icon

system without head unit?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
reax222 
Copper - Posts: 220
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 8:03 PM / IP Logged  
Unless your using a lossless codec, then you will have some compression. MP3 Lame, Ogg Vorbis, and a host of others compress the music to some degree. Codecs like Wav and AAC are low to no loss, but a CD is already limited, 44.1k samples per second, 20-20kHz, ect. So your source needs to be considered if your talking the highest fidelity. Kind of why some people say vinyl is superior to tape or CD.
megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 8:10 PM / IP Logged  

As stated above, the issue has come down to the media.  CD's are burned at 44.1kHz.  Even if you rip them onto your computer at 98kHz or better, the source is still 44.1kHz.  This is why I hated to see HDCD's go and am eagerly awaiting Super-Audio CD's to hit the mobile market.  Granted they are still not the highest fidelity media, but they are better than standard CD's. 

joezero 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 8:16 PM / IP Logged  
fat_racing wrote:
i hope ur not planning on entering an sq comp because compressed audio sounds like crap and the ipod clips at higher volumes i spent the time and money to hook up mine noew it sits in my glove box with a dead battery
Most of my music collection is already in a compressed format from itunes, limewire, etc., so I'm not that worried about the SQ in that respect as it's not something that I can use a better source for. When you say you experienced clipping, was that using the ipod as the volume control/gain source? I'm planning on using the EQ to control the gain as I'd like all the inputs to be volume matched so there is no difference when switching between sources.
the fat kid 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: September 07, 2008 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  

idk man just give it a go, the ipod, i think will work better than the ps2 cause the ipod has another volume control, i just dont see the ps2 getting very loud, then again, ive never heard of what your doing being done.

let us know if it works out.

megaman 
Copper - Posts: 385
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 8:37 AM / IP Logged  

If the EQ has level control, then I'd say go for it.  Set the iPod's volume control no more than 75%.  After that it distorts quite a bit.  Make sure all your sound eq's and processing is off on the iPod.  You'll have to set your levels compared to the PS2 because the line out of the PS2 is fixed.  Basically you've taken the same approach in your vehicle as High-end home audio enthusiasts have done for years by ditching the integrated receiver, and going components.  You're lacking the tuner, but considering the content on todays FM radio, you're not missing much.

haemphyst 
Platinum - Posts: 5,054
Platinum spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Electrical Theory. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 10:50 AM / IP Logged  
the fat kid wrote:
compressed audio does sound like crap, depending on the source i guess, all mine are cd rips so i cant say i notice much distortion or anything, but the ones i have gotten from limewire i cant stand even listening to.
I can't stand listening to ANYTHING compressed. In my system, even at 320K mp3, I can hear the artifacting present in compressed files. No thank you... While I do use an iPod for a major portion of my source material, I do all of my rips as true lossless (Apple m4a), and I use the direct in on my Alpine w205.
the fat kid wrote:
and i didnt know that they had sound QUALITY ompetitions sounds interesting.
You're kidding, right? SQ comps have been around AT LEAST as long as SPL comps. I am an iASCA SQ member.
It all reminds me of something that Molière once said to Guy de Maupassant at a café in Vienna: "That's nice. You should write it down."
joezero 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: September 08, 2008 at 2:18 PM / IP Logged  
megaman wrote:

If the EQ has level control, then I'd say go for it.  Set the iPod's volume control no more than 75%.  After that it distorts quite a bit.  Make sure all your sound eq's and processing is off on the iPod.  You'll have to set your levels compared to the PS2 because the line out of the PS2 is fixed.  Basically you've taken the same approach in your vehicle as High-end home audio enthusiasts have done for years by ditching the integrated receiver, and going components.  You're lacking the tuner, but considering the content on todays FM radio, you're not missing much.

I shaved my antenna years ago, so no radio for me. I agree, not missing much of anything.
As far as the volume settings, should I just set the internal limit at 75%, or is it the actual output volume percentage regardless of what the limit is?
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
I could have sworn the last thing I read about an iPod is that irregardless of the file format or rip file, it will give you back 192K at MAX, which is complete garbage in my book. I can't say I've ever been impressed with the sound from my iPod, more just happy to have msic so portable.
Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
Phreak480 
Copper - Posts: 84
Copper spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 7:58 AM / IP Logged  
Just throwin something out there, in the ipod adapters i've seen that utilize the dock connector, there is a fixed volume level output unlike connecting via the headphone jack where it is user variable. Just some food for thought.
the fat kid 
Member - Posts: 35
Member spacespace
Posted: September 09, 2008 at 5:17 PM / IP Logged  

haemphyst wrote:
the fat kid wrote:
compressed audio does sound like crap, depending on the source i guess, all mine are cd rips so i cant say i notice much distortion or anything, but the ones i have gotten from limewire i cant stand even listening to.
I can't stand listening to ANYTHING compressed. In my system, even at 320K mp3, I can hear the artifacting present in compressed files. No thank you... While I do use an iPod for a major portion of my source material, I do all of my rips as true lossless (Apple m4a), and I use the direct in on my Alpine w205.

i guess my ears arent that good to notice much of my cd rips i have all of them in wma format but idk. thanks to my line of work and my system...

the fat kid wrote:
and i didnt know that they had sound QUALITY ompetitions sounds interesting.
You're kidding, right? SQ comps have been around AT LEAST as long as SPL comps. I am an iASCA SQ member.

no im not kidding, didnt say they werent around just never heard of it, how do they measure sq?

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic