icon

system without head unit?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
joezero 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 7:02 PM / IP Logged  
I'm getting ready to start a ground up install and was wondering if anyone had done a system without a head unit. My plan is to use an iPod as the main audio source with a PS2 for video, gaming, and if on a rare occasion I only have a track on CD. I'm using an external EQ with multiple inputs, so I'm wondering if I can just run the sources into the EQ then out to the amps. Is there some other function of the head unit that I'm missing? I'm looking at using an iPod adapter like this one: iPod Adapter
What are your thoughts?
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 8:01 PM / IP Logged  
I can't view the ipod adapter, but as long you have audio going to the amps and speakers connected, they you will hear it.
I think I get what your saying. Using the EQ as your audio switch, for the ipod an PS2. The PS2 might even play a music CD, but having a pair of RCAs where you can get to them easily could be nice. Then amplifying anything that used a source for the EQ.
joezero 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 8:40 PM / IP Logged  
system without head unit? -- posted image.
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 05, 2008 at 9:21 PM / IP Logged  
That will probably be a champ. Plug that into the eq along with your PS2, you will probably want to use the accessory wire under the column and add a switch for your remote turn on. Then the rest will be a normal install.
haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2008 at 6:49 AM / IP Logged  
And I might mention to zero that it seems as if you haven't read the forum rules very carefully. eBay links DON'T WORK, and they are filtered to NOT work when you put them in. It's in the rules you read when you signed up!
That being said, if your EQ has multiple inputs and switching capabilities, then there is no reason you can't build a system without a "proper" head unit. An amplifier doesn't care what is sending it a signal.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
the fat kid 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2008 at 8:20 AM / IP Logged  

right but if hes bypassing the head unit all together wont it have crap sound quality, idk i would think so cause its just running off the sound of the perephial. and btw if you decide to get a headunit adn want usb and ipod capabilities, get the ida x001 its beast i got a 250 western digital hard drive on mine and i hear its even better with the ipod. and they may be alot cheaper now....

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2008 at 9:44 AM / IP Logged  
With the exception of lack of tone controls, why would you think that it would be crap sound quality? Simply BECAUSE of the lack of tone controls (stages in the gain chain) and the lack of additional stages in the signal chain, i.e. the head unit itself, the sound quality can only improve.
The x001 is a POS. It is SO limited in it's capabilities that I would personally NEVER recommend it to anybody.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
the fat kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 06, 2008 at 2:53 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
With the exception of lack of tone controls, why would you think that it would be crap sound quality? Simply BECAUSE of the lack of tone controls (stages in the gain chain) and the lack of additional stages in the signal chain, i.e. the head unit itself, the sound quality can only improve.
The x001 is a POS. It is SO limited in it's capabilities that I would personally NEVER recommend it to anybody.

no you dont have any control over the sound at all who knows if its audible at all with no volume controls.

and how do you figure the xoo1 is a pos? i havent run across anything it cant do.

fat_racing 
Member - Posts: 2
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
i hope ur not planning on entering an sq comp because compressed audio sounds like crap and the ipod clips at higher volumes i spent the time and money to hook up mine noew it sits in my glove box with a dead battery
its all about application
the fat kid 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 10:34 AM / IP Logged  

compressed audio does sound like crap, depending on the source i guess, all mine are cd rips so i cant say i notice much distortion or anything, but the ones i have gotten from limewire i cant stand even listening to.

and i didnt know that they had sound QUALITY competitions sounds interesting.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic