icon

Starter Killer, How Safe it is?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jayno20 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 5:03 PM / IP Logged  
ok how often do the relays go bad? because for me losing the keys etc. isnt ever going to happen. I MIGHT be interested in having starter kill put in, but i dont want things to go wrong especially if it happens often enough.
duct tape 
Copper - Posts: 125
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 5:15 PM / IP Logged  
i have never seen a properly installed SPDT 30 amp relay go bad, ever.   maybe i'm just a lucky guy, but i dont think so Starter Killer, How Safe it is? - Page 2 -- posted image.
tragik 
Copper - Posts: 169
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 5:53 PM / IP Logged  
Relay failure is rare, but I have seen it happen a few times. I try to discourage customers from having me do starter kills, but I will do it if they insist.
Northstart.....or start it your damn self.
dre187 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 6:14 PM / IP Logged  
the average customer walking out of the shop, espeically older people, are not going to remember 75% of all the information you just pumped into their head about their alarm/starter after you installed it, especially if it is a couple months or years down the road. the point im trying to make is, the customer can get stuck somewhere because they forget how to use the valet switch. the shop is not open 24/7 so they cant call whenever they have a problem. relays dont often go bad and that would be the least of your worries. the connections to the relays are important as a loose or weak connection can get you stuck somewhere.
ihkili18 
Copper - Posts: 108
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 7:59 PM / IP Logged  

I was with a friend who had a compustar 2wss-as installed in his acura tsx by  a reputable dealer. As we came to the car and he tried to disarm the alarm and it would not disarm. We tried the one way remote and that would not diarm the system as well. The worst part was that there was a starter kill installed as well and now the alarm was sending the ground keeping the starter kill active with no way to disable it. We had to take a cab home and I came back with him and my tools and reconnected the cut starter wire and he took it back to the shop and they replaced the brain.  So this is another instance in which the starter kill spells trouble.

captainzab 
Silver - Posts: 606
Silver spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 9:19 PM / IP Logged  
ihkili18 wrote:

I was with a friend who had a compustar 2wss-as installed in his acura tsx by a reputable dealer. As we came to the car and he tried to disarm the alarm and it would not disarm. We tried the one way remote and that would not diarm the system as well. The worst part was that there was a starter kill installed as well and now the alarm was sending the ground keeping the starter kill active with no way to disable it. We had to take a cab home and I came back with him and my tools and reconnected the cut starter wire and he took it back to the shop and they replaced the brain. So this is another instance in which the starter kill spells trouble.

all you had to do was remove ground from the brain, or pull the fuse, or unplug the main harness.
it was a normally closed starter kill.
Note: You Always Dont Get What You Pay For.
Custom_Jim 
Copper - Posts: 210
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 9:35 PM / IP Logged  
ihkili18 wrote:

I was with a friend who had a compustar 2wss-as installed in his acura tsx by  a reputable dealer. As we came to the car and he tried to disarm the alarm and it would not disarm. We tried the one way remote and that would not diarm the system as well. The worst part was that there was a starter kill installed as well and now the alarm was sending the ground keeping the starter kill active with no way to disable it. We had to take a cab home and I came back with him and my tools and reconnected the cut starter wire and he took it back to the shop and they replaced the brain.  So this is another instance in which the starter kill spells trouble.

I agree with captainzab and to add most of the better installations should be gone over with both the owner of the car and the installer so that towing is a last resort. Things can fail and if the valet switch does not turn off the system then the fuse should be somewhere that the customer and installer know where it's at. Put the fuse next to other fuses in one of the fuse blocks like under the dash or under the hood and make notes on the receipt as to where a disabling fuse or valet switch might be at. I wouldn't though leave the fuse easily accessible but know where it's at if needed. Now this won't help a whole lot on a used car someone may have bought from somewhere and the new owner is unaware of things but those things happen also.

Out of 25 years of installing I have only had to replace TWO relays and the one was some el-cheapo overseas crap that came from Wolo and JC whitney and the other was that 1/10th of 1% that will be bad or go bad. NEVER have I had a Bosch or Potter/Brumfield relay fail.

There are a bunch of relays on todays cars and while anything can fail it's not that often or hardly at all. NOW if you expect a 30A relay to pass 60A of current for years while underwater then you will be setup for a failure.

Jim    

1968 Chevy II Nova Garage Find 2012
1973 Nova Custom
1974 Spirit of America Nova
1973 Nova Pro-Street
imseth85 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 9:36 PM / IP Logged  
On newer cars I don't think a starter kill relay is neccessary. You basically need a degree in electrical engineering in order to get past the immobilizer, and then there's the steering wheel lock. Does anyone really think a person who got that far is going to let a starter kill relay stop them? The only time an SKR is useful in that case is when someone gets the keys to the car, and not the keypad (and a good theif can use the valet switch).
P.S. If you have a degree in electrical engineering, you don't need to resort to stealing cars
Seth Alvo     NY
Mobile Electronics Installer
imseth85 
Copper - Posts: 71
Copper spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 9:38 PM / IP Logged  
duct tape wrote:
i have never seen a properly installed SPDT 30 amp relay go bad, ever.   maybe i'm just a lucky guy, but i dont think so Starter Killer, How Safe it is? - Page 2 -- posted image.
You're absolutely right, they do not go bad I agree 100%. It's possible in rare cases of course, but it's a non-issue.
Seth Alvo     NY
Mobile Electronics Installer
Ravendarat 
Platinum - Posts: 2,806
Platinum spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 10:40 PM / IP Logged  
I think starter kill is a very safe feature and one that I use in conjunction with a antigrind set up on many remote starters, lock the doors, starter kill kicks in. I havent had it fail yet so to me its a non issue. Is it a real usefull deterent? Not overly, its fairly easy to bypass on most installs, HOWEVER it does stop people from popping the ignition on your intrepid and starting the car with a flat head. Anything that adds time onto a theif trying to steal your car is a win in your favour and improves your chance of your car being there in the morning.
double-secret reverse-osmosis speaker-cone-induced high-level interference distortion, Its a killer
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic