icon

’03 silverado, remote start wiring

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
fazda 
Member - Posts: 15
Member spacespace
Posted: October 15, 2008 at 11:56 PM / IP Logged  

Vehicle: 2003 Chevrolet Silverado 4x4 ls Ext cab.

Okay ive spent all day looking for post for my vehicle, ive seen half related topics and wiring. This is my frist time with security wiring, and Im  needing help installing the icbm-7071 performance teknique remote starter, keyless entry, and alarm. i apologize for all my quesions but i cant find the answers! i basically need directions for this whole install ’03 silverado, remote start wiring -- posted image.

First, the xk01 module i found out is the only one nowadays to buy to bypass everything, and i dont understand where to connect the brown - ground while running wire to. It says somewhere to the RCS, but what wire comes from my ibcm-7071 to it? or can i just use the lt green wire by my key as the ground?

2nd, my door lock/unlocks. to my understanding i have the xk01 to bypass it. but i still dont know exactly what wires are needed, theres the tan and grey wire in my door i know i need to cut, 4 wires are going to each of these, and the other one says a 12v source constant, does that mean any or what? maybe im totally wrong?

3rd. theres a 6 pin connector on my RS with wires needing to go 1.orange (-) 500mA ground-when-armed .  2. blue (-) 200mA passenger unlock (is this a relay? or just to the p/s door module?), 3. whtie/black (-) 200mA programmable auxiliary output. 5. blk/white (-) 200mA dome supervision. (says it has to be relay, true or not?)

And i just need a wire color/location for each if possible. i dont think many people installed these so i think im SOL, but any help would be appreciated. i would have it done professionally but they all turned me down because its not their product so its all up to me. if anyone has an explanation on what needs relayed and a good wiring diagram i might be good to go. thanks, corbin

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 16, 2008 at 12:16 AM / IP Logged  
Is there an install guide for that Performance Teknique remote starter online? If there is, and we could look at it, that would help a lot.
As far as tan and grey wires inside the door, the whole reason you bought the XK01 was so that you wouldn't have to spend all your time and energy fishing wires inside the doors. So you don't need to worry about that.
I have no idea what kinds of outputs and/or wire colors your remote starter has, but:
1. The brown wire from the XK01 needs to receive a ground, anytime the remote starter is on. Find an output from the remote starter that makes a ground ALL the time the remote starter is turned on, and connect here.
The purpose of the brown wire is to turn on the XK01, so it'll turn off your truck's Passlock II anti-theft system, allowing the engine to start.
2. The XK01 has green and blue wires, for lock and unlock.
Connect the lock output from your remote starter, to the green lock input on the XK01. This will lock the doors.
Connect your remote starter's unlock output, AND the blue 200ma passenger unlock output you mentioned, to the XK01's blue unlock input.
The first time the XK01 receives a ground on the blue wire, it'll unlock the driver's door only. The second time it gets a ground, it'll unlock all the other doors.
3. About your other outputs you mentioned there. Don't worry about connecting those, especially if you're new at this.
For a better description:
ground-when-armed output: This makes a ground whenever the Performance Teknique unit is armed, so you can hook up a starter kill relay. But your truck's Passlock II system already makes it hard to steal.
Dome supervision output: This is to turn on the domelight when you unlock the doors. The XK01 already does this for you.
Programmable auxiliary output: I'm guessing this is a trunk release output. It could pop open the trunk on a sedan, but you don't have to worry about that on your pickup. You could use it for all kinds of cool stuff in the future, but it's not necessary for now.
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 16, 2008 at 4:17 PM / IP Logged  
fazda, as far as your other post and this one here's a couple thoughts to ponder.
1. It is obviously a PITA to go into the doors for lock/unlock/disarm wiring. This is why the XK01 was created - it only requires the one wire at the data plug to get the vehicle to do all of that. Hence, you don't need to worry about those wires on the truck.
2. Ditto with Chris Luongo on that 6-pin plug. The only thing maybe useful is the programmable auxiliary out if you can tell us more about what the manual says.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
fazda 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 1:44 PM / IP Logged  
wow guys thanks alot, that makes it 10x easier, now i just need to find another 4 day weekened to do this with lol, i got so fustrated the first time i ripped it all out in like 15 min.. made me cry lol. anyway, the xk01 just makes the whole system work much easier, and i thought the 6 pin was for a bunch of features. but thanks alot you two. helped tons. ill post when i get into it again, thanks.
fazda 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 1:52 PM / IP Logged  

sorry for a 2nd post, but i was wondering if i even hooked up my neutral saftey wire.  on my trucks its supposedly the yellow wire coming from the switch itself, it runs to the my fuse box under the hood. so i had absolutely no room to wire it at the switch, so i chased it through the electrical tubing, and it comes up over the top of the motor to the driver side (under the top plastic cover) and i spliced a tap into the only yellow wire there.. there are 2 other yellow/blk wires but only one yellow.. am i on the correct wire?

and the tach, i put it on one of the coils, not blk brwn or pnk, to any other wire on any other coil though? thanks.

chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 18, 2008 at 3:30 PM / IP Logged  
The neutral safety wire can go directly through the toggle switch to ground.
Absolutely do not hook the wire to the yellow at the switch; that's the starter wire. Connecting the n/s wire to it will cause your remote start to work fine up to the instant it starts to crank, and then shut down.
I have no idea why any manufacturer's wiring database ever lists the (+) starter wire as "neutral safety". Technically I suppose they are correct because the yellow wire will never send current to the starter unless the vehicle is in park or neutral; but it's completely irrelevant to any "neutral safety" wire on the remote start.
The whole purpose of the neutral safety wire has to do with certain older vehicles which had no electrical interruption of the starter wire when the vehicle wasn't in park or neutral; I've described this in other posts.
fazda 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 4:02 PM / IP Logged  

thanks chris, i tried lookin for your other posts but it gives me 6 pages to look through haha, im sorry i dont quite understand.. you said through the toggle switch to ground, but what toggle? are you saying add a toggle switch from my rs and run it to any grounding source?

and now into the alarm 8pin on the RS, GREEN/ blk wire from my 7071 says to disarm output, wiring diagrams tell me the lt green wire in my drivers door module..  and then it has a bunch of sensors i believe to hook up to. is it needed? i guess only if i want it to trigger with it.. but the oiul sensor wire? and brake input is easy.. white wire on the pedal.. and ignition input of the key cylinder, is the the key sense lt green wire?

sorry for so many questions but thanks alot in advance, Corbin

Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 7:52 PM / IP Logged  
Tach: Don't waste all that time running the wire under the hood. Four screws and the instrument cluster comes out, with plenty of slack on the wire. Tach is the only white wire in the harness.
Brake: Getting to the brake pedal is a pain. Inside the driver's fuse box, put your hand in there and reach upward. Find the harness going up, wrapped in foam tape. Brake is light blue in there.
Neutral safety: The spot in the steering column where you connected to the yellow wire, you're already on the "safe" side of the neutral safety switch.
Like Chris said, just connect your remote starter's neutral safety wire to one side of your control toggle switch, and connect the otehr side of the toggle switch to straight ground.
If you'd like to reassure yourself, after the installation is done, try to remote start the truck while it's in drive or reverse. You'll see that it won't crank.
Factory alarm disarm: Are you using the XK01? You'll be connecting the XK01's brown wire, to a ground-when-running from the remote starter. That'll automatically disarm the truck's alarm (through the data wire), so there's no need to hook up to that green wire inside the door.
fazda 
Member spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 8:49 PM / IP Logged  

im sorry but its still confusing, your saying control toggle switch.. um, so i need to buy any type of toggle switch and ground one end, then connect the other end to my n/s wire.. and turn the switch on at all times? and that will be ok? im not understanding why the toggle needs to be there.  judging from that wouldnt that mean just ground it constantly? explain "control toggle switch" i guess.

i understand now about how the xk01 is doin all of it through the data wire but im not totally sure about what wire would be gwrunning from my performance teknique. only wire i found relevant is on the remote start 7pin (-) 200ma bypass output when remote start, which i think thats what it means, a ground when remote start is on so i think im good on that.. but some reasurance would be good to make sure thats not going to be a problem.

chriswallace187 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 9:57 PM / IP Logged  
As far as the toggle switch, forget about it. I incorrectly assumed your r/s was supplied with one. It's only necessary if you'd like to be able to disable the remote start at times.
You're correct on the wire you're mentioning for a GWR.
Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic