icon

more pics!

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
doc t 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 06, 2005 at 7:06 PM / IP Logged  

2-5-05 this is what i was talking about...I totalt skiped over the post about the saw dust and resin, I cut some rings out of hard board and used liquid nails to secure it to the box. then mixed up some resin and coated the ring in side and out. once it hardened, we had to let it dry completly over night to let the liquid nails dry.

more pics! - Page 3 -- posted image.

2-6-05 this morning it was dry enough to start the bondo.

2-6-05 here you can see the hard board rings .

2-6-05 sanding!

this week I will be filling the some of the small holes/gaps in the bondo so next weekend we can cover it with the suede and then we wait for the subs. and yes it is a lot of bondo especially were the fleece ends on the sides. Burned up my palm sander, so i had to buy another to keep up the progress and not sand too much by hand. getting really excited to be close to having this one done!

All Bleeding stops.....eventually!
realitycheck 
Silver - Posts: 751
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 8:19 AM / IP Logged  
Really Good idea there doc,  when I read your post about a gap, I thought you just had a little gap, like a 1/2" long or something.  Now I see what youre talking about with that pic of the sub. Good thing you didnt use our idea!  I'm glad you got it fixed though and it looks really good.
Learning the trade one fiberglass creation at a time!
doc t 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 10:26 AM / IP Logged  
     I think the saw dust would have worked and was a great sugestion, I got real worried that the liguid nails wasn't going to dry and i would have to scrape it off and start over...hind sight is 20/20 and i probally should have let it dry before laying on the resin,but all worked out fine....just goes to show that attention to detail is paramount. I will post more detailed pics as we start to cover the box...are there any sugestions on how to cover it with the suede? I plan on starting at the top using 3m spray adhesive (90 can) then streatching over the box finishing and securing with staples to the bottom. using a new paint rolloer or the roller i used to put on my dynamat in my van.
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 10:41 AM / IP Logged  
The only thing I can think of is make sure you spray both the box and the material with glue.
doc t 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 10:58 AM / IP Logged  
my only concern is that the glue will bleed through the cloth.....i gues i won't put it on too thick.
realitycheck 
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 07, 2005 at 11:05 AM / IP Logged  
Yeah is the back on the suede pretty thick?? I carpeted a cover I built for my dad this weekend and I got to much glue on there and it went through of course we were using black fleece to do it with, because it looks identical to the carpet thats in his trunk.  Anyway it went through and I dont know how to fix it.
doc t 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 6:27 PM / IP Logged  
the final post to this thread will be this weekend with the finished box im my sons truck, so I'll have a lot of pictures for you all. got all the sanding done tonight (THANK GOD!!) looks and feels really good (no, i don't have a box fetish.....at least not this kind of box!!) thanks again in advance for all you assistance throughout this endevor, my next project will be a center console for my "Bat mobile" thats what i call my minivan, sounds better than "I drive a mini van" so tune in this sunday for the pics, same bat time, same bat channel. more pics! - Page 3 -- posted image.
HottAccord 
Silver - Posts: 247
Silver spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2005 at 7:23 PM / IP Logged  
Ahh the progress looks really good!
Im a fiberglass whore!!
doc t 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 10:35 AM / IP Logged  

O.K. as promised the grand finally. I nust say that covering it in cloth was a through pain in the ass!

the settings on the camera got changed and i did not relize it till it was too late.

2-12-05 we started with the top and worked our way around the box from top to bottom

2-12-05 it finished up pretty good the sides have a tiny area that the sued did not stretch to cover. the flat areas and curves covered really well and come out perfect.

2-12-05 once we got the sued cut and glued to the inside of the rings, we mounted the subs!!!

2-12-05 wired them in series and parallel and made it look good.

2-12-05 then in they went.

2-12-05 he's sooooo happy.

it's loud as crap, does anybody know where i can get auto glass real cheap! this thing moves mucho air.

as a weekend project it took us about 4 weekends and was well worth it!

to all who helped with advice and answers to our questions........THANK YOU ALL SOOOOOOOO MUCH.

will keep you all updated with future projects that we take on.

thanks again

T

doc t 
Copper spacespace
Posted: February 13, 2005 at 10:38 AM / IP Logged  

WHOOO! here are the two that did not show too well

more pics! - Page 3 -- posted image.more pics! - Page 3 -- posted image.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic