icon

2008 Ford F-350, Omega RS-4LX Remote Start

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Hornshockey 
Silver - Posts: 520
Silver spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 12:55 PM / IP Logged  

Have you checked that brown wire for continuity to ground rather than voltage while running through that cycle?  As long as your DMM has a continuity testing function, just connect one probe to the ground wire and one to the brown ouput wire. 

I say that because the way the instructions describe it, the relay inside the unit simply opens the circuit on the brown wire.  Thus, you'll read ~0 volts when open and about the same with it closed to ground. 

Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while; you could miss it.
ckeeler 
Gold - Posts: 1,461
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 1:01 PM / IP Logged  
When activated, the brown is going to have a ground on it.
boulderbronco 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 28, 2008 at 8:21 PM / IP Logged  
Doh!  Thats it.  Thanks.  Works great.
boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 1:23 PM / IP Logged  

I am installing an RS-4LX Remote Start.  Had it all good to go last night before I went to bed.  Worked great.  All I needed to do this moring was hook up the accessory wire and the 528T for the diesel delay, which I also had working fine yesterday but disconnected it because I was "bench" testing it before I actually installed it.  Anyway it was starting with both the key and the RS last night.  This morning the first thing I did was tap into the accesory wire with the feed from the RS.  Did that and tried remote starting and it would not start.  It fired up the ignition but it wouldn't start it.  Tried it by key and it still wouldn't start.  Uh oh.  What did I do?  Now I have the RS completly disconnected as well as my keyless module for good measure and the truck still will not start!  I need help.  The ignition turns on as usual as does the radio and HVAC but it will not crank.  I have checked my fuses and they are good.  Starter relay?  Please help.  I have to at least get it to turn on via the key.

Thanks

Chris

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 2:40 PM / IP Logged  
when you say "it wont start", does that mean the starter wont even crank over, or, the engine wont stay running?
boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 2:46 PM / IP Logged  

ckeeler wrote:
when you say "it wont start", does that mean the starter wont even crank over, or, the engine wont stay running?

Won't crank.  Not even a click like you would get with a bad solenoid or low voltage.  I get 12v+ in the starter wire while starting, and I can here the relay in the passenger compartment fuse panel, but after that I don't know where the starter wire goes.  I have checked the fuses in the engine compartment.  I have also replaced the starter relay in the passenger compartment with what I thought was a good relay but still nothing.  I have to get this running.

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 2:56 PM / IP Logged  
go straight to the starter solonoid in the engine compartment. it looks just like the glow plug relay on the outside but will be on the firewall somewhere from the middle to the passenger side, or on the passenger side inner fender. jump the 2 large terminals with a heavy fuse holder and 30 amp fuse. if it starts, check that you are getting the 12v from inside in the ignition harness to actvate the solonoid. if you are......bad solonoid.
boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 3:08 PM / IP Logged  

ckeeler wrote:
go straight to the starter solonoid in the engine compartment. it looks just like the glow plug relay on the outside but will be on the firewall somewhere from the middle to the passenger side, or on the passenger side inner fender. jump the 2 large terminals with a heavy fuse holder and 30 amp fuse. if it starts, check that you are getting the 12v from inside in the ignition harness to actvate the solonoid. if you are......bad solonoid.

Your dreaming.  This is an 08 6.4L diesel remember.  The engine compartment is packed tighter than anything.  I can't even barely see the fire wall nevermind find the solenoid.   I'll keep looking.

ckeeler 
Gold spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 3:11 PM / IP Logged  
so what will you do when you have to change the solonoid because its bad? just say "nevermind"?
boulderbronco 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 29, 2008 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

ckeeler wrote:
so what will you do when you have to change the solonoid because its bad? just say "nevermind"?

Your absolutly right.  But I don't want to go taking stuff apart until I can determine where it is.  I just took off the air filter housing and still don't see it.  Does it not look like a conventional solenoid?

Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic