< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Chromic-Chris 
Member - Posts: 32
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 12:45 PM / IP Logged  

Some hints:

Red "Theft" light on dash (briefly after start) = Passlock I

Yellow "Theft" light on dash (briefly after start) = Passlock II

"PK3" written on Key = transponder system (likely for 2003+)

Vats = resistor on key shank.

Chromic-Chris 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 12:46 PM / IP Logged  

Some hints:

Red "Theft" light on dash (briefly after start) = Passlock I

Yellow "Theft" light on dash (briefly after start) = Passlock II

"PK3" written on Key = transponder system (likely for 2003+)

Vats = visible resistor on key shank.

Chromic-Chris 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 12:49 PM / IP Logged  

Some hints:

Red "THEFT" light on dash (briefly after start) = Passlock I

Yellow "THEFT" light on dash (briefly after start) = Passlock II

"PK3" written on key = Transponder (likely 2003+ only)

VATS = Visible resistor on key shank

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 1:20 PM / IP Logged  
we get the idea
Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Teken 
Gold - Posts: 1,492
Gold spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 4:36 PM / IP Logged  
LOL, the system was updating when he replied.
Regards
EVIL Teken . . .
Xeroextremities 
Member - Posts: 8
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 5:30 PM / IP Logged  
I've looked for many charts about security systems, but none of them list pontiac grand prix from 97-99 at all which makes this whole thing all the more frustating. They always list from 2000-2004, or 1992-1996. That was until I found this chart at crimestoppers, http://www.logjamelectronics.com/logjam/crimmodapp.html I don't know how reliable it is but it's the only one that's listed my year. U can see it lists grand prix 1994-1999 with VATS, so I attempted to use VATS instructions for the #791 bypass module. Needless to say it didn't, I even tried the Transponder (PK3) setup because according to the wiring diagram I downloaded for my car it said under factory anti-theft "Transponder PK3". This method did not work either. And none of the keys have a chip or say PK3 on them at all. So I have given up on trying to do this myself. Their is a major lack of knowledge with this make, model and year of car. I think i'm going to have to pay someone to look at it and hook up the right bypass module professionally.
Chromic-Chris 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 14, 2004 at 9:51 PM / IP Logged  

Well if you're throwing in the towel, then you owe us 5 cents each for the swell advice (I get 15 cents for posting my reply three times)

Actually the right way is to just take apart the ignition switch. Look for a couple of thin guage wires. They should be (white w/BLK trace) or (Violet w/YLW trace). Some were Both YLW or Both WHT. The givaway though I think is the small gauge.

The 555U (Universal) might work best for this situation since using a spare key assures you it will work, regardless of the system.

Just get a spare key from Mr. Dealer, (test it first!) and hook it in.

kgerry 
Platinum - Posts: 3,455
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 10:42 AM / IP Logged  

i have checked all my sources and they tell me that vehicle doesnt have any factory anti-theft for that model year....

it does have a factory alarm, but no anti-theft to worry about.....

Kevin Gerry
Certified Electronics Technician
MECP First Class Installer
Owner/Installer
Classic Car Audio
since 1979
Xeroextremities 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 15, 2004 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks for checking, I have no sources, other than this fine forum. I know it has Remote Keyless Entry W/Factory System of some kind, so it could be alarm as you say. But it needs to be bypassed none the less, cuz it still goes off everytime I try to remotely start it. I just don't know what else to try other than buying another bypass. I just got sick of messing with the whole thing. I'll have to do more searching for bypass modules. Thanks for the replies.
Xeroextremities 
Member spacespace
Posted: September 24, 2004 at 5:58 PM / IP Logged  

Update: I sent an email to DEI tech support asking them what unit of theirs I would need to solve my problem. Tech support confirmed the fact that a 1999 Pontiac Grand Prix does not have any factory immobilizer anti-theft system. Therefore no DEI module was needed. After explaining to him that I have a bulldog remote starter that works without the system being armed, he told me chances are that the remote starter unit wasn't interfaced with the factory keyless entry system, and he sent me a wiring diagram, https://www.the12volt.com/installbay/detail.asp?info=alarm&year=1999&make=Pontiac&model=Grand%20Prix&ID=18793&type=Alarm ,showing which wire was the factory disarm wire. Sure enough the remote starter wasn't connected to it, so I connected the "factory alarm shutdown", RED / black wire, coming from the remote starter into the ORANGE / black, disarm wire, on the Driver's Kick Panel 32 pin harness, pin #5. And that was it! Now I can arm the system and have it remote start without the horn going off. One simple wire that was overlooked by the installer of the unit costed me a lot of time and some money, but I hope this information will help anyone else out there with this same problem. Thank you all for your replies.

Page of 3

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic