icon

viper 160xvl and best buy, problems

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
sqall12001 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2007 at 12:21 PM / IP Logged  
I've un circuit citied, electronic expressed and other places too, and i'm a best buy installer, It just depends on the installer and quality of the bay. It probably has a limit on how long it'll stay started, usually 10 min? Doesn't explain why the blower and headlights were on though.
-Nick
jmatteau 
Member - Posts: 24
Member spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2007 at 3:14 PM / IP Logged  

sqall12001 wrote:
I've un circuit citied, electronic expressed and other places too, and i'm a best buy installer, It just depends on the installer and quality of the bay. It probably has a limit on how long it'll stay started, usually 10 min? Doesn't explain why the blower and headlights were on though.
-Nick

It is on a 24 minute timer, wasn't that.  The engine check was not and still is not on.

mobile1 
Silver - Posts: 479
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2007 at 7:58 PM / IP Logged  
[QUOTE=Twelvoltz]FYI...the DEI products have a programmable option to 'ignore' whether or not the vehicle is running. To be honest I do not know what the practical application for this would be as I have never come across a need to use it. I do not know why any installer would have turned off the vehicle monitoring feature, especially in your 03 Jeep. It should be hooked up as tachometer monitoring.
I installed a viper 771 into a 06 Prius. I had to shut the engine checking off, because unless the gas engine turned on, it couldn't read a tach or voltage signal. There are some instances where you need to do this, very rare instances but still.
Twelvoltz 
Platinum - Posts: 2,384
Platinum spaceThis member has made a donation to the12volt.com. Click here for more info.spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: December 04, 2007 at 8:24 PM / IP Logged  
mobile1 wrote:
I installed a viper 771 into a 06 Prius. I had to shut the engine checking off, because unless the gas engine turned on, it couldn't read a tach or voltage signal. There are some instances where you need to do this, very rare instances but still.
Very valid point, if the car's computer takes over completely I could see turning off the engine checking. Or in this case, a Hybrid that has no true voltage or tachometer increase. I have yet to do a Hybrid so in my experience no need yet, but yes that is a very valid example of the use of needing to turn that feature off.
Installer, IT support, and FFL. I need less hobbies.
extreme1 
Silver - Posts: 1,070
Silver spacespace
Posted: December 04, 2007 at 9:41 PM / IP Logged  
Twelvoltz wrote:
mobile1 wrote:
Very valid point, if the car's computer takes over completely I could see turning off the engine checking. Or in this case, a Hybrid that has no true voltage or tachometer increase. I have yet to do a Hybrid so in my experience no need yet, but yes that is a very valid example of the use of needing to turn that feature off.
05+ ford superduties need engine check turned off and 4 second crank turned on. voltage sense doesn't work and it won't use tach on that vehicle.
Shaughn Murley
Install Manager, Dealer Services
Visions Electronics
Red Deer, Alberta
sqall12001 
Member - Posts: 3
Member spacespace
Posted: December 05, 2007 at 9:19 AM / IP Logged  
If you can "trick a hybrid" or actually do it, make it think the a/c is on and the gas engine will start ;)
-Nick
jmatteau 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2007 at 2:30 PM / IP Logged  
Well, still getting poor range so I took a look for myself just now. The antenna wire was all coiled up tight, so I cut the zip tie and straightened it out. Then I checked the ground for the RS. It has 4 ohm's to the battery, not 0 or 1, but 4 should not be to bad right? I looked around under the kick panel and I cannot find a better ground than that. What say you?
tedmond 
Gold - Posts: 4,610
Gold spaceThis member has been recognized as an authority in Mobile Security and Convenience. Click here for more info.spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2007 at 2:47 PM / IP Logged  
try regrouding it. 4 ohms? that is sure alot for a ground spot. make sure its all metal chassis area clean of paint and any residue, and use a BOLT or an area that has a factory bolt. drilling ur own isnt always best cuz u might hit sumthing so jsut find a factory bolt, put a o ring around the ground wire and ground that badboy and thats it.
vitrox 
Copper - Posts: 96
Copper spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2007 at 5:28 PM / IP Logged  

there are plenty of small specialty stores out there that are just as bad as best buy or circuit city.  I don't have either of those stores here so i cannot comment on installers at them, but i'm sure some stores have inexperienced installers.  I've taken out many many remote starters coming from the lower48 that were an abomination.  Every install coming from the states has been horrible from the units i've seen.  maybe you should just come to alaska where we do it right. viper 160xvl and best buy, problems - Page 3 -- posted image.

anyway, the antenna cord should never ever ever be ziptied in a coil.  the zip tie pinches the wires inside the antenna cords and can severely limit range.  any excess slack on the antenna should be strung across the top of the windshield under the headliner to get maximum range.  also if you have tint on your windshield, even the eyebrow, you should have the antenna mounted below that line.

re-ground that unit. 4ohms is high. a good ground must be on a painted surface (with the paint scuffed away) so that you can make a good electrical connection to it.  it also must not be on a secondary body surface, such as a brace that is spot welded to the body.

extreme1, you can goto the crank positioning sensor for tach on the newer ford diesels.

jmatteau 
Member spacespace
Posted: December 08, 2007 at 5:39 PM / IP Logged  

I stretched the antenna wire out straight under the kick panel, will try to get it in the headliner when we get another nice day.  As far as the ground, there is nothing else under there I can see to ground it to.  Again, when w get a nice day, I will have to dig around more.

I could just bring it back to BB, but honestly, I am sick of them (this store not all).  It was a sloppy install, unit just zip tied in place to the wire harness, antenna wire, service, ground, etc.  At this point I will just work on finishing it up myself.

I am going to take pictures hopefully tomorrow and try to get my money back, or at least a partial refund.

Page of 4

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic