icon

2009 Hummer H3 Remote Start Review

Post ReplyPost New Topic
< Prev Topic Next Topic >
jim hunter 
Silver - Posts: 351
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2009 at 3:38 PM / IP Logged  
not true tbird as a relays failsafe is to remain closed(pin 87a and pin 30 connected)which would therefore leave the factory wiring intact so to speak if ailed, also in 20 yrs i have seen almost no relays fail when wired proerly and in a weathersafe environment, youd have to have a remote start and relay failure at the same time to be an issue, unless your connections were not solid and came apart
tbird2340 
Copper - Posts: 363
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2009 at 3:40 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Jim... You made me feel MUCH more confident about this now..
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2009 at 3:54 PM / IP Logged  
These two diagrams are slightly different.. The audiovox has pin 86 of relay A connected to pin 85 of Relay B and those connected to IGN 3 from remote start?
The other one has the same thing but connected to Ground out when running.. I think everything else looks the same..
2009 Hummer H3 Remote Start Review - Page 3 -- posted image.
2009 Hummer H3 Remote Start Review - Page 3 -- posted image.
jim hunter 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2009 at 6:30 PM / IP Logged  
audiovox ign 3 is a ground when running output(neg ign3 relay needed if used as a 3rd ignition)
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2009 at 6:48 PM / IP Logged  
So I like to try and figure out what the relays are doing because I like to try to understand things better to get more experienced with relays..
So at rest.. Pins 30 and 87A are connected, right? So that means that if you look at the relay on the right, pins 30 and 87A actually connect the wire that you have to cut?
Then, when energized the white wire gets connected to the WHITE/ black wire through the resistor?
If anyone could explain what really is going on I would greatly appreciate it..
Thanks!
jim hunter 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2009 at 7:03 PM / IP Logged  
no if you look when at rest relay 1 is sending its signal to the at rest(idle) pin 87 on relay 2n when you activate remote start relays are sending the resistor signal to the ecm( relay 2 has isolated it away from ign switch), it sends the signal during start cycle then relay 2 is keeping it seeing resistor during remote start run cycle
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2009 at 7:12 PM / IP Logged  
So the relay on the right sends connects the cut wire when that relay isn't charged enabling the vehicle to start with the key, right?
So at rest, relay on the left is sending his signal to pin 87 of the right relay which really doesn't do anything when the relays are at rest..
Then, when remote started both coils get energized and the resistor gets sent to the ECM?
Last question, promise.. When I put my meter to Ohms will it give a value like "100" or something and then I just get a 100 ohm resistor?
chriswallace187 
Gold - Posts: 1,661
Gold spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2009 at 7:22 PM / IP Logged  
What's happening is this - at rest, the white and the WHITE/ black are not connected.
When the remote starter powers up the ignition, the white and WHITE/ black are shorted together and the white is isolated from the switch, since only the relay on the right has its coil energized at this time.
When the remote starter attempts to crank, the coil on the left relay activates and connects the white and WHITE/ black through the resistor. The relay on the right is also still activated at this time.
Once the remote start stops attempting to crank after a programmed time has passed(voltage sense mode) or a valid tach signal is being received(tach sense mode), the left relay returns to rest and the white and WHITE/ black are shorted together for the duration of the run cycle.
C Renner's Auto Electronix
My service is cheap, quick, and good - pick any two
jim hunter 
Silver spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2009 at 7:27 PM / IP Logged  
i stand corrected chris. thanks for setting us straight LOL,
tbird2340 
Copper spacespace
Posted: November 18, 2009 at 8:09 PM / IP Logged  
Thanks Chris.. So is that the same thing that will happen when they insert the key? If a relay died, would they still be able to start the car?
Page of 9

Printable version Printable version Post ReplyPost New Topic