icon

Starter Killer, How Safe it is?

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
throwback2332 
Member - Posts: 41
Member spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 11:26 PM / IP Logged  
Starter kill is a feature that makes the car owner feels safe untill a installer has to come to the middle of no where and take 2 mintues to bypass it so the car will start. A real car thief can bypass an aftermarket unit easily. So its kinda ify.
If it's not custom, then it's not you.
jayno20 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 24, 2007 at 11:33 PM / IP Logged  
every second counts i'd say, even if they can bypass the starter kill in a minute, thats one more minute they wouldnt have had to mess around with it and one more minute that improves ur chances of them not taking the car... i just want to make sure that its not going to cause problems for me.
megatfauzi76 
Copper - Posts: 93
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 2:25 AM / IP Logged  
How bout 103T failsafe starter killer? Its is stand alone starter killer...Any comments?
Strykrincognito 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 26, 2007 at 11:41 AM / IP Logged  

I've been looking into the keypad based starter kill systems, and they're simple enough. The 103T has a neat little feature that makes it's backlit display the status LED for your system of choice.  It also has an overide feature for the dataports of DEI units for system control.

It seems like the general issues here that I can see from this thread is:

1) If you're doing the install yourself for your car or someone you know personally, YOU'LL know where everything is and how to teach yourself and/or your friend how to bypass it if doodie hits the fan. If you need to train a customer, give'em a cheat sheet or something to stuff in their wallet. DEI makes nice little cards for that most of the time.

2) They say you will never be able to stop a determined theif from stealing your car, regardless of breaking into it and taking everything that's inside and leaving the hull.  If you are worried about a thief getting under your dash or hood to start yanking wires, install custom shrouds to protect everything (This falls into the category of 'High Security Installs').

3) The only time I have seen relays go bad is if they are A) exposed to voltages outside their operating parameters, and B) are placed in environments where they are exposed to harsh weather elements, i.e. under the hood and not properly sealed, protected, etc.  I have had at least one relay go to hell on me, and it was mostly the socket that became corroded.

--Si

Angel
Lone Technician
Percussive Therapy: The art of executing applied force directly to an object accurately in an effort to remedy the problem at hand.
jayno20 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 28, 2007 at 11:29 PM / IP Logged  
So if you were me, and as of right now didn't have starter kill installed, would you take it back and get it put in?
Strykrincognito 
Member spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: January 29, 2007 at 11:28 AM / IP Logged  

Nutshell: If you're not comfortable with the tips for bypass noted below, my answer is NO.

If it were /my/ car, and I was having a starter kill installed, I would request as a part of the install that the shop _TEACH_ me how to bypass it in an emergency; this bypass could be a five minute snap or a 15-30 minute additional cost in training or hidden switch, etc.

Granted, the new DEI Starter Kill systems have a 'Failsafe' name attached to them, but for the record I don't know what that implies. However, for my current Starter Kill, if my alarm starts going wacky, I have a few options for emergencies, I believe one was mentioned earlier:    

Pull brain main harness (most starter kills are active on power only)  -or-

Find/know where the 'Ground-when-Armed' wire is (Orange on DEI units) and cut that   -or-
Have the unit programmed for a Vallet Button disarm feature  -or-
Have the 103T unit installed with a coded bypass...

Good luck.

Angel
Lone Technician
Percussive Therapy: The art of executing applied force directly to an object accurately in an effort to remedy the problem at hand.
jayno20 
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 12:12 AM / IP Logged  
so if the starter kill went wacky i could disarm it with the valet switch?
Strykrincognito 
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 10:43 AM / IP Logged  
Talk to your installer at this point, they would have the details.
Angel
Lone Technician
dre187 
Copper - Posts: 129
Copper spacespace
Posted: January 30, 2007 at 9:52 PM / IP Logged  
most alarms' valet switches work the same. if the alarm is going off, put the key in the cylinder and turn it to the 'on' position. some units you then just press and hold the switch and some you press-release, then press again and hold the switch ( such as d.e.i. product).
turbo_boss 
Member - Posts: 42
Member spacespace
Posted: February 10, 2007 at 9:40 AM / IP Logged  

ferretvw wrote:
however if you kill say the ignition or the fuel pump and the car is driving down the road it could end badly.

So everybody says no to interrup/kill the ignition..................So what do you do when you are instaling the antihijack feature?  Almost every alarm today come with the antihijack feature.

Inclusive the Clifford Black Jack kills the ignition.

THX,

Isaac

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic