icon

Setting Up Front Imaging

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
boogeyman 
Silver - Posts: 359
Silver spacespace
Posted: April 11, 2008 at 6:33 PM / IP Logged  

ive followed the posts,and for less than 50 bucks the tang bands really impress me with i think 13mm of excursion in a 6.5. i think im going to get some now also..correct me if im wrong is a .707 qtc supposed to be the flattest response you can get and for sq isnt that what you are after just wondering.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 12, 2008 at 9:21 AM / IP Logged  
Yepper... I love those Tang-Bands! If you can get 'em into a door (They're REALLY deep) they are a super driver for the money. I DIDN'T say they were the best thing going out there, but I did specify "for the money"... <grin>
.5 is "transient perfect"
.707 is "max flat"
1.1 is "max power"
A Q.5 will tend to sound "lean" to many people, but to me, I simply LOVE the ver slow roll-off provided, and I recommended this alignment for him, as we will be actively crossing his system over, and he will be able to adjust the output of the woofers, specifically, while maintaining extension, and response capabilites. The curves look nice, too! Setting Up Front Imaging - Page 7 -- posted image.
A Q.707 provides for the OVERALL flattest response, at the MINOR expense of transient capability and extension.
A Q1.1 is the "humpy" or occasionally "peaky" sound, providing the least extension, but best overall output, and best power handling - i.e. "you can beat the CRAP out of 'em". Most manufaturers products found in the "Big Box Stores" are aimed toward the 1.1 end of the spectrum, if in a sealed alignment.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
tubbs04 
Copper - Posts: 212
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 13, 2008 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

I took the daytons and stuck them in a prefab suv box so I could hear them. I have to say I'm freakin impressed by 'em and cant wait to get that huge ass enclosure built so they'll really drop! I think they're in a little over 1cuft each right now... I cant even imagine what the 3.3 is going to sound like! I've got them wired on a kenwood amp with about 300 rms to each sub... I'm going to wire in the HK1000D and see where that takes 'em!

...don't crush the weasel...
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2008 at 2:03 PM / IP Logged  

stuck the 1000D on the daytons to see where they'd go... I think Im gonna put the kenwood back on them...

any word on the eq?

Got my new rings routed out... they're flush mounted... now I just got to set them up and get back to 'glassin..

thanks dave!

haemphyst 
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 16, 2008 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  
You have PM...
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
falconyellow 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2008 at 11:35 AM / IP Logged  
What happens to the power handling with that big a box? I like the low frequency response of a large box too, but I've gone too big and over-powered the subs in times past. The good thing about too big is you can always add some Styrofoam or something to make it smaller!
haemphyst 
Posted: April 18, 2008 at 12:34 PM / IP Logged  
According to JBL Speakershop, the power handling is just fine, even with extension like that.
falconyellow 
Member - Posts: 33
Member spacespace
Posted: April 18, 2008 at 7:48 PM / IP Logged  
Sweet,
I'm really stoked to see how this works out!
haemphyst 
Posted: April 21, 2008 at 11:37 AM / IP Logged  
So.... what's the word? Did you get those EQ/crossovers?
tubbs04 
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 26, 2008 at 5:50 PM / IP Logged  

I got the 4xs, but you already knew that! I'm stoked!

I got some progress on the door pods done. I got the tweeter and mid rings mounted and wraped to take care of sealing them. after a couple layers of glass I'll mount the 6.5 ring and wrap the pods again. After everything is cured and ready for paint I'll cut the back for the TB and the rest will stay sealed. I'll post pics on fiberglassforum tonight.

Page of 11

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic