icon

2009 Hummer H3 Remote Start Review

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
mobiletint 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 4:30 PM / IP Logged  

YES definately. If you control everything with the ADS module the customers brand new hummer will still behave like it did from the factory.

Not controlling the alarm leaves dome lights on and other random things that the customer will not be pleased about.

The module will do alot for you and make a much better install, which makes you look awesome and their system more reliable. People dont like losing features if they dont have to.

tbird2340 
Copper - Posts: 363
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 5:51 PM / IP Logged  
mobiletint wrote:

YES definately. If you control everything with the ADS module the customers brand new hummer will still behave like it did from the factory.

Not controlling the alarm leaves dome lights on and other random things that the customer will not be pleased about.

The module will do alot for you and make a much better install, which makes you look awesome and their system more reliable. People dont like losing features if they dont have to.

So you're saying to get the ADS-DLSL-GM and not go the bypass route?
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 6:01 PM / IP Logged  
I actually have an INT-SL in stock.. It looks like it works with the Hummer.. Should I just use it? Is there a way to know if I would have issues not going the relay route?
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 6:43 PM / IP Logged  
Never mind.. The INT-SL doesn't work standalone it needs to be coupled with the PASSLOCK-SL2..
mobiletint 
Member - Posts: 47
Member spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 7:33 PM / IP Logged  

tbird2340 wrote:
I actually have an INT-SL in stock.. It looks like it works with the Hummer.. Should I just use it? Is there a way to know if I would have issues not going the relay route?

It would be alot easier and more reliable to use the ADS with GM4. If something happened with your relay home made style bypass, you could leave the customer stranded somewhere if the passlock locks out.

tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 7:38 PM / IP Logged  
mobiletint wrote:

tbird2340 wrote:

It would be alot easier and more reliable to use the ADS with GM4. If something happened with your relay home made style bypass, you could leave the customer stranded somewhere  if the passlock locks out.

Well if the ADS is 100% reliable then yea, that's the way I'll go.. Reading the posts in my thread and another Hummer thread on here seems to be the opposite though.. A lot of installers had problems with all kinds of bypasses and the people who did the two relay bypass never had a comeback..
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 15, 2009 at 8:59 PM / IP Logged  
ive personally never had a comeback using the 2 relay method, i also have never tried any module as i too have read all the horror stories here and from talking to other installers that used modules, but as stated before the problem with not using a module like idatalink is you cannot control arming or disarming the factory alarm ,and yes if by some strange reason the customer locked doors with the factory fob and tried to unlock with your aftermarket fob the factory alarm would sound and only disarm when they turned ignition on with their key, also if they locked via factory fob and used our remote start, horn would issue a few honks before disarming and starting(this is casued b alarm seeing ign a second or 2 before seeing resistor code on hybrid passlock wires
Chris Luongo 
Platinum - Posts: 3,746
Platinum spaceThis member consistently provides reliable informationspace
Posted: November 16, 2009 at 9:52 AM / IP Logged  
tbird2340 wrote:
1. So I don't have to worry about the arm/disarm wires if the customer doesn't use the oem remote?
2. If the customer would happen to lock with the oem remote and then try a remote start the alarm would go off, right?
3. Is it worth the trouble to even bother keeping the oem alarm intact with the aftermarket remote start?
1. Right.
2. The factory alarm almost certainly won't go off during remote start, even if it is armed.   
The issue would be if the customer sets the factory alarm, and then unlocks with your new aftermarket remote...the alarm would trigger. And then starting the engine with the key would disarm the alarm again.
3. That's up to you, your customer, and your level of honesty.
Some installers just hook up aftermarket keyless and hope the customer never notices.
You could talk him into an alarm/starter combo, which would make up for the lack of factory alarm........I'll bet the difference in your cost for a combo versus an RS/keyless unit, is probably less than the cost of a data module.
Another option, although less money/profit for you, would be to sell him a one-button remote starter, and have him keep his factory remotes for locks, and he'll keep his factory alarm too.
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 16, 2009 at 9:53 AM / IP Logged  
Chris Luongo wrote:
tbird2340 wrote:
1. So I don't have to worry about the arm/disarm wires if the customer doesn't use the oem remote?
2. If the customer would happen to lock with the oem remote and then try a remote start the alarm would go off, right?
3. Is it worth the trouble to even bother keeping the oem alarm intact with the aftermarket remote start?
1. Right.
2. The factory alarm almost certainly won't go off during remote start, even if it is armed.   
The issue would be if the customer sets the factory alarm, and then unlocks with your new aftermarket remote...the alarm would trigger. And then starting the engine with the key would disarm the alarm again.
3. That's up to you, your customer, and your level of honesty.
Some installers just hook up aftermarket keyless and hope the customer never notices.
You could talk him into an alarm/starter combo, which would make up for the lack of factory alarm........I'll bet the difference in your cost for a combo versus an RS/keyless unit, is probably less than the cost of a data module.
Another option, although less money/profit for you, would be to sell him a one-button remote starter, and have him keep his factory remotes for locks, and he'll keep his factory alarm too.
I'm doing a two way starter so the one button is out.. What exactly would the customer lose if the factory alarm never gets armed? Thanks!
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2009 at 7:06 AM / IP Logged  
Ok. So I'm doing the Hummer tomorrow night and I'm leaning towards the relay solution as it sounds more reliable..
Question though.. If one of the relays would happen to go bad then the customer would be SOL and totally unable to start the vehicle, right? That is SCARY! Is there any way around this doing it the relay way?
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic