icon

voltage problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
stitch176917 
Member - Posts: 13
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 3:39 PM / IP Logged  
And no i dont have a test amp... the only other amp i have is for my rear speakers and its only a 350 watt and can only handle 4 ohm loads or more.
stitch176917 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 3:58 PM / IP Logged  
Well after putting the two 30A fuses back in i trued turning it up just to see if it would still blow. and nope it didn't even think about it... i looked and it was saying 11.6 volts and 75A current (the amp has a screen that says it all) and it was on 33/35 volume at subwoofer output on 0 it played AWSOME then the amp cut out and i looked back and it was flashing and it was flashing the temp of the amp it said 82C and 200F now i dont know a lot about amps but DAMN thats hot....
stitch176917 
Member spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 4:25 PM / IP Logged  

http://pix.crutchfield.com/kb/subs%5C2ch_amp_2_dvc4.JPG  here is how i have the subs wired. EXACTALLY like that, i didn't use the jumpers that came with them i used 10 gauge speaker wire. Now that i was reading up a bit i've got them wired to 4ohm (two 2ohm loads in series)

Now even witht he two 30 amp fuses in there and the subs on full blast the temperature goes up by 2degrees C every 2-4 seconds. I was talking to a guy at the local shop and he was saying that it sounds like a problem in the amp itsself because im blowing just 1 fuse and not both of them.

audioman2007 
Copper - Posts: 580
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 4:59 PM / IP Logged  
Is that a mono block amp?
wormy 
Copper - Posts: 76
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  
I agree with the guy at the shop.  That is sort of strange that the amp is only blowing one of the two fuses.  Of course, I don't know that much about the inner workings of an amp, just how to tweak one.  If you find the opportunity to buy a new amp, take it.  Just try and steer clear of Kenwood.  I don't have enough experience with them to talk bad about them, but I haven't heard anything good from the local dealer.
...typically, I just run whatever I randomly pick up off the floor.
1995 Ford Ranger Supercab
MECA member
Team CSS
jazzcustom131 
Copper - Posts: 175
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 5:08 PM / IP Logged  

I'm surprised Haemyphyst didn't beat me to this.

you can leave that fuse at the battery as is. Bringing it down to a 60 isn't going to do anything for you.

I agree, your amp seems to have an issue.

Greed is for amateurs.
Disorder,chaos,anarchy now THAT is fun!!
wormy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 5:10 PM / IP Logged  
I'm guessing that you are using a two channel amp.  I apologize.  I didn't realize.  That being the case, you cannot obtain a 1 ohm load.  I thought jazzcustom131 said it was a monoblock though?
MECA member
Team CSS
wormy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 5:19 PM / IP Logged  
turn the gain up on that amplifier until it reads 11.54 volts and do not wire it for a 1 ohm load.  jazzcustom131 fed me false information.  I was under the impression that that paticular amplifier was 1 ohm stable, but not according to the documentation I just looked over.  You might find that you would prefer the output of just one of those woofers in just the right enclosure rather than both of them at 4 ohms.  Compare just one at two ohms set with the 11.54 volt output voltage I told you to set it at with two of them at the same voltage at 4 ohms. 
MECA member
Team CSS
wormy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 5:20 PM / IP Logged  

Oh, by the way, that may help solve your fuse blowing issue, but then again, it may not.

MECA member
Team CSS
wormy 
Copper spacespace
Posted: May 30, 2007 at 5:23 PM / IP Logged  

Okay, I take back what I said about it not being 1 ohm stable.  I looked at a more detailed piece of documentation.  Just because it doesn't state it, doesn't mean it can't handle it...lol.  Go ahead and wire for 1 ohm and set the output voltage to 11.54 volts at 30 Hz.

MECA member
Team CSS
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic