Starter Killer, How Safe it is?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
megatfauzi76 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 10:20 PM / IP Logged  

Hai..

How safe our car if got starter killer? Any recommandation...Where to put the starter killer? Also which part of the starter wire the best to cut so that..thives cant find it?

jayno20 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 10:44 PM / IP Logged  
im wondering this too, i have doubts on the starter kill and some say its fine others say there's problems...
ferretvw 
Copper - Posts: 188
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 11:00 PM / IP Logged  
Since the starter only allows the car to start it is the safest circuit to kill IMO, if the starter were to fail while driving the driver wouldn't notice until they went to try and start the car again. however if you kill say the ignition or the fuel pump and the car is driving down the road it could end badly. Generally the safest place to interrupt a starter wire is in the ignition harness between the ignition and the fuse box (especially for honda's).
2008 Scion xB
Pioneer AVIC-D3
RF 3Sixty.2 sound processor
Stock speakers (for now ;))
captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 22, 2007 at 11:02 PM / IP Logged  
all depends on the car, if its a new car with immobolizer, it is already safe, and adding a starter kill is just another layer of protection that doesnt hurt.
if its an older car without immobolizier, you will have to disguie your starter kill so that it looks factory. also hide the alarm brain real good. Its all about making your wires look factory so that the theif cannot disable it.
What wire- starter wire
location- ignition harness
Note: You Always Dont Get What You Pay For.
splaudio 
Copper - Posts: 237
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 5:14 PM / IP Logged  
i have put them in but i carry no warrenty when i do this. if the customer wants one i explain i use good quality relays but if it dies or the fuse blows i will not fix for them unless they can get the car to me. this way i cover my back that a customer is 50 miles away and calls me telling me it's my fault there car wont start. some dealers also void ur warrenty if u cut wires...
jayno20 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 7:39 PM / IP Logged  
how often do you have problems with them?
dre187 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 9:20 PM / IP Logged  

At my shop, we never install starter kill unless specifically requested. If the customer's battery in the remote dies while the alarm is armed or he looses the remote, the customer will be stuck somewhere and be calling you complaing they can't start their vehicle. it happens more then you would think too...

duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 23, 2007 at 11:40 PM / IP Logged  
if the customer was shown how to defeat the alarm by using the valet switch, then you might not receive  as many calls :)
iceman7329 
Member - Posts: 23
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 12:36 AM / IP Logged  
duct tape wrote:
if the customer was shown how to defeat the alarm by using the valet switch, then you might not receive  as many calls :)
Yeah, that would work when the relay that supplys power to your starter goes bad or a wire comes off.
duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 7:02 AM / IP Logged  

i was responding to the comment that when the batteries in the remote die, the guy gets calls.   

use prewired sockets and make good connections.   I do not recall ever having to replace a starter kill relay due to failure.  i have replaced one that had a bullet go through it  Starter Killer, How Safe it is? -- posted image.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic