Logged  

I don't exactly understand " woofer at one end, and your ear at the other, with mid/tweeter array between."

I'm building some door pods. I was hoping to mount the vifa half way up the panel  in front of the stock tweeter location, with the silver flute under that, and the tang-band under that. Do I need to run them sealed, ported, IB, or some funky other enclosure that I don't know about yet???

The only wiring I have in my truck is the factory wiring. It hasn't been cut or hacked away. I have a single strand of 4 ga to the sub amp and a single strand of 8 ga to the 4ch. I have 20" of 9 con (18 ga.) that Im just dieing to run through the truck. If running individual strands of thicker wire would be better I can do that as well (I have Tsunami stuff avalible). I've also got a new kicker 0 ga (is that over kill for this project?) kit that I want to run through my truck. I AM FULLY PREPAIRED TO PULL THE INTERIOR!!!

The car audio buyer for my company came by today and I had the speakers sitting in my office. He took one look and said, "man, you're trying to do something right!" I told him you were helping me with the process, and he was impressed. He's also building a SQ truck, that I'd love to run against in may at our 1st USACi show of the year. He's doing up an chevy avalanch with some wave guides and lord knows what else... his bugette is WAY bigger than mine (plus he's been in the business and installing for the past 25yrs)..... hahahaha!

http://www.fiberglassforums.com/showthread.php?t=5476

Thats the link to where I've got the start of the pods posted. I plan on posting the build here once it's finished. Thanks dave!

haemphyst 
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 1:46 AM / IP Logged  
Those pods look like a sweet start!
The drivers will all be in basic open-back installation... IF you can get the mid sealed away from the door cavity, that'd be best... The description of what you have in mind for the mid install works perfectly, I think... So, ideally, you'll have TangBang in IB, SilverFlute in a small sealed cavity, with a bit of stuffing, and the tweeter will be a sealed back (won't really matter, tho... it's already sealed from the back) The most important spacing here is the mid/tweeter... They NEED to be as close together as is practical, and the mid's edge should be (ideally) no further from the woofer's edge than 5 or 6 inches. (And I am talking about the CONE, not the basket...) Closer is better!
Also, if you can "tip" the mid and tweeter, say 10 to 15 degrees, especially on the driver's side, to point a little bit more toward your ears, ("toward the dome light", as you said early on) that'll GREATLY help your sound power.
Here is what I was talking about with the "array"...
Setting Up Front Imaging - Page 4 -- posted image.
Now... refresh my memory as to what signal processing you have, please? I mean everything in the deck, any external procesors, and whatever crossovers are available in the amps...
IIRC, we will be active at the sub to TB, active with the TB to SF, and passive low-pass on the SF, and passive high pass on the Vifa... Do I, in fact, remember corretly? These will also have 6 discrete channels of amplification, as well... Right? If so, then wou will be running 3 pairs of speaker wire to each door. (Leave plenty of extra for the mid and tweeter, so we can insert the passive crossovers right there at the driver - this will prevent any cable interaction from affecting the driver and crossover response) Anything over 18 gauge will be plenty, but bigger looks cooler, I think... Judges like the bling, too! Setting Up Front Imaging - Page 4 -- posted image.
And if you wanna brag on my system to him, let him know I am IASCA SQ registered, too, and as soon as I can GET to a meet, I'll do so! (I do have to do a bit of re-tuning, tho... something doesn't sound "quite right" lately...)   Gah... wave-guides... blech! Never been a fan! I personally don't believe there is adequate space in the automotive environment to effectively apply horns. (Don't tell him I said that! Setting Up Front Imaging - Page 4 -- posted image. )
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 21, 2008 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  

alright man, took me a little research but I've got what you asked for...

HU - Eclipse CD8443

* 13 band graphic eq
 * 10 band parametric w/ normal and pro mode
 * Time alignment w/ normal and pro mode
 * Cross over w/ normal and pro mode
 * Non-Fader phase w/ normal and pro mode

AMPS

Eclipse EA3422 4ch

* HP
 * LP (50hz-200hz)
 * Through

Kenwood Excelon KACX401M

https://inform3.kenwoodusa.com/manuals/KACX401M.pdf
 * Infrasonic filter (15/20/25/30hz settings)
 * Band Reject Frequency (40-200hz)
 * LP (50-200 hz)
 * B.M.S. (50-100hz)
 * Sigma Servo Connection

HK1000D

* Subsonic (20-50hz)
 * LP (50-350hz)

HK598 4 ch

* HP
 * FULL
 * LP (40-250hz)

I don't have any external eq's or anything like that.... Just straight cdplayer to amps... should I invest in one?

Ya, I showed him your build and he did compliment it. He did mention that he had to cut the wave guides all the way down to even sit in the truck and he was rebuilding the power supply on a behinger 31 band eq so he could tune them in some more.

When you say a small sealed enclosure are we talking .1-.3 cu ft? I've come up with a way to mount and seal the SF before wrapping the rest of the pod for glass. I can then cut the back to run the TB IB...

It's time to start building again!!!

tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: March 24, 2008 at 1:10 PM / IP Logged  

Did a little trimming on the molds today to get them symetrical. I've got a pretty good design in my head for the install. I was thinking the sealed part of the pod for the SF should be around .1cuft... let me know if that's wrong so I can adjust my design.

Thanks dave!

Page of 11

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic