icon

remote start, 1994 mazda rx7

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
katit 
Member - Posts: 37
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 9:17 AM / IP Logged  

First of all, please excuse me for this questions as I beleive it was asked million of times :) But I did search and still want suggestion from pro's

I have 94 Mazda RX7 and I want to install remote start/keyless on this car. I will need trunk pop also. I think I figured all details on installation of actuators and I'm good with theory. No problem getting relays/etc working. I had bulldog remote start installed on my Civic long time ago.

This is my toy car and I do everything myself. Giving it to the pro is not an option because I won't let anybody except me to touch a car (or I have to watch) and I like to do and learn myself. Cars is my hobby. So, time spent will be ejoyable. I also have no problem installing remote start on manual car as I plan on wiring it correctly for neutral switch. I also will wire it for parking brake switch.

Ok. Now to the questions.

1. How come DIY person can't get better quality units? DEI? Or Compustar? I talked by many people and they like DEI. Reading though this forum - people like Compustar PRO. One guy that used to be installer said that Audivx Prestige is not bad cheaper alternative.

2. So far I found 2 systems I can get online and I think suit my needs. a.Audiovox Prestige APS687($65) or b. VIPER 571XV ($65)

Viper seem to be better feature-wise but size of remote worries me. It needs AAA battery! Viper 160xv is "my size" but there is none for sale. I'm looking at that price range (~$50-70) with basically start and keyless. Bigger range helps. I need reliable unit.

What do you think is good choice for me? I want higher end brand for reasonable price with smaller remote.

Thanks in advance

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 10:33 AM / IP Logged  
Compustar, Audiovox, DEI are all quality units. It really depends on the features you want and personal preference. My preference is DEI products but it's probably more because I no longer need to read the manual than anything else. Just to throw something at you, as you are aware I am sure DEI makes many different brands. The 160XV you are talking about is the same exact unit as the Valet 562T and the Avital 4200 with different labels/remote design. The Valet and Avital might be easier to find online than the Viper branded stuff.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
katit 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 10:37 AM / IP Logged  

Good info. I will check those other brands. Remote design is important. I like something OE looking and smaller. Like that Viper I mentioned.

2-way feature seems good to me, but payback is bigger remote if I understand correctly.

Also, is there unit (no alarm) that has remote start and turbo timer?

skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
most systems w/the remote start option can be configured as a turbo timer.... after connecting the remote start portion most times u just have to enable this feature from inside the unit's programming menus....i've seen some people just substitute the valet takeover option instead too.....
there can be only one.......
skee-weezy 
Copper - Posts: 177
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 10:52 AM / IP Logged  
oh yeah.. im amazed no one mentioned code-alarm too... they are pretty easy to install too.... and oh yeah.. for those of u that may have never worked with the two recently.....CODE and AUDIOVOX are now virtually identical on most models... kinda like the viper and python brands for DEI
there can be only one.......
katit 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 10:57 AM / IP Logged  
I don't really need alarm. I have factory alarm and it does fine. I will have to wire too arm/disarm it, but I can do it from door actuator even if system I get do not support it
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 3:02 PM / IP Logged  
stick with DEI, compustar, autopage or even audiovox units (codealarm) they are all very good and reliable. The only thing is, audiovox manuals are hard to read.
dswift 
Copper - Posts: 396
Copper spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 6:16 PM / IP Logged  
Well just keep in mind that the compustar has a built in turbo timer. Just make sure you connect the e.brake wire during the install.
"dont ground out!"
katit 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 6:36 PM / IP Logged  
It's all good about compustar. But they not available to me to buy.
katit 
Member spacespace
Posted: April 03, 2008 at 9:32 PM / IP Logged  

Does Viper 571xv come with 2 different remotes? It shows so on main page but it shows 2 bigger remotes on detail page on website.

If it's got smaller remote included, what is limitation of it? I like look/feel and would get that system if they had smaller remote in box.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic