the12volt.com spacer
the12volt.com spacer
icon

viper 160xvl and best buy, problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 03, 2007 at 9:23 AM / IP Logged  
jmatteau wrote:

They never hooked up the antigring or valet takeover, using the excuse that they do not hook them up unless requested because if something happens to the RS, you will not be able to start the car even with the key.  I let them know how unhappy I am, and have an appointment to get these hooked up with them..

They don't hook up a "common feature" that is well recommended.....just in case?  They seemingly have LITTLE FAITH in their product!

KarTuneMan 
Platinum - Posts: 7,056
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 03, 2007 at 9:32 AM / IP Logged  
jmatteau wrote:

Now, this morning, I start my Jeep when I get up, and by the time I get outsdie about ten minutes later I see that my Jeep is NOT running, but the lights are on confirming it is running, as well as my blower on.  When I got to work I looked up the install guide and found that they must not have hooked up the Engine Check, Tach wire/Voltage Sense, Voltage Check, etc.

I don't know everything.... and have NEVER claimed to, (heres proof)  WHY would the ign. and accs. all be lit up with the heater blowin.....if the engine was not running? HOW could this happen. If there is no tach signal, the unit SHOULD shut down. Every unit I have ever installed operated this way. There would be NO WAY to come out to the vehicle, and have it all up, and NOT running.

tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2007 at 9:35 AM / IP Logged  
only crappy units would do that. like generic units, they rely on oil pressure and most cars the light doesnt go out for a while, so some guys just connect it to the ACC and when it starts it fails and the uinit stays on anyways it thinks its on
voluster 
Member - Posts: 20
Member spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2007 at 10:21 AM / IP Logged  

I have 2 words to reply here

BEST BUY

I've un best buyed a few cars.

I don't understand why people still go to the big box stores

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Posted: December 03, 2007 at 12:18 PM / IP Logged  
FYI...the DEI products have a programmable option to 'ignore' whether or not the vehicle is running. To be honest I do not know what the practical application for this would be as I have never come across a need to use it. I do not know why any installer would have turned off the vehicle monitoring feature, especially in your 03 Jeep. It should be hooked up as tachometer monitoring.
voluster wrote:
I have 2 words to reply here
BEST BUY
I've un best buyed a few cars.
I don't understand why people still go to the big box stores
You can not classify all big box stores in the same category. It is possible that the Best Buy in your area has some installers that are not very good but you can not classify them all into that category. Although I never worked in a big box store, when I was in the industry I worked for an independent shop and when we hired installers not all of them were truly qualified to do what their resumes claimed they could do. We did however have pretty good luck with installers that left the big box stores for our shop. It truly depends on the person, not the store.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 03, 2007 at 7:19 PM / IP Logged  
jmatteau wrote:
Thanks for the replies. I called back this afternoon and they could not get me a sooner appointment, next week at the earliest. So I did call back and talked to the manager and they are going to *fix* it tomorrow night.
Jmatteau
Wow. It's only human to make an error and have the car not work.......I know of no installer who has a 0% comeback rate.
BUT, if you were my customer, and you called me, my response would be "How soon can you get back here? I want to make it right." Or it's likely I'd even come to you.
That's horrendous customer service to push you off like that.
techman93 
Silver - Posts: 591
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 03, 2007 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  
Amen! The customer's happiness will equal how much work they will eventually send you.
The wire I'm test'n isn't doin' what it's supposed to be doin'... I am so glad I printed that tech sheet, with the wrong info.
Do it right the first time... or I might have to fix it for ya
jmatteau 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2007 at 6:16 AM / IP Logged  

Well, I went in last night and the guy working on it was great.  He seemed sincere and wanted to help.  I explained to him that if they would have taken the time to go over the features and unit with me before and after installation, this would have never happened, that when I got home and started finding things on my own,that did not make me happy at all.  He agreed. 

The tach was hooked up, but they set the threshold to Low and re-learned it.  They hooked up the valet switch and lights, hooked up the horn and a few little other odds and ends. 

Here is another question for you all.  The unit is hooked up to tach, they did not want to turn on the check engine feature stating that the unit thinks the car did not start and continues to grind the starter.  They stated that does not happen all time, but enough that it causes problems.  They said because the module is not OEM and made for a specific vehicle, it gets confused.  I call BS on this, but what is the deal?  I was thinking of programming it on via the valet button (provided they do not have it locked) and trying it for myself.

Thanks.

jmatteau 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2007 at 6:21 AM / IP Logged  

Oh, and as far as the crappy range, they had no advise on that.  Just staed it is hooked up and ran correctly and it is a brand new product line so Viper may be misrepresenting its range.  But 50 yards is not satisfactory for range, I need to start looking into this for myself I guess and check out if they have the wire all rolled up tight.  He mentioned it is "balled up in the A pillar like it is supposed to be".

J

Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Posted: December 04, 2007 at 6:44 AM / IP Logged  
I am glad to hear that they have tried to make things right by you.
BUT: Does that sound right to you? A huge company like DEI making false claims on their products is just total BS. That product is not that new, yes it was only recently released for sale but it was development for YEARS and the release of it was pushed back several times.
I have NEVER turned off engine checking, that just makes no sense to me at all. The engine checking being off is why your lights and accessories were on when you got to the vehicle and found it was not running. This truly makes no sense to me as to why they would turn the engine checking off. The manual for the 160 is in the downloads section, you can turn the feature back on easily.
50 yards is NOT acceptable. The antenna wire is not to be balled up anywhere, it is to be run straight out, NOT balled up. It should be fully extended, never wrapped up in a ball. Simply extending this wire out properly will increase your range.
That unit claims 1 mile operating range and you should get at least close to that much better than 150'. The reason you pay more for that model instead of the cheaper model is because of range. 150' is easily achievable with the non-sst units. I have the Python version of the same system in my personal truck, I just swapped it out from an older system and the range on it is down right impressive. I have never walked it out to see if I get the full 5280' but I have been over 2K feet away and started the truck with no problems. I would try turning off the code hopping (option 1-16) and see if your range increases. Keep in mind that there are a lot of factors that affect the operating range of these systems, like weather, buildings, radio frequencies in the area, etc but you should still get better than what you are claiming.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic