icon

Audiobahn Haters!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 9:50 PM / IP Logged  
bumpingjeep.........the cool thing is at least you DO know the difference between good and bad equipment , I mean you know whats what. I would have done the same as you in a financial pinch. Youve heard the saying there's Budwieser and then there's Free. (or whatever brand beer). I admit I have been suprised after installing really cheap systems the quality of sound. Im not talking contest winning sound but pretty good bang for your buck. I just had to join in on the Bahn Bashing as Ive seen them fry out a time or two.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
bumpingjeep 
Copper - Posts: 149
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 9:58 PM / IP Logged  
rushman...while i said i was disagreeing with you it was actually the opposite...but im no good at sarcasm...sorry...ktel...you are also correct...however...anyone who opens a post as _________ haters...and speaks from their opinion alone is fair game to everyone elses opinions...it's not what he has in his car anyway its his friends...thats it im done...clearly we have all struck a nerve here...i'm out...peace
stevdart 
Platinum - Posts: 5,816
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
While I agree with Ketel too on moderating bashing to a respectable level, I also agree with bumpingjeep that the choice of the title invited more comment than the author might have wanted.  The title was a challenge.  Just a poor choice of words for a post that meant just to express surprised pleasure at the sound of the system.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
Rushman 
Silver - Posts: 380
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 07, 2004 at 10:30 PM / IP Logged  
No Harm done Bump.........my bad too. ktel , you are also absolutely correct. We have to start somewhere I guess.
99 F-one fitty
Pioneer Premier H/U
Alpine EQ
Kicker 1200 amp
4 Kicker comp 10s
6 kicker SS65.2 components
spootydlux4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 7:57 PM / IP Logged  

well guys im sorry if i pissed you off, it wasn't my intention. if i could, id change the name of the topic to audiobahn lovers!

blah blah blah blah
stevdart 
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Audio and Video. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 8:02 PM / IP Logged  
heh heh      Of course, you know you wouldn't get any responses if you did that, now don't you    Audiobahn Haters! - Page 3 -- posted image.
Build the box so that it performs well in the worst case scenario and, in return, it will reward you at all times.
spootydlux4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 8:26 PM / IP Logged  
haha thats right stevdart. oh yeah and whats wrong with using the bass boost?
blah blah blah blah
stevdart 
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 8:38 PM / IP Logged  

A couple of things.  The bass boost is a gain, for one.  If you set the amp gain and get it just right with the deck voltage input.....then boost the bass, you have in fact increased the amp gain and you throw everything out of whack.  Generally could lead to clipping and failure of the sub down the line.  Another thing is, to boost the bass at whatever freq curve the amp might have (say 60 Hz), is to say "I have really set up a crappy sounding system, the frequency curve of the sub is missing sound in the 60 Hz range, and I need to boost it up to get the curve right".

In reality, you rarely have a deficiency of sound in the bass boost freq range.  The deficiencies are usually somewhere else, if they are there at all.  The control is there as a throwback to the originally ill-conceived "loud" button on OEM decks and home amplifiers, which boosted lows and highs to compensate for low volume.  It sounded like crap then and still does today. 

The best thing to have is a sub controller in the cabin, as a lot of manufacturers provide now.  Those only attenuate the bass, they don't boost it.

spootydlux4 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 8:54 PM / IP Logged  
ok i gotchya, the subs were brand new and werent broken in yet, so i figured if i left the gain down but put on the bass boost it would provide plenty of bump without damaging them. that way we could go ridin that night. but after that we turned it off and i told him to keep it off for another week, to break them in better. im still kinda new to car audio but ive installed about 5 systems over the past year and they're all goin strong. what do you recommend for breaking in new subs though?
blah blah blah blah
stevdart 
Posted: November 08, 2004 at 9:11 PM / IP Logged  

Don't worry about breaking them in.  If the sub maker required it, they would tell you in the manual.  Just use common sense with a new system, or with any new components of that system.  Start off on the easy side of loud, until such a time that you determine that everything is as it should be.

What you said above---- you erred by not setting gain right from the start.  A critical part of the installation.  Set gain to match input voltage, by meter is best but most people do it by ear.  Try to get it right, and a lot of amps have voltage markings around the gain so you can pinpoint the input a little better (you also have to know what the deck puts out).  You should leave the bass boost off at this time.  Once you have the system up and running, play it for several hours, using different music sources and different types.  Then you can tweak the gain to clean out any distortion that makes its way into the sound.  Then, only if you have determined that it sucks for sound, turn on the bass boost and say to hell with it!  No, j/k, leave the damn thing off.

Page of 6

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic