voltage problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
wormy 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 12:06 AM / IP Logged  

So much for sleep...lol.

So, after actually reading the thread, I really should do that more often, I am guessing that the 12.9 is off of the speaker outputs.  If so, did you test it with or without the speaker hooked up?

...typically, I just run whatever I randomly pick up off the floor.
1995 Ford Ranger Supercab
MECA member
Team CSS
wormy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 12:15 AM / IP Logged  

haemphyst, if he turns his headunit up to the point just before clipping with the sub control down and then compare's the volume knob level for that to the volume knob level of the point just before clipping with the sub control up, what should the difference in the volume knob level be?

Does anyone else think I come up with the wierdest stuff...must be something about the ADHD...lol.

MECA member
Team CSS
stitch176917 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 8:41 AM / IP Logged  

Yes, i am blowing one of the 30A inline fuses that are on the amp its self.  i just check i have the subs wired exactally like in the pic, i sent to the parallel calculator and it still says im giving the amp a 1 ohm load. I'd say my skill level is definitly not great, but i've got an understanding of a lot of this stuff.

I got the voltage reading from the power and ground wires going into the amp. (i thought it was where your supposed to check it)

and are you saying i should be using 60A fuses instead of 30?

Thanks.

stitch176917 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 11:06 AM / IP Logged  
I just rechecked all my wiring and it is all the way its supposed to be. i went out and bought a 60A fuse though and put that in the amp instead of two 30s and it works perfect.  while the car is off it runs as low as 10.9 volts and while its running it will go as low as 11.6 no lights will dim and no fuses blown =P im gonna go out for a spin to make sure it still runs fine. i will post after. Thanks alot
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 1:05 PM / IP Logged  
You dont want to replace the amp fuses with anything other than what is supposed to be there. In this case, keep the 2 30 amp fuses in place. If you put higher rated fuses in their place, they will need alot more voltage in order to blow them, and that is not good. In turn your amp could fry even before the fuses blow. Take my advice and put those 30 amp fuses back in. Do you by any chance have access to another amp (test amp) to put in its place and try that one out? You might have something wrong with your amp. I have never seen an amp fuse blow unless their is something wrong with the amp. First off, you have the subs wired correctly or else your amp would heat up and go into protection. Your in line (power wire) fuse isnt blowing so therefore your amp is drawing more power through that fuse than what the fuse can handle. So I am telling you that there has to be something wrong with that amp.
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 1:22 PM / IP Logged  

OH HEAVENS!!

By no means did I want you to replace the fuses on the amplifier.... you're asking for a fire!

Put those 2 30's back in the amplifier. I meant put a 60 infront of the amplifier.... you know, that fuse that should beinline within the first 18 inches coming off the battery voltage problems - Page 2 -- posted image.

I'm gonna agree, I think the amp has something wrong with it. SOmethingarc welded, or some other razy madness, cause like audioman2007 says, doesn't make sense for it to blow an onboard fuse but not the one out in front, in the event that it's okay. So yeah, try to locate a test amp, see what happens.

Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
wormy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 2:49 PM / IP Logged  

I disagree with both of them...oh wait...no I don't...lol.  Never ever put a higher amperage fuse into the side of the amplifier.  Did you put a fuse in a fuse holder within 18 inches after the battery?  Its a very good idea...I promise.

The test you did at the power and ground inputs will tell you the voltage being brought into the amplifier, but that reading alone won't help me determine the power your amplifier is producing.  Switch your multimeter to AC and test the speaker ouputs that your speakers are hooked up to with the speakers unhooked.  I need you to do this test while playing a sine wave.  I'm sure jazzcustom131 can help you find one of those.  Tell him the lowest frequency you think you hit.  Use that to test your speaker output voltage.

MECA member
Team CSS
wormy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 29, 2007 at 9:30 PM / IP Logged  
Come on man...please.  I need some numbers to crunch.  I'm bored...lol.
MECA member
Team CSS
audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 3:01 PM / IP Logged  
I think the chip in the amp was soldered wrong. but wouldnt that mean the fuse would blow right away? This is just a weird situation and without actually looking at everything in person, I dont have any quality answers.
stitch176917 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 3:36 PM / IP Logged  
I' brought the multi meter back to work so im gonna have to bring it home tomorrow night. and yeah i replaced the 60a fuse and put the two 30s back in. i've got a 150 amp fuse within 18 inches of the battery not a 60. il try putting the 60 there instead?
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic