the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

viper 5704 / starting issues

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2012 at 5:57 AM / IP Logged  
Yes, I would pull everything out and get the vehicle starting with the key normally before putting anything back in. It also sounds like the switch to me. Also, did you check every fuse (inside the cabin and under the hood)? And how did you check the fuses?
Also, look through the dash for any loose or unconnected wires (including ground wires). And check the battery terminals for any corrosion or loose connections.
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
2therock 
Copper - Posts: 67
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2012 at 12:06 PM / IP Logged  
I use a Fluke 27 multi meter and I pull the fuses and check for resistance and continuity. No blown fuses.
2therock 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2012 at 12:17 PM / IP Logged  
OK, I guess I have ran out of patience on this thing.
To get an idea, if I came to your shop and told you the full story and asked what would the worst case price scenario be for checking it out and possibly yanking, testing, and re-doing it be?
What am I looking at ball park?
2therock 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 22, 2012 at 6:40 PM / IP Logged  
Don't shut down on me guys. She is in the shop. The installer said he would show mercy and call me with a price after a preliminary examination. She is spending the night there.
He did not ask me who did it and I did not offer. I really believe they made a mistake but if not and its on me I will post it back here. Either way I feel a couple c-notes getting loose in my wallet. Argh!
vinchinzo 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2012 at 12:30 PM / IP Logged  
get rid of the key in the box you have two keys get a a different module.
When in doubt....kick it!
vinchinzo 
Copper - Posts: 66
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2012 at 12:31 PM / IP Logged  
Its better security wise anyway It wont disable your factory security
When in doubt....kick it!
2therock 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2012 at 5:09 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Guys for all of you're input.
I picked it up from the shop I had go behind the original installer today and its working perfectly now. I asked the tech who did the job for a description and he said after some preliminary looking he knew he had to pull it all out and bench test it all before doing a reinstall.
If I had let them know I wanted a full explanation they would have written it all down. He said as he traced it all out it was one thing after another but he remembered specifically the 2nd starter wire was terminated wrong. And they did not use the brains 2nd starter output for the relay. And a circuit that contained a resistor was terminated incorrectly.
He also said where he would have went directly to the battery they went through an under powered or smaller than desired circuit.
He also noted the install was less than neat as it could have been.
I noticed an addition of a heavy-ish loomed wire with a large fuse and holder at my battery now.
All systems are go. I'm going to recover wallet wise and get my audio system upgraded there soon.
Thanks Again
The shop in question was a DEI "Preferred" vendor in their "Where To Buy" list in Marietta GA.
soundnsecurity 
Gold - Posts: 2,711
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2012 at 8:37 PM / IP Logged  
cool beans. i guess i dont understand why one would pull out an alarm and bench test it when you could just test it in the car with a meter but i guess to each his own...
2therock 
Copper spacespace
Posted: October 23, 2012 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks,
He bench tested the components for defects and/or damage and such. He was hoping for a easy fix and did all he could do before hand and made the correct call as far as I'm concerned. I have some peace of mind now.
There was such a mess under there he wanted to just get it all out of there to make sure nothing else was wrong under there other than the system install.
Then before going through all the trouble of the reinstall he wanted to bench test it all. I think it was a be safer than sorry move.
In looking under the dash the before and after is amazing. Now its obvious someone took the time to do a clean as possible job.
I am glad he yanked it all out. It takes all the doubt of how things were terminated out of the issue and no wondering about what else is lingering under there. The 2nd installer now knows its his work all the way.
You guys were great!    
offroadzj 
Gold - Posts: 2,043
Gold spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: October 24, 2012 at 8:57 AM / IP Logged  
It still doesn't make sense why it wasn't starting with the key... unless the data wire was never reconnected after you pulled out the bypass...
Kenny
Owner / Technician
KKD Garage LLC
Albany, NY 12205
Page of 8

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic