icon

2008 Ford F-350, Omega RS-4LX Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
howie ll 
Pot Metal - Posts: 16,466
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 5:55 PM / IP Logged  
Before you try a new topic, consider this. You've installed a unit in your vehicle and it doesn't work. You've taken a working unit from another vehicle that's either the same or similar. You've installed it in your vehicle and it like the original doesn't work. You've now transferred it back and it now doesn't work in the original vehicle. Actually you should have installed yours in her's first to confirm unit's status but do I have to spell out what you've discovered.... OK here goes. You've made an error that appears to have caused the ignition relay to work back to front. Now you've "cooked" both units take a breather and check your wiring. We can assume the new unit wasn't faulty to start with, something you did made it that way because it's done the same to the unit in your wife's vehicle.
boulderbronco 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 6:03 PM / IP Logged  
Hold on.  You misread.  I said, "I unplugged her unit, and plugged mine into her truck."  So I didn't install hers in my truck.  Like you said that would not have been smart.  So I did exactly what you suggested.  But again when I plugged her unit back in her truck it did not work.   But when I hit the brake pedal nothing happened.  It wasn't until I reset her unit that it started doing what mine does with the brake pedal.  So my thinking is that it has something to do with resetting the unit.  Now everytime you hit her brake it activates the ign. just like mine.  Get it?
i am an idiot 
Platinum - Posts: 13,667
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 6:37 PM / IP Logged  
You need to check for blown fuses in her vehicle.  Fuses in the vehicle and supplying the remote start unit.  I find it hard to believe that your unit could have messed up anything other than  blowing a fuse  while trying it in her vehicle.
boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  

i am an idiot wrote:
You need to check for blown fuses in her vehicle.  Fuses in the vehicle and supplying the remote start unit.  I find it hard to believe that your unit could have messed up anything other than  blowing a fuse  while trying it in her vehicle.

I agree it's very weird.  But I have tested all the inputs to the RS to be sure they are doing what they are suposed to.  They are.  The only two wires giving me trouble are the two safety feature wires.  Meaning the brake pedal and the hood pin.  I don't really see how a fuse could be the culprit if all the wires are testing as they should.  But I  went out and checked all the fuses in her truck, they are good.  I'm at a loss. 

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 6:54 PM / IP Logged  
OK sorry I'm at a loss to think of anything to explain this without knowing the product.  To reiterate, have you checked everything with the DMM against a wiring diagramme?
boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 6:58 PM / IP Logged  

howie ll wrote:
OK sorry I'm at a loss to think of anything to explain this without knowing the product.  To reiterate, have you checked everything with the DMM against a wiring diagramme?

Yup.  I forgot to affirm that when you asked before.  The brake shows 12v+ when it's hit and the hood pin shows ground when the hood is open but not when it's closed.  I'm at a loss too.  I am going to give Omega a call in the morning.  See what they can tell me.

ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 19, 2008 at 11:21 PM / IP Logged  

dude, dude, dude.........howie ll, i am an idiot, why do you keep confusing this poor guy even more? boulderbronco, i told you..... those damn omega RS-4LX units do this all the dang time. i've installed several hundred with OEM keyless systems, which im sure is what your trying to do right boulderbronco?? they will 6 out of 10 times pull this s&!t and its not the unit! it not the install! its the order it is programed for the neutral safety. if its not done in the order it wants it to be done it takes the 12v input and turns on the ignition when you press the brake, or ground the hood pin wire to let you know that ist not programed. i've had them do this so many times and me getting sick of it that i quit installing them. i actually didnt know they even made it anymore. if you call omega and give them your exact vehicle, they will walk you through the exact programming procedure and you'll be in business.

howie ll 
Pot Metal spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 4:37 AM / IP Logged  
Quite right you're the one with the experience, the only ones I came across here were Lightenings and we were fitting Sat Navs.
boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 9:01 AM / IP Logged  
ckeeler wrote:

dude, dude, dude.........howie ll, i am an idiot, why do you keep confusing this poor guy even more? boulderbronco, i told you..... those damn omega RS-4LX units do this all the dang time. i've installed several hundred with OEM keyless systems, which im sure is what your trying to do right boulderbronco?? they will 6 out of 10 times pull this s&!t and its not the unit! it not the install! its the order it is programed for the neutral safety. if its not done in the order it wants it to be done it takes the 12v input and turns on the ignition when you press the brake, or ground the hood pin wire to let you know that ist not programed. i've had them do this so many times and me getting sick of it that i quit installing them. i actually didnt know they even made it anymore. if you call omega and give them your exact vehicle, they will walk you through the exact programming procedure and you'll be in business.

That make complete sense.  I tried to reprogram like you said before but it just would not work.  I figured it had something to do with that I just couldn't figure it out.  That internal switch confuses me too.  Knowhere does it say what it is for or what it does but I know it has something to do with the neutral saftety system.  Thanks again CK.  I will be calling Omega shortly.

boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 20, 2008 at 11:21 AM / IP Logged  

Well you were right CK.  There is a certain routine that needs to be followed to make the "DataLearn" procedure work.  The guy said it's just a weird quirk on these things and it's not in the manual.  They just know it from trial and error.  You are suposed to put your foot on the brake, turn the key to the "on" position (not start), shift the gear shifter from "P" through the gears and then back to "P", turn the key off, take my foot off the brake, and toggle the switch off then on.  Well obviously that does not work in my situation.  I had to put my foot on the brake, turn the key on and START it, turn the key off, take my foot off the brake, and toggle the switch off then on.  It took the programming and started right up.  Weird.  Anyway hope this can help someone in the future with the RS-4LX.  They really are great units once they are installed.  Thanks everyone for the help.  Now I just need to figure out the diesel delay.

Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic